Vertical Mulching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used just straight peat moss when I used to do this. I think peat and sand would probably be just as fine. The peat was just convenient. Acidifies the soil too. Don't know if that is a concern in your area though. I think the main benefit is from the aeration.

I use peat moss (or compost) and vermiculite (could also use diatomaceous earth) to really help keep the open pour space. I have also been putting in just a small amount of 12-12-12 fertilizer (probably not even enough to change a soil analysis on its own...).

I don't use sand because when you mix sand with soil that has this much clay, you are likely to end up with cement.

Be careful with 'fresher' mulch (anything you would consider good enough to put on a flower bed) as this will rob the tree of nitorgen. You want the stuff that has sat around for 2-3 years (or more) too long, but has still been stirred up.

While on the topic of VM...

What diameter holes are you generally shooting when doing this? I'm thinking that my 2.75" diameter bulb auger would be good enough, or should I get something larger?

How dry would I want the soil to be for optimum results? I'm planning on core aerating the whole lawn again this year, and usually get around to that about the time the tulips are on the downward side of their peak (early- or mid-May).

Depends on the tree... We do some that just require additional pore space in heavily compacted soil, we may just use pea gravel and wood chips. Some of the others we are trying to correct micro-nutrient defficiency, so we would use greenleaf compound (for acid loving plants) organic fertilizer w/Chelated Iron or manganese.

Sounds like a good size auger, we go about 18" down, on average.

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend putting fertilizer in there. One time I saw where someone had added fertilizer and you could tell where all the holes were made. The grass A LOT greener and twice as tall as the rest. I'll try to find a pic.

I'm pretty sure that's vertical mulching, but I could be wrong. Are you thinking of radial trenching??

Thanks for the input, just trying to make sure I've got my stuff straight.

If it is vertical mulching, I would say it is a very incomplete job. Not trying to rip on anybody's work, but one circle isn't going to do much. (then again, it is probably not going to be too benefical for fertilization either...)

I wouldn't recommend putting fertilizer in there. One time I saw where someone had added fertilizer and you could tell where all the holes were made. The grass A LOT greener and twice as tall as the rest. I'll try to find a pic.

Great picture!

Vertical mulching? Naw, I don't think those folks were that advanced in their thought process. I bet someone went out and bought some fertilizer spikes at Home Depot...

That's not vert. mulch. That is one TOTAL crappy job of deep root feeding. Total ripoff. From the amount of surge growth present they probably used 46-0-0 Urea. All fast release. No grid pattern and most likely not more than an inch or 2 in the ground. One of the hack outfits that are in the "Tree + Shrub" business.

Latest posts

Back