Vertical or Horizontal Splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
What's your preference? Most users put their splitter in the vertical position for heavy rounds. What % of the time do you use the vertical mode(if your splitter has that capability)?

I'm opposite to the Plumber..

I split horizontal all the time and also split by myself.

My splitter is a 3 point hitch set up on the Kubota. I keep it set at waist level and find it very efficient.

Until the rounds get too big to lift, I do horizontal. It doesn't matter if it is just me or with help.

Horizontal - my splitter has never been vertical. I get enough back ache without crawlign around on my knees trying to manaeuver heavy rounds. Any round to big to lift gets split with wedge/sledge or saw first. Already done anyhow as they have to be small enough to load in the truck out in the boonies.

Much better position to apply leverage when adjusting chunks for splitting.

I can keep the splits cleared away from the area better - toss and gone, much easier than from my knees.

No gettin up/down to get more rounds over to the machine

Harry K

i would rather be laying down on lawn chair while watching the wife split the wood..
but cant convince her of it yet...:hmm3grin2orange:
vertical....

I'm opposite to the Plumber..

I split horizontal all the time and also split by myself.

My splitter is a 3 point hitch set up on the Kubota. I keep it set at waist level and find it very efficient.

+1 here... My splitter has never been set to vertical. I enjoy plugging up the 372 with noodles... :msp_blink:

Almost always horizontal for me. I save my back by loading the beam from the tractor's FEL or the back of a pickup truck.

A few times I've had it horizontal to split some large rounds I didn't want to noodle.

Almost always horizontal for me. I save my back by loading the beam from the tractor's FEL or the back of a pickup truck.

A few times I've had it horizontal to split some large rounds I didn't want to noodle.

Tell me you don't like to tear into a big round with that 6401 every once in a while...:chainsaw:

I am new to splitters , I leave the splitter at he wood room in the horizontal position. If I can get the wood on the truck I can lift on the splitter. I use a big saw for big wood, (394 xp ), so i can noodle it down. I like to get big wood, but if I am in a hurry I will cut wood that I can lift without noodling first.

Borrowed a family members splitter, used it in Vertical and the damn things was jumping all over the place. Not enough weight on the tongue.

Borrow my parents HD horizontal and and it is so much easier to use. Not to mention 3 times the weight.

I have both a vertical and a horizontal, the horizontal isn't finished yet but its darn close. I am always swearing at the vertical one, thats why I opted to build the horizontal one. BTW, both of mine are homebuilt.

Horizontal guy here too. My splitter is waist high with a table and log lift, pick the splits off the table and into the truck. The less bendin over and kneelin the better! :cheers:

Horizontal all the way. Tried vertical way back when, too much BS trying to get a huge flat round into postion. then of course the wedge is on the ram not on the beam. If I can't roll em up they get quartered with a sledge and wedge or noodled.:msp_thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back