Usps>ups

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have found USPS cheap and fast. No tracking. However, often UPS tells you nothing until ''Out for delivery'' on the day you get it.

I live in MD and ordered 2 chains from Baileys, was told they would be here on the following Friday, arrived on Wednesday by UPS. I was happy for 2 reasons, shipment was before scheduled delivery, and I work for UPS.

I ship most of my ebay stuff with the USPS Flat Rate Boxes. I kinda hate to do it, but UPS and Fedx can't compete with the USPS with the Flat Rate Boxes. UPS and FedX both opperate at a profit. The USPS opperates at a loss, and you and I pick up the difference through taxes. So, thanks for helping me ship my stuff on the cheap, Joe.

For smaller lighter stuff usps beats the heck out of ups if you don't need to track it. You can go on both there sites with approx. weights and check there pricing. Check before you ship you may be suprised.

The USPS opperates at a loss, and you and I pick up the difference through taxes. So, thanks for helping me ship my stuff on the cheap, Joe.

For the quality of service I've been getting from my mail carrier and the USPS overall, I am glad to help you ship your stuff on the cheap.

:)

My new-to-me 460 came in the mail about an hour ago. It was shipped USPS, parcel post from Sacramento, CA on Tuesday, arrived here in Texas Saturday at 10AM for $25.

Actually, the postal service does not receive any tax dollars.

Yep and most folks don't know that :msp_cool:

I ship and receive a ton of stuff and use USPS Flat Rate most of the time. Tracking is actually pretty good with delivery conformation and excellent with Express Mail. 20+ years and rarely a problem.

I've had much better luck receiving from, than shipping with UPS. They're not too bad though.

I can't stand FedEx! Even had an account for a while. USPS is more reliable and cheaper.

Count me in on the "hates FedEx" list.

Maybe they're OK for business customers in town or on major routes. Twice I have ordered things online and eventually recieved them via UPS..with an added charge! Fedex will NOT deliver to rural addresses if they have nothing else nearby on that day, and if they "try" for 3 days, the package goes back to the shipper. Apparently "trying" can mean as little as looking to see if there are many other deliveries in the area.

A neighbor who's had a similar problem believes that FedEx's real problem is that they are willing to sacrifice a small amount of business in some areas rather than add drivers or routes when the numbers don't add up to a certain margin. Packages *could* be sent back because the delivery staff at a small terminal was overloaded. I guess I can see that, but if UPS can make it go, I'd expect them to be able to work it out as well.

Eventually the shipper gets the package back, emails or calls the customer to see what's up. The only recourse is to try another carrier, adding charges for all the trips to the bill. In the end, I avoid online purchasing if FedEx is the favored option of the seller.

Too many probs with UPS over the last few years. The straw that broke the camels back was when I was waiting for them to deliver my McCulloch Super 250. I checked the website for an arrival date, and when that day arrived nothing on the steps. 2 days later... same deal. Website still showed "package out for delivery".

Then the next day... it said it was "undeliverable" due to circumstances beyond UPS's control.

I called the local UPS delivery hub, and they had no record of the paclage every coming back after it went out for delivery. I was pissed!!! I figured someone stole my saw...

Or it was lost or broke and they were covering their behinds. After almost a month. A very nice gal that was working there searched the entire warehouse. Found it sitting behind a bunch of pallets of cardboard. Saw sitting on the floor... and the ripped up box stuffed in the waste bin.

She boxed it up that night, and drove it to my house personally with her private vehicle after she got off of work.

if it wouldn't have been for her. I would never have gottten my saw.

I will never, ever, ever... use UPS for any reason.

Gary

I stand corrected. My buddy rants and rants about the USPS, so that's where I got my info. I use the Flat Rate Boxes alot, even though I would rather us UPS just because I work there.

By the way, what kind of Mopars do you have, Joe.

I agree :agree2:

Their tracking is total BS. They won't post nothing for 3 days and then, wen your shipment comes, you look and it says shipped. :laugh:

Whats the use of giving tracking numbers if you're not going to update it? :bang:
Because they are actually not tracking numbers, but delivery confirmation numbers proving that the package was delivered to the address

Because they are actually not tracking numbers, but delivery confirmation numbers proving that the package was delivered to the address

They call them tracking numbers now. Just a week or so ago they changed the labels to say Tracking # instead of Delivery Confirmation number. Funny thing though, I don't know if anything else has changed in how/when they scan the packages:msp_lol:

Check on there websites for a price compairson on different weight packages you will be suprised the difference,some smaller stuff it may cost you as much to ship as its worth. Also I know a usps carrier in a rural area and alot of times the ups wont bother going out to deliver if they dont have a alot of packages in the area they will just drop it off at the post office to have them deliver it out in the country. But I do know the ups works very hard,I see our poor driver during busy times of the year out in our area still at 6:30-7:00 at nite and he is running.

Yes and no. It is managed by the federal government, and it's upper management is selected by the Senate and the President. So that's tax dollars there. Then there's the 4,000 member strong postal inspection service which is most definitely a government entity...

Also bear in mind that the USPS have a monopoly on access to US Mail Boxes. Only they can deliver to them. So UPS and FedEX must deliver to a building or a person. The USPS is charged with delivering mail to any and all US Citizens within US territories, even if they must contract out to do so(as is often the case in Alaska and on islands). The nice thing about the USPS is if they can not find you, and you have a local PO Box, and sometimes if not, it waits at the PO for you. However, with UPS and FedEX, you can call CS and tell them where to deliver it to if you wish for it to be rerouted.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back