vac/pressure test rubber

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4cyl2vy

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I searched a bit and came up with one or two answers, but was wondering what everyone is using for the rubber to do their vacuum/pressure tests? Will the inner tube from a bike work? I saw someone was using a motorcross innertube, but I was kinda hoping someone had an idea where I can get rubber that comes flat to begin with. I will see if i can get an old split rim inner tube from work monday, but in the mean time anyone have any suggestions maybe easily sourced from HD, lowes, plumbing supply or the like?

Bicycle inner tube is perfect, that is what I am using.

I hole punch the rubber so it will stay in place when sliding the carb in place or muffler. Kind of like have an extra hand.

Rubber roof material comes flat already and is nice and thick. There are always plenty of scraps leftover from a roof job. Probably wouldn't be to hard to find a piece.

How's that P51 doing? Is that what your testing?

The P51 is done and a monster. I fitted it with a 28" NOS bar and 3/8 skip. I got it in some 22" red oak the other day and it rips. :rock: Video soon.

In answer to the second part of your question, I am having fuel issues with a poulan 3700 in craftsman colors that I have been tinkering with and I think it needs seals. I was using some hard(er) rubber I had on hand but it is leaking around the rim, and I cant get an accurate reading on my tester. I was looking for something a bit softer that would form a better seal and eliminate any air leaks around the intake where I blocked it off, and around the exhaust where I am pulling vac/pressure from.

Have any of those rubber shields off of a old clutch cover?? New one would likely work best but I bet they would do the job. Loosen the carb/muffler bolts, slide it in and tighten the bolts back down.

Talking about these

100_3420b.jpg

the gasket material that you can get in local hardware shop ussualy down the plumbing comes in 4" x 4" pieces or so that works well to nice and stiff but easly cut to fit

Good to hear the P51 rips. Somebody here was using some sort of duct tape from the local hardware store for pressure/vac tests, I've got the name here somewhere if your interested. I've got some spare 3700 parts lying around here if you end up needing some. Is the duckbill valve in the gas tank in good shape?

I've used a linoleum sample with good results. Just make sure the top surface is the sealing surface and not the foam backing.

trogan makes a good one,,,sorry i couldn't resist:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The P51 is done and a monster. I fitted it with a 28" NOS bar and 3/8 skip. I got it in some 22" red oak the other day and it rips. :rock: Video soon.

In answer to the second part of your question, I am having fuel issues with a poulan 3700 in craftsman colors that I have been tinkering with and I think it needs seals. I was using some hard(er) rubber I had on hand but it is leaking around the rim, and I cant get an accurate reading on my tester. I was looking for something a bit softer that would form a better seal and eliminate any air leaks around the intake where I blocked it off, and around the exhaust where I am pulling vac/pressure from.

Just a heads up, a 3700 really needs the impulse hole for the oiler plugged off it you really want a accurate vac test. I have a old pump cover I use for blocking them off.

I use a bike inner tube for my block offs.

Good to hear the P51 rips. Somebody here was using some sort of duct tape from the local hardware store for pressure/vac tests, I've got the name here somewhere if your interested. I've got some spare 3700 parts lying around here if you end up needing some. Is the duckbill valve in the gas tank in good shape?

Duck bill, fuel and vent lines, filter, plug, carb kit, etc are brand new. No problem on the parts, I have enough for this project, just probably have to order seals, once I determine that they are in fact no good. Thanks for the offer. I still owe you one from the Pioneer ;)

Have any of those rubber shields off of a old clutch cover?? New one would likely work best but I bet they would do the job. Loosen the carb/muffler bolts, slide it in and tighten the bolts back down.

Talking about these

100_3420b.jpg

.....so thats what they put that rubber on there for.......it allows us to pressure test our crankcase's!!:laugh:

you can also buy the stops from husky in there tool line a set is just a few bucks i have several sets that i trim and make fit diffrent saws and then lable them and keep them for that model or others that it will work in that to me seems to be the best and easiest way if you have some time to order them from your nearest dealer i would say go for it and try that out

you can also buy the stops from husky in there tool line a set is just a few bucks i have several sets that i trim and make fit diffrent saws and then lable them and keep them for that model or others that it will work in that to me seems to be the best and easiest way if you have some time to order them from your nearest dealer i would say go for it and try that out
I don't want to seem rude to you in any way 'taxi'...

But it's hard for us oldtimers to read with a combined mixture of bad spelling and no punctuation.
I simply request you post in sentences..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Latest posts

Back