vermont castings resolute

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the difference between the the more efficient new ones and the less efficient old ones ? Is it just the amount of wood that you burn or are there other factors to consider ?

The new stoves burn cleaner, thus the EPA approval.I have read that they use 30% less wood, but that has not been my experience.I would rather use a 1980 VC than many of the modern stoves I see.I am all for clean-burning appliances, but I also believe in using stuff that still works.You will happy with that stove until you choose to get something else and the VC will still be worth what you paid.

Keep in mind the Resolute was the larger of the 2 small VC stoves of that era. The Intrepid was the little one - both took a 6" stove pipe. You may have trouble getting an overnight burn due to the firebox size. But they were real good stoves. The seams needed to be re-caulked occassionally, so you may need to do that.

I almost think that small of a stove may not generate enough heat to keep an 8" chimney warm enough to stay clean. Guess if you crank it all the time it would be OK.

The Vigilant and the Defiant were the 2 "big" VC stoves from that time that used 8" pipe and chimney. I agree with one of the earlier posters - $800 seems high for that old of a stove, but then again it comes with chimney pipe that is very expensive new.

I worked for a VC dealer in the mid 80's - we sold a ton of Resolutes and Vigilants. Seems everyone pretty much was pleased. The exception was the very first catalytics they put out - add-on boxes for the back of the Vigilant. I remember selling one - and that guy definitely was not happy!

Tim

Yes :agree2:, the post-1989 EPA stoves are more efficient, do burn cleaner, and have longer burn cycles, burn safer. It's your call....but, if like many of us it is your main source of 24/7 heating the place, think about the payback.
$1000. in 10 years is____ :confused: ? No one would consider going cheap on a whole house oil or gas furnace, so why a much less expensive wood stove ?

The VC Resolute is an older model. Some of the later ones ( check hearthnet for serial numbers and users' experience ) made by the 'new' VC were defective. Hundreds were sent to dealers in warmer regions such as the Carolinas where the heating load was not as serious as more northern areas.
It was the beginning of the end for the formerly high quality VC brand.

( Full metal disclosure :monkey:: our 2001 VC cat Encore has run full bore for 100% heat. Plenty of yearly maintenance (gaskets), some repairs, some part replacement, and a usual 2-3 year cat replacement. The other house 'wing'--about the same size-- is heated with a non-cat Jotul Oslo. Fewer maintenance problems, but much less efficient than the Encore cat. Both are run 24/7, with no backup in downeast Maine. )

Recommendation: don't get the Resolute....at any price. $800. is high for an older stove anyhow. There are many high quality, reliable stoves out there at various costs. Cat or non-cat, cast or steel, big or small, US or Scandinavian.

Do the research first, ask dealers, ask owners, look online for comments.

It was said here: the installation cost will easily match the stove cost. Don't go cheap on the flue system----match the stove specs with the flue.

JMNSHO

Keep in mind the Resolute was the larger of the 2 small VC stoves of that era. The Intrepid was the little one - both took a 6" stove pipe. You may have trouble getting an overnight burn due to the firebox size. But they were real good stoves. The seams needed to be re-caulked occassionally, so you may need to do that.

I almost think that small of a stove may not generate enough heat to keep an 8" chimney warm enough to stay clean. Guess if you crank it all the time it would be OK.

The Vigilant and the Defiant were the 2 "big" VC stoves from that time that used 8" pipe and chimney. I agree with one of the earlier posters - $800 seems high for that old of a stove, but then again it comes with chimney pipe that is very expensive new.

I worked for a VC dealer in the mid 80's - we sold a ton of Resolutes and Vigilants. Seems everyone pretty much was pleased. The exception was the very first catalytics they put out - add-on boxes for the back of the Vigilant. I remember selling one - and that guy definitely was not happy!

Tim

I just offered the guy $400. for the stove without the old pipe.He said that he'll let me know after he thinks about it.

I would rather buy new double wall 6" and have the best set up so I don't have any problems.

Thanks for the heads up on the first cat models.I'll stay away from those.

Thanks for the reply Logbutcher. Can you recommend any newer stoves that are good quality and can be found at a decent price.

I need to heat about 1,600 sq.ft.

Take your wife/partner/whatever to local dealers....look around, ask, poke, play around with the openings and control(s). Get customer references. Diddle on hearthnet for stove reviews and user experiences.

Woodstock in VT has cat stoves that owners love with exceptional customer service. Pacific Energy (US) has a good line. Jotul (Norway) and Hearthstone (VT) are high quality brands. Remember that the stove is an appliance you'll be spending quality time in front of---don't get an ugly. :)

And look for sales, returns, ding sales---best usually in the Spring when dealers want to change inventory.

Last edited:
Take your wife/partner/whatever to local dealers....look around, ask, poke, play around with the openings

What kind of wierdo are you, anyway?

Wood stove openings :monkey:.....what kind of wierdo thinks wierd...or worse.:confused:
You smoking something funny ?:cry:

Only smoke here is what you're blowing up the OP's a$$.Sure, the new stoves are sexy;he told us his budget won't allow it right now.That stove is a 1980 vintage, well before VC's problems.I hope he gets it for $400.We all seem to want the newest, the best.That stove has kept thousands of homes warm for years.

Take your wife/partner/whatever to local dealers....look around, ask, poke, play around with the openings and control(s). Get customer references. Diddle on hearthnet for stove reviews and user experiences.

Woodstock in VT has cat stoves that owners love with exceptional customer service. Pacific Energy (US) has a good line. Jotul (Norway) and Hearthstone (VT) are high quality brands. Remember that the stove is an appliance you'll be spending quality time in front of---don't get an ugly. :)

And look for sales, returns, ding sales---best usually in the Spring when dealers want to change inventory.

Woodstock is a town in Vermont, but the Woodstock soapstone stove company is actually in West Lebanon, NH. Go figure.:cheers:

Woodstock is a town in Vermont, but the Woodstock soapstone stove company is actually in West Lebanon, NH. Go figure.:cheers:

:agree2: Right Steve...thanks.

Woodstock Soapstone is one fine company according to customers on hearthnet. You never read bad reviews.

W. Lebanon, NH is on the state line ( Connecticut River ) near the center of the universe @ Dartmouth College :confused:. Besides, Vermont has that bucolic cache, while New Hampshire has only low taxes and the famous "Live Free of Die" state motto. Ask Woodbooga. :clap:

Just thought that I would give you guys an update on my wood stove project.

I couldn't get the Resolute for $400. so I took the advice of some of you and checked out new stoves.After a lot of consideration,I bought a new Regency F2400 for $1,700.It comes with a blower and some other options such as legs instead of the ugly pedestal base and the brushed nickel accent on the door.

I would have gone with the older stove,but the deal just wasn't going to happen.

Thanks for all the help.I'll take some pictures of the whole install.:camera:

I forgot to mention that I was also getting a 30% rebate on the stove and the chimney pipe.That's what sealed the deal.:clap:

I also have an opportunity to buy a VC resolute. Used for $500.00 obo. She says it needs some parts replaced (back wall or something like that). I've read the preceding threads and understand that gaskets are usually needing replacement. I plan to go look at the stove this weekend and wondering if y'all have any advice on where and what to really look for : warping? cracks? etc.? I read in the VC manual online that cracks can be filled w/ furnace cement. This seems like an odd think for them to put in there manual unless it is a common occurrence (for a $2,500 stove???). Is that an easy fix? Also - I haven't found a picture yet, but there is supposedly an outside air kit. Any one use one? does it attach to the bottom of the stove? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I also have an opportunity to buy a VC resolute. Used for $500.00 obo. She says it needs some parts replaced (back wall or something like that). I've read the preceding threads and understand that gaskets are usually needing replacement. I plan to go look at the stove this weekend and wondering if y'all have any advice on where and what to really look for : warping? cracks? etc.? I read in the VC manual online that cracks can be filled w/ furnace cement. This seems like an odd think for them to put in there manual unless it is a common occurrence (for a $2,500 stove???). Is that an easy fix? Also - I haven't found a picture yet, but there is supposedly an outside air kit. Any one use one? does it attach to the bottom of the stove? Any advice greatly appreciated.

I inherited an Acclaim with the house we live in now.

The fire bricks and the upper fire back seem to be the most neglected. I ended up replacing the rear arch bricks with OE parts from Vermont Castings. The side bricks I used fire brick from menards and cut the bottom brick to fit the angle of the bottom of the stove. Works fine.

The upper fire back can distort and crack if you over fire the stove with the damper open.

The main, and most expensive "maintenance" item is the refractory or combustor. It will run you about $250 and more than likely needs to be replaced. The one in my stove was almost completely gone and is often overlooked by casual users. In fact, since I replaced it I can already see a decline in its appearance and its been less than 1 year. It still works fine but the material appears to be somewhat consumable.

I did end up putting a fair chunk of money into the stove, but if had been severely neglected by the previous owner. He had replaced all the fire bricks with 1" plate steel. Run the stove hot enough to warp the griddle and one of the grates as well as deform the upper fireback to an alarming degree.

All that being said.... Its a runner. Id like to get a longer burn time out of it, but it is what it is.

Just about all the parts are available from Woodland Direct.

AKwoody: The outside air kit is fairly inexpensive, and for the Defiant model mounts on the back of the stove near the botton. Then you run small diameter ductwork from outside to it. It is especially needed in very well sealed homes so the chimney draws properly. Before buying, price the needed parts, as back wall parts are expensive. Over firing damages this area. This happens when starting the stove. Air control is fully open. Cat bypass is open until stove reaches operating temperature. Cat bypass is then closed, and air control adjusted. If the cat bypass is left open, as in off in another room starting diner, the stove can quickly go from 500 degrees to plus 700 degrees. Then you can smell it. If you close the bypass and shut down the air, the temp again changes quickly. I'm guessing, from experience, that this 'quick change of temperature' is what causes the cast to warp/fatigue. Operator error on these cat stoves, not poor quality.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check it out this weekend and let y'all know what I come up with.

Back