valuation of ca 1978 Partner P70 chainsaw - one owner, non commercial use

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just wondering what it was worth in the eyes of the pros.
(for insurance purposes - naturally :msp_rolleyes: )

no surprise - the saw will not turn up in the FS section anytime soon.

and no the saw never had a chainbrake and was never modified, like i said.

Unless you are buying, selling or valuing your estate, the value of a saw is relatively meaningless. Don't know why people get so tied up with what they are worth, they are simply a tool (unless dealing with collector items).

To answer the seller's question, it is worth $125.00 to me. If he is in agreement he can PM me for the shipping address.

I bought my PP455 with a brake and bow for 175. I got great deal! It still runs strong and has cut at least 70 cords of firewood. It was a low hour home owner saw that was used for maybe 12 cords of wood. They are good runners with a wide TQ band. It pulls the 16x24 with ease. Some day I will mod it. The saw is bone stock and has pulled a 24 with full comp round chisel.

this is NOT a FS thread - i am not the "seller" or a "seller" or whatever.
This is NOT an auction.
that the resident chainsaw hustlers will low ball me and are giving me a trade in price
on a saw where i ask the members of this forum on their opinion is in my honest opinion just plain rude
and shows the character of the person stating such numbers in public.

After others help me valueing my estate and give their honest and realistic opinions in the ballpark of $300
to come in and say i will give you $125 for it speaks volumes about your persona.
I do not know if you intended to come across like this, but you can rest assured that this will prevent me from ever doing any dealings with you.
Maybe you just do not like me personally or intended to insult me - but last time i checked many people will be able to read this.
Probably not helping out your credibility but whatever motivated you to such a statement is none of my business.
Since i am not selling the saw it is a mute point, but sure as heck let me know who to trust here and who i should not....

so thank you for that and thanks to all the others for their opinion and replies.

Contrary to others i am not here to make a living flipping chainsaws but

To build a better community through intelligent conversation,
fellowship and enthusiasm from all individuals who wish to learn
and share the knowledge they have gathered in their experiences and education.

Last edited:
this is NOT a FS thread - i am not the "seller" or a "seller" or whatever.
This is NOT an auction.
that the resident chainsaw hustlers will low ball me and are giving me a trade in price
on a saw where i ask the members of this forum on their opinion is in my honest opinion just plain rude
and shows the character of the person stating such numbers in public.

After others help me valueing my estate and give their honest and realistic opinions in the ballpark of $300
to come in and say i will give you $125 for it speaks volumes about your persona.
I do not know if you intended to come across like this, but you can rest assured that this will prevent me from ever doing any dealings with you.
Maybe you just do not like me personally or intended to insult me - but last time i checked many people will be able to read this.
Probably not helping out your credibility but whatever motivated you to such a statement is none of my business.
Since i am not selling the saw it is a mute point, but sure as heck let me know who to trust here and who i should not....

so thank you for that and thanks to all the others for their opinion and replies.

Contrary to others i am not here to make a living flipping chainsaws but

To build a better community through intelligent conversation,
fellowship and enthusiasm from all individuals who wish to learn
and share the knowledge they have gathered in their experiences and education.

I suspect your response was directed at me...

Please note I indicated what the saw was worth TO ME, it may be worth more or less to other individuals based on their needs and desires. The only true way to determine what anything is worth at a given point in time is to sell it and see what the market will bear. Any other means is simply a guess.

Many of these "what is it worth" threads turn into an attempt to sell an item. For the record, I am not a chainsaw "hustler" or "flipper", in fact I have probably sold less than 10% of the saws I have ever owned. Once again, my value was based on its worth to me, fell free to ignore it, but please refrain from making any generalizations about my character and integrity.

Since you are not selling you should not be offended by my number. Of course you are always free to do your own research to obtain a valuation and bypass the Forum entirely.

Also, I suspect the 125 dollars "bid" was a rather innocent joke, not meant to be offencive? :confused2:

if that is the case so be it - but that was, you must admit, hard to "read" out of the context....

He did - the value of an older saw depends on what someone is willing to pay for it - there are no "firm" answers. ;)

like i said, i am aware of this and would have also not been offended if 95% of everyone here said it is worth EXACTLY $18.

HOWEVER - there is a way to let a man down and a way to let a man down.

I see no reason to tell a man asking what it is worth "I will give you $9 PM me for the shipping address"
even though if that may be the case. I am a proponent of internet etiquette - but that being said i see
that Mr. Salvage has explained himself and will leave it at that.
I am old enough to not take anything really personal from a person that has never meet me or I have never met them.

And for the record the real reason for asking what it is worth was the thought of
spending big bucks to restore it to NEW condition, modding it to it's fullest potential and placing it on the mantle over the fireplace
as part of a "saw retirement package" where it will only be used for "recreational use" and get a new saw that does the "real" work.

I did not want to look like an idiot if I asked one of the Gurus like Mr. Mastermind or Mr. Snelling or anyone of that status to
work over a saw for me that in general consensus is worth $18. If you can relate to that.

And as an general statement if ANYONE should be able to relate about people being overly sensitive about freaking chainsaws -
i thought THIS would be the place :cool2:

Internet etiquette? Well these "how much is is worth" threads are frowned upon here. Tellya what. Let's ask Dr Evil what he thinks your saw is worth...

[video=youtube;l91ISfcuzDw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l91ISfcuzDw[/video]

Latest posts

Back