Value of XL-12

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly I only have one 028 Super left, I once had 8 of them but they sold like hotcakes once I let one go word of mouth sold all the rest. The last one I let go sold for $400. , the buyer just would not leave until I sold him a saw. His brother came back the next day and wanted my last one but I told him straight up no dice, he said he won`t give up until he gets one now.

Pioneerguy600

What do you guys like so much about the 028 supers?

Built like tanks, but weigh slightly less. :D :D

No, honestly, I got my start in arborist work with a new from the dealer 028WB. Just like my first truck ever was a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton 2x4 with a straight six, wooden bed rails and three on the tree. Just like my first stereo was a Yamaha. Just like my first wife was a . . . #####!

Hah!

What I mean to say is, I have a fond place in my heart for all these except the ex, because they were my first.

The 028 series is so popular because it's built so strongly, and there are TONS of used 028 saws out there still going strong. And if you're gonna love the 028 series, the Super made the best power of the series. IMO, Stihl got pretty much everything right (in its day) with that one. :)

OK, repeat after me: Homelite, Homelite, Homelite!! :D :D

Last edited:

attachment.php

Poge

Nice, had a "red" one, one of the last made before Homelite [actually J.deere] ruined the company, sent it broke, and shut it down, deere on *sold* it to TTI, cost deere dear, mail is $200 million tear up, was costing a million dollars a week or some silly figure like that just to open the doors

The SXL was a honest c/saw, but no AV, heavy, and noise made it non friendly c/saw to use, well past its use by date, about the only chainsaw i sold, and for a crazy amount of coin.

Homelite 8800 was one of the best c/saws they ever built, a monster that outdone tuned/ported chainsaws in stock form, last of the American muscle c/saws, sadly missed.

Then we had great USA Homelite/Sabre sawchain, Oregon purchased and shut it, what a sad end, visited the plant in Greer SC., was run by a Russian of all people!.

Shame, USA pissed away all its chainsaw industry...

Just curious what OPEM stands for

Built like tanks, but weigh slightly less. :D :D

No, honestly, I got my start in arborist work with a new from the dealer 028WB. Just like my first truck ever was a 68 Chevy 1/2 ton 2x4 with a straight six, wooden bed rails and three on the tree. Just like my first stereo was a Yamaha. Just like my first wife was a . . . #####!

Hah!

What I mean to say is, I have a fond place in my heart for all these except the ex, because they were my first.

The 028 series is so popular because it's built so strongly, and there are TONS of used 028 saws out there still going strong. And if you're gonna love the 028 series, the Super made the best power of the series. IMO, Stihl got pretty much everything right (in its day) with that one. :)

OK, repeat after me: Homelite, Homelite, Homelite!! :D :D

Yep,..ok,..no more Stihl talk.

Pioneerguy600

Yep,..ok,..no more Stihl talk.

Pioneerguy600

Dang. I was just saying Homie for appearances. I honestly don't care if my own Homie thread turns into a Stihl thread.

On topic for too long = BORING! :D :D

And Poge, thanks for posting the pic of the 028 series. My two favorite saws are the 028S and the 038M. Not because they have the best power-to-weight ratios (they don't even come close), but because those round-butt Stihls are my all-time faves. Built like brick ####houses. :)

I think, if I can find the time in the next coupla weeks, it'll be time for a new Stihly total saw portrait. With a Tanaka and a Homie to add a few raisins in the rice. ;)

Latest posts

Back