Utility Trailer for Garden Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up with a 3 slip motorcycle trailer (free from a friend), decided it would make a good ATV trailer for around the house. We cut off the rails and used them for side rails, then extended the tongue. It will haul a heavy load but you have to be careful when the ground is soft with the narrow tires.

Mostly use it when trimming fence rows or moving some wood around the piles.

trailer.jpg

4wheeler_haulin.jpg

throw some old ATV tires on there. they're wide enough to keep it from sinking in the mud.

i'm new but do ya mind if i chime in?
i use one of my 30yrold wheel horses with a homebuilt/modified trailer, still need to get the sides tied together but it works well.. As long as it's dry...
even with AG tires 60lb wheel weights and chains. if i overload when wet, i can't get up to the garage.
Bigger tractor is in the works for the spring. which will then justify a bigger trailer.
still reading and reading here. need to ask questions but am finding more info then i can digest.
plus the sun is up so time to go cut............

DSC01646smallwagon.jpg

hey...welcome to the forum!!

no need to ask if you can jump in any discussion...all replies are appreciated.

Swisher's garden trailers are heavier guage steel than the Agri-Fab/Craftsman/Huskee types. And their customer service is quite good too.

I bought one last year at TSC which was actually cheaper than the flimsier Huskee.

my wife saw the John Deere 17p (plastic) at home depot for 330$ today and she really liked it. She will be using it for gardening too. Plus I have 200$ in HD gift cards so that will probably be the one we get. Thanks for all the replies!!!

i'm new but do ya mind if i chime in?
i use one of my 30yrold wheel horses with a homebuilt/modified trailer, still need to get the sides tied together but it works well.. As long as it's dry...
even with AG tires 60lb wheel weights and chains. if i overload when wet, i can't get up to the garage.
Bigger tractor is in the works for the spring. which will then justify a bigger trailer.
still reading and reading here. need to ask questions but am finding more info then i can digest.
plus the sun is up so time to go cut............

DSC01646smallwagon.jpg

oh course you can chime in!! Even though judging by your equipment and woodstack, you are a rank smelling total amateur, we appreciate all responses. (just kidding) BTW, I really like the old wheel horse. Always wanted one. I have a 1969 IH 104 that I rebuilt the engine (threw a rod, impact damage at bottom of cylinder) on a few years ago. Never rebuilt an engine before, so that was quite fun!

couple of pictures of the 104 and the JD 214 I rebuilt also. The 104 looks like crap, but runs like a champ.

my wife saw the John Deere 17p (plastic) at home depot for 330$ today and she really liked it. She will be using it for gardening too. Plus I have 200$ in HD gift cards so that will probably be the one we get. Thanks for all the replies!!!

Hi Iowa.
That JD 17P is the exact same trailer as the Brinly that is pictured in my post on this thread. HD sells that too, unless your local one is out. If you want to pay $30 more for the yellow and green, go for it. Oh, I forgot, your wife liked it and will be using it.
Dis-regard.:)

Kevin

Welcome Aboard DSM382
I haul my wood around my property with a 1967 Simplicity Sovereign (12HP Briggs Cast Iron).
These old foot draggers are a lot of fun.:clap:

Best advice: Build something yourself. I have yet to see something store-bought that is up to the task of hauling real loads with any frequency. The HF kits are OK for this purpose, but will torque themselves apart if used off-pavement very much. A little quality time with the welder and some scrap steel should get you a much better product!

And I'm envious of y'alls garden tractors. I had to suck it up and sell my Wheelhorse a few months back owing to it needing some major engine work before too long and having no real need for it on my little downtown lot, but hope to be able to find something else to play with/restore/rehab before too long. An older, small-frame Wheelhorse would be ideal, as would a gear-driven Cub...so if anyone has one laying around they want to see go to a good home more than they want to get a load of cash for...

Last edited:
Best advice: Build something yourself. I have yet to see something store-bought that is up to the task of hauling real loads with any frequency. The HF kits are OK for this purpose, but will torque themselves apart if used off-pavement very much. A little quality time with the welder and some scrap steel should get you a much better product!

And I'm envious of y'alls garden tractors. I had to suck it up and sell my Wheelhorse a few months back owing to it needing some major engine work before too long and having no real need for it on my little downtown lot, but hope to be able to find something else to play with/restore/rehab before too long. An older, small-frame Wheelhorse would be ideal, as would a gear-driven Cub...so if anyone has one laying around they want to see go to a good home more than they want to get a load of cash for...

i just sold a cub cadet 12hp for 75 bucks. it had a problem with the transaxle and i was too lazy to bother with it. it was a model 1225. damn thing ran good, just that rear end.......

hmmmmm....load of cash, my ears are listening!!

Welcome Aboard DSM382
I haul my wood around my property with a 1967 Simplicity Sovereign (12HP Briggs Cast Iron).
These old foot draggers are a lot of fun.:clap:
thank you for the welcome.

oh course you can chime in!! Even though judging by your equipment and woodstack, you are a rank smelling total amateur, we appreciate all responses. (just kidding) BTW, I really like the old wheel horse. Always wanted one. I have a 1969 IH 104 that I rebuilt the engine (threw a rod, impact damage at bottom of cylinder) on a few years ago. Never rebuilt an engine before, so that was quite fun!
'rank smelling total amateur' ? not sure how to take that :D....
oh and the wife stacks ALL the wood, so I don't complain on how it looks, nor would you i would bet :D!!

been cutting and burning (7cord a winter on avg) here at this house for 7 yrs. with what i have, poor men have poor ways........:)
grew up buring wood and helping dad cut for 10yrs.....
but i do have TONS to learn from what i have found here.
need to do some chain sharping for one.........

computeruser
your right about the old WH's this one i have here pushes gravel, and big logs to the spliter with ease...saves my back...:D

DSC03680small.jpg

Last edited:
thank you for the welcome.

'rank smelling total amateur' ? not sure how to take that :D....

I was just joking, if you have been cutting for seven years, you have five years on me. I liked the look of your operation and anyone who has and "old iron" tractor is ok in my book.

I was just joking, if you have been cutting for seven years, you have five years on me. I liked the look of your operation and anyone who has and "old iron" tractor is ok in my book.
i knew that..:D..... but it's fun to have fun...............
yeah and the old tractor will be around for long long long time...........runs and idles so smoooothhhhhhhhh........................
has a few issues but it's nice to have real Metal there to work with :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back