Vermeer SC352 Trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeLogic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I own a 2004 SC352 with a gas engine. Bought it new and it currently has approx 470 hrs on it. Engine coolant drained out on me the other day, and after adding more water to determine where the leak was, I noticed it was running out near the upper fins of the radiator. Took it to Vermeer...

*The upper tank is broken. Needs new radiator.
*Lower gearbox is done. Needs a new one.
*And the oil is a frothy mess so somehow water has gotten in it. Probably either blown head gasket, or cracked block (which means new engine). I checked the oil prior to doing the job and it wasn't frothy. But the machine had been sitting for awhile.

I called Vermeer and asked them to put the machine back together so I could come pick it up. This was after the $2600 (not including freight) quote they gave me for the radiator and gearbox replacement, which included nothing for the engine but an oil change. Still had to pay $186 for the labor on the radiator when I picked it up. I have another mechanic working on it now.

So, I'm looking for any knowledge on warranties/recalls, and any help I can get on finding parts (radiator & gearbox).

I dont think i ever seen a radiator that cant be re soldered or re cored. I would take it to a shop and see what they say.

this is an aluminum radiator with plastic reservoirs. there aint no fixin it.

crazy thing is, Vermeer took the radiator out, sent it to a local radiator shop, and he said the same thing...couldn't be fixed. then i end up with a $186 bill for them taking the radiator out and reinstalling it! shouldn't they have known this from the start?!? now you know why they're not getting my business anymore.

Last edited:
Someone built it, so someone can fix it!

makes sense to me. i guess the question is, is it worth it? i'm trying to find anybody out there that has taken one apart and seen it in person. if all else fails, it's a Briggs motor, i can get the radiator through them cheaper. radiator's the least of my worries with it right now but I do want to learn about it.

quick derail...how do u like the wraptor? would u buy again?

makes sense to me. i guess the question is, is it worth it? i'm trying to find anybody out there that has taken one apart and seen it in person. if all else fails, it's a Briggs motor, i can get the radiator through them cheaper. radiator's the least of my worries with it right now but I do want to learn about it.

quick derail...how do u like the wraptor? would u buy again?

Well worth the money. I looked at it as. $2500 is cheap when you keep it for 20 years. I don't use it everyday but when I have multiple trees to do, it saves tons of time and energy.

Last edited:
Any radiator shop worth its salt can put together a all Brass Radiator to replace the plastic and aluminum one Vermeer uses. Take your radiator in and have them duplicate it.

If a radiator shop can't fix it try a company called Modine radiator company they more than likely have a radiator that will fit your machine and they are very reasonable on their prices. They may ask for dims on your radiator.

Thanks everyone for the help. Bulldozer770, the second I can get my head above water, that's exactly what I'll do. Thanks again, Will

Back