Utility Trailer for Garden Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowawoodcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on a good trailer for a garden tractor. I cut in the woods behind my house and would like to get something I can hook to my tractor that will carry a decent load and reasonable price. Also, don't want some flimsy metal craftsman trailer that will only sport a couple hundred pounds and wear out after a year. Getting real tired of hauling out with wheelbarrow.

I have a 1969 IH 104 gear drive with ag tires that I rebuilt the engine on that should suit this purpose just perfect.

thanks

Might as well look at an ATV trailer from someplace like Farm & Fleet or Northern Tools. It will stay manueverable in the woods, has ATV style tires and the load capacity will be more than your tractor will handle. I've seen them right around $300.

i built a 4x8 to pull with a 4 wheeler i bought axle and spring's from tsc
i found those small spare tires will hold more wieght,and keep the trailer narrow, are dang near free just have to find right bolt pattern, wide tire's are better if your on soft gound

USE CAUTION BALLANCE YOUR LOAD IT WILL CARRY ALOT OF WIEGHT

..IT WILL STAND UP OR FLIP BACK IF YOU LOAD TO MUCH ON THE FRONT..
4 WHEELER .......OR LAWN MOWER

Best thing you can do is put a real ball hitch on the trailer and a ball on the tractor, it will make pulling much easier and it wont bounce around like a pin hitch will. Also make sure the ball is at the right height on the tractor.

I just picked up a flatbed quad trailer for an ATV with 18 and 1/2 inch tires at tractorsupply for 240 bucks. 1 inch axles and a solid frame. Much more solid than even the best agrifab trailers they have and even less expensive. I guess because its a flatbed without any kind of cab. I just took the cab part of my torn up old trailer and bolted it on some 2x4s on to the flatbed and now I have a great little trailer that can haul wood uphills that tracks well behind my quad. I will work just as well behind a tractor........

Super Xst from Otter Outdoors

Check out this link from Otter Outdoors. I've been using the Super Xst for a few years now and am very pleased with it. This is not the cheapest trailer out there but you can haul a lot in it. The bed will swivel from side to side and even dump, sometimes that comes in handy. I use mine behind my ATV to do all kinds of yardwork, including hauling firewood. They make a few different size trailers, pick which one works best for you. Good luck. https://eelement.appolis.com/OTTEROUTDOORS/eproddetail.asp?S=67&P=5050&PubID=4393&V=7&PID=1701&iss=

Last edited:
Hi Iowa.

I went through the same process of getting a cart this last spring. I finally went with a Brinly Hardy 17 cu. ft. poly cart. I got it at HD for $300. I'm very satisfied with it. I use a 2005 Simplicity Conquest to haul off my neighbors property.

Here's a couple pics and vids.

Fieldsedge.jpg

LogLoad-1.jpg

Kevin

The local TSC had what looked like the standard type garden tractor trailer but on steroids.....Much more hevy duty & bigger then a standard one, with tires about the size of MGA's homemade job and a dump bed......$189....looked like a hell of a deal to me.

Careful with a 4x8 trailer if you have hills/inclines to climb.....You can haul quite a bit on a 4x8 and I can definitely see a garden tractor choking on that....IMO

Very nice trailer...good job!

hey...thanks!

i put a 2" ball hitch on it and a 2" ball on the lawn tractor. (no...i don't use it on the road) i wanted to be able to move my other trailers around when i had to using the lawn tractor.

that way..everything is universal.

i use a crapsman trailer its 30" widex4ft 12" tall but i doubled the height with 1/8" steel. so i essentially doubled the capacity. its rated for 1k lbs. it has wheel barrow tires. tractor i use is a 12.5 hp with tire chains. i think i paid maybe $100 a couple years ago oh and it dumps too.

i can guarantee you if you even came anywhere near close to loading down a 4x8 with wood the tractor would just sit there and dig a nice hole.
to quote leslie neilson "like a blind man at an orgy your gonna have to feel things out" youll see the best way to handle the load with a lawn tractor and how heavy you can push the load before it turns into more trouble than its worth.

The riding mower and 4x8x2'sides, 1/2 cord of split oak, moves along fine so far, but I stick to moving when the ground is on the dry side if at all possible.

The trailer is somekind of vehicle drop axle, with a 17" rim and a 16" rim, and tubular tongue, no springs. The frame/axle cost $5. , plus two used tires that hold air, fit the rims and make it level. The box is just plywood and 2x4's, and 1/2" plywood strips for horizontal sides, all scraps leftover from other projecs.

Tried it on the road once.

Its a homestead only trailer now.

It will take quite a load, and the mower does pretty well considering the tires, wet slopes greater than 5* need to be switchbacked with a heavy load.

The weak point is the hitch frame, just sheet metal angles. Need to weld up something out of 1/4" metal that slides into the tractor frame for greater strength.

When I told the dealer what I do with that little mower and trailer he..:jawdrop:

i use a crapsman trailer its 30" widex4ft 12" tall but i doubled the height with 1/8" steel. so i essentially doubled the capacity. its rated for 1k lbs. it has wheel barrow tires. tractor i use is a 12.5 hp with tire chains. i think i paid maybe $100 a couple years ago oh and it dumps too.

i can guarantee you if you even came anywhere near close to loading down a 4x8 with wood the tractor would just sit there and dig a nice hole.
to quote leslie neilson "like a blind man at an orgy your gonna have to feel things out" youll see the best way to handle the load with a lawn tractor and how heavy you can push the load before it turns into more trouble than its worth.

A mans got to know his limitations. I know I could pull more then the Brinly in my post......but when you get to hills in the woods, then it gets tricky. You can also add sides and a front to the Brinly if you need too.

I was checking out the Polar trailers at NT that Johnny Ringo posted the link for. Nice unit, but after shipping cost it really wasn't worth it for me. I couldn't find a local dealer.

Nice job on your trailer MGA.

Kevin

Back