Value of timber in Greene County, Ms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Background -
I normally hangout on the milling forum - but -
We live in Alexandria, Virginia and are retiring to northeast Mississippi. We've got about 400 acres of forest near Fulton, Ms. We've also got a small lot (20 acre we inherited) of 30 yr old mixed hardwood/pine down in Greene County, Ms (Nw of mobile Al.), just west of the Magnolia Cemetery, in Leakesville. I've never set foot on it and only have seen it via Bing.

We recently had a logger call us up (out of the blue) and offer about $1K/ acre to clearcut the 20 acre plot.

I was surprised at that because I just bought 66 acres near Fulton (closing in a few days) and was told by the land bank and the county forester that trees were only going for about $300 to $500/ acre.

So - questions -
Anybody know the value of timber down there?
Any one logging in that area have advice?
Does this sound like a good deal or should we hold it for a while longer?

thanks in advance.

Welcome to Northeast MS

Don't know what to tell you other than to call Greene Co forester or make some connection down there to see if this is on the level. There may be more har dwood on the plot or some desirable species like walnut. Then again prices might just be better down there vs. Itawamba Co.

Don't know what to tell you other than to call Greene Co forester or make some connection down there to see if this is on the level. There may be more har dwood on the plot or some desirable species like walnut. Then again prices might just be better down there vs. Itawamba Co.

Yea, I did that, took a couple of days. He knew the land from 30 years ago (and remembered my wife's father whom we inherited it from) and said $1K was not much out of line for the area.

Now how do I move about 120 acres of 30yr old mixed hardwood from Itawamba County down to Greene County so the guy could clearcut that? :)

We recently had a logger call us up (out of the blue) and offer about $1K/ acre to clearcut the 20 acre plot.

Stay away from that kind of logger.

Hire a forester, state or private, and get an actual timber cruise done.

Back