vacuum/pressure testing a saw with no impulse line

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Care to share how you made the air connector from an old spark plug? Got pics?

I used to have a timing tool for motorcycles (before I had a dial indicator, when timing was spec'd in mm before top dead center) that I made from an old spark plug. Took the ceramic and the center electrode out of the plug, slathered a chunk of copper tube in JB Weld or epoxy and stuffed it in the spark plug body. Free hose fitting for the spark plug hole.

The timing trick involved getting the piston above the exhaust port, pouring in oil, and using the engine to pump oil up a long glass tube of known inside diameter. One mm of piston movement made hundreds of mm of movement in the oil column in the tube.

That would work too. I don't think you'd even have to remove the rings.

Simple thing to do would be to make a spark plug hose fitting like I described above, block off the intake and exhaust ports, and run the piston down below the transfer ports so the area below the piston is open to the area above the piston.

That's just crazy enough to work lol I like that idea, I was toying with the idea of taking the rings off the piston and going through the spark plug hole. Thank you gentlemen.

I go through the sparkplug hole after blocking off the intake and exhaust. As brad states no need to remove rings. Make sure the piston is at BDC if you go through the plug hole.

I used to have a timing tool for motorcycles (before I had a dial indicator, when timing was spec'd in mm before top dead center) that I made from an old spark plug. Took the ceramic and the center electrode out of the plug, slathered a chunk of copper tube in JB Weld or epoxy and stuffed it in the spark plug body. Free hose fitting for the spark plug hole.

Thanks

Kevin

I used the hose from my compression tester. Took out the schrader valve, put a quick coupler on a t with a pressure gauge.

Care to share how you made the air connector from an old spark plug? Got pics?

Kevin

Here is some of the blockers that I use and the fitting I made from an old sparkplug. There is a post after your question as to how one is made that explains the steps in detail but I break out the porcelain and insert a brass fitting to connect a vacuum line from the vacuum source. I soldered mine in but JB Weld would work as well. Pioneerguy600
IMG_3638.JPG

IMG_3639.JPG

IMG_3633.JPG

Thanks Jerry! I can usually understand descriptions...but I like pictures better. :)

Kevin

There is an easier way....

It is much easier and quicker to seal off both ends with Gorilla® duct tape. Just clean the surfaces prior to innstallation. I suppose you could poke a fitting through from the inside to connect the vacuum pump.

That black gorilla tape is super strong and super sticky.

It is much easier and quicker to seal off both ends with Gorilla® duct tape. Just clean the surfaces prior to innstallation. I suppose you could poke a fitting through from the inside to connect the vacuum pump.

That black gorilla tape is super strong and super sticky.

I understand where you are coming from but I use mine over and over according to the saws that I am working on at the time. If you only have use intermittently they may not be worth the time to make them but I have no problem taking 15 mins. to make one for each application that presents itself. For some I just use a piece of rubber behind a muffler or carb and that works if the muffler or carb is more exposed and I can check if a leak is found by applying low air pressure and then spraying with soapy water.
Pioneerguy600

I understand where you are coming from but I use mine over and over according to the saws that I am working on at the time. If you only have use intermittently they may not be worth the time to make them but I have no problem taking 15 mins. to make one for each application that presents itself. For some I just use a piece of rubber behind a muffler or carb and that works if the muffler or carb is more exposed and I can check if a leak is found by applying low air pressure and then spraying with soapy water.
Pioneerguy600

Yer a real saw mechanic, that is different. I am a poser who does what it takes to keep saws running. I also like coming up with a quick easy alternative, and I am paid by the mfr. of Gorilla® brand duct tape to promote alternative uses for their products......never mind waht we did with the glue, it was not nice......:greenchainsaw:

I bet yer shop and saw collection are pretty cool!:clap:

Latest posts

Back