Vertical or Horizontal Splitting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seldom kneel. Just get a 16" to 18" long round that's 14" or more dia. and sit on it. Even better, find an old steel folding card table chair and sit on that. The only time I kneel is when I split a monster that I can't spin while sitting down. I can split monsters in vertical, but forget it in horizontal.

BTW, Brave makes a good splitter. :popcorn:

:msp_thumbsup: What he said.
I've never split horizontal because all my rounds are hugo and already on the ground. All I do is roll them into my base and go to splitting. I may try horizontal with some smaller rounds some time to see how it is.

Verticle most of the time for me but I usually only split rounds that are over 20" or just really heavy. Under that and they just go on the stack. I'd rather roll the piece around than try to lift it.

If you've never tried the 3 person method you should. My wife, daughter and myself could split up a truckload in no time.
I'd be rolling the big stuff to the splitter. Daughter would just run the lever. Wife would be tossing them in the truck. If you hustle, the ram never needs to stop moving.

The thee or two person method works in either position with equal benefit.

Harry K

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back