Very aggravated With Spee Co

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thejdman04

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have nothing but bad to say about spee co unfortunately. I have the 25 ton model. I bought my splitter 4-18-08. The unit has probably been in the shop for over 4 months out of the year I have owned it. Who knows when I will get it back. First the cylinder was leaking, after a few weeks I owned it. Took it back, they had to order a cylinder, by the time they got the cylinder, put the cylinder on that was close to a month. As I understand MANY cylinders of that time had a problem leaking because spee co had a problem with their supplier. I was told that by the technician who was repairing the splitter under warranty. Next the coil went out on the motor. A few weeks later. I called up pretty aggravated at this point they gave me the song and dance that the motor is a briggs and they have no control over it breaking, and how quickly they get parts out, since the coil didn't actually go through them for the engine. I agree, I understand, but at the same token if I go buy a brand new chainsaw and the carburetor goes out it would be like the saw company to tell me hey not our fault we didn't actually build the carb. I realize it is out of their control, but it is on their machine and therefore, it should be a concern of theirs. Next the footplate on the splitting beam bent, so back to the shop it goes for a new splitting rail. Apparently from what I read on here, that's not that all uncommon either. Next, the splitter sits at the shop because where the splitting beam (ram etc) attaches to the tank, there are 2 welds and both welds are cracked. I noticed it when I was changing the hydraulic filter. It is a very poor design. There is a pin that the splitter pivots on (horizontal and vertical) and where that pin attaches to the tank (frame), there are just 2 welds and both welds are cracked. The service shop tells me it is because I have been "roading it too much", ie moving it around, but the most it gets roaded is to and from the shop and 50 ft in and out of the shed about 3 times a week. So now they are going to send a new tank and oil fill cap and put my motor, wheels pump etc on the new tank. I got the splitter back and it is leaking oil around the threads where the cap threads into the tank. I call spee co and they tell me that maybe its over full, nope, maybe the vent is plugged nope. So they try sending me a new cap. The new cap that is obviously the right cap for that splitter and tank is a completely different size and thread pitch then the cap that was on the tank that came from the factory that they just installed. They sent the new tank out with the wrong cap installed in the tank so the cap leaked. They send me a new cap but the threads in the tank are soo messed up that the new cap wont seal either. So out they send me a complete new tank and cap again. When I get there with the splitter the technician at the shop says that he will give me the tank for me to install. I say whoa wait a minute its under warranty. He said your machine has been warranty locked, Spee co company has spent more in parts and labor repairing your splitter then the splitter is worth so they are no longer going to warranty the splitter at all. So I have a new tank now, because the threads were messed up at the factory on the tank they just installed but they wont pay to have the tank installed, nor will they warranty the splitter from this point out. I have paperwork stating the warranty and it says nothing about there being a cap in a dollar amount of money they will spend fixing the splitter. I know someone who owns a spee co splitter as well, he has had the ram replaced and the foot plate bent. The welds cracking where the splitting beam attaches to the tank is just a poor design. The fact they had to send me another new tank because they cross threaded the wrong cap into the tank at the factory shouldn't count against me either. I am strongly thinking of looking at a new timberwolf this weekend. Meanwhile I don't know what I am going to do with my spee co.

:(Sorry to hear that, is there a 'lemon law' option in a situation like this?
With all that trouble, they should just take yours and give you a new one or your money back.

There's a used TW-5 in the trading post on AS.

maybe speeco will respond.. they are a sponsor on this site....

While I was reading the OP's post, I was thinking to myself,"Well, things do go wrong.But at least they are taking care of you."
Then I got to the part of the warranty cap.What kind of nonsense is that?A warranty cap?
Well, if they had spent more on fixing the thing than what it was worth, they really should hand you a new one!If nothing else, for your aggravation alone!
I am hoping that there is some mixup with your local shop.I dont own a speeco, but have heard nothing but good things from those who have one about the customer service.

There is a post right here on the firewood section about the great customer service from speeco, I see you posted there.Give speeco a call direct, give em a chance to make things right.
Sometimes its just best to go right to the company.If you missed their number, here it is 1-800-525-8322 x146

i'm sorry to hear about that, hopefully someone will see this post and make it right. if its warrantied, it shouldn't matter how many times it breaks - it still broke.

personally, i would have dropped it 4 months ago and just went out and bought something else. i hope it works out for you though.

as said before call them direct. If you're not getting any where with them tell them that your lawyer will be contacting them. The should have just traded you a new splitter

Spee-co = Spo-cee

Well I asked one of their reps that was on this site a few questions,

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=91461

and he didn't even bother to answer me...his name is

Chad Franke
Design Engineer
303-279-5544 (Main)
303-278-3432 (Fax)
[email protected]
www.speeco.com

at AS aka

chadincolo

So much problems just here on AS, 20% of owners??, they must have thousands of customers swearing just now, and hundreds of returned splitters in their backyard....and probobly using hundreds of UPS trucks just for them selves, shipping parts.....
Are these splitters really manufactured in Co, USA...??? don't make sense....

Re-Very Aggravated

There is a alot of information and opinions to weed through here. We are looking into this matter and do take your concerns seriously.

Some of the comments posted reflect a mixture of what our SpeeCo rep said,what the service representative said and interpretations of both. I will try and contact you directly to attempt to sort through a mutually acceptable resolution. Not to minimize the problems you have experienced, but the selling dealer /service center has indicated this splitter has seen a considerable amount of use as compared to the in-service date. The residential or commercial usage issue I will review with our staff here as it can be muddy water where the warranty is concerned.

Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to respond & I do look forward to assisting in untangling this situation. Carolyn aka "nice lady"

Not to minimize the problems you have experienced, but the selling dealer /service center has indicated this splitter has seen a considerable amount of use as compared to the in-service date.
Unless the unit in question has an hour meter or cycle meter that is a very subjective statement "looks like it had alot of use". Its very possible and I even know of a situation where a private individual uses his splitter probably more than most commercial ventures do. And that individual has been using the Speeco 22 ton for 7yrs now without a single problem other than he flat wore out the first engine.
I really like the 28/35 ton designs but in my opinion Speeco needs to go just a tweak further with it and it could really be a nice splitter. Get off the China stuff. Go back to all quality USA made parts and quit trying to save a nickel here and there. Clean up a few of the weak areas and they will be far better off even if it costs a buck two fifty more. They have to be selling enough of these units in these times to justify a little more quality and all this stuff like is in this thread will go away.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:
Hey JDman we need pics

Let us all see how wore out this unit is., Seems like 4 out of 12 months it can not have all that much wear. Heck, half of the unit is new parts. LOL

:(Sorry to hear that, is there a 'lemon law' option in a situation like this?
With all that trouble, they should just take yours and give you a new one or your money back.

There's a used TW-5 in the trading post on AS.
I dont know of any lemon laws that apply to splitters. I dont want a new one, I would be happy to have my money back out of thisone.

While I was reading the OP's post, I was thinking to myself,"Well, things do go wrong.But at least they are taking care of you."
Then I got to the part of the warranty cap.What kind of nonsense is that?A warranty cap?
Well, if they had spent more on fixing the thing than what it was worth, they really should hand you a new one!If nothing else, for your aggravation alone!
I am hoping that there is some mixup with your local shop.I dont own a speeco, but have heard nothing but good things from those who have one about the customer service.

There is a post right here on the firewood section about the great customer service from speeco, I see you posted there.Give speeco a call direct, give em a chance to make things right.
Sometimes its just best to go right to the company.If you missed their number, here it is 1-800-525-8322 x146
H]I have been in contact with spee co directly many times. The "agent" if you will that I have been talking to is kevin greer. The servicing dealer has been Farm and Fleet of Belvidere, IL. I am not afraid to post how unhappy I am with their service as well. Before they would order parts they would have to see the splitter first. There were times I went up to drop the splitter off and the small gas engine tech and he said whats broke on the "f******* thing now". He used the f bombs many times even infront of my nephew. I went in and complained to the store manager who told me"if you arent happy then there is another farm in fleet in lovespark IL, which is quite a ways away from me. When I went back to pick the splitter up Jason, who is the small gas engine tech, told me if I complained about him anymore he would refuse to work on my items. Again, I told the manager that, to me that is refusing to do your job, your job is to fix things, if you like the person or not. I am a very laid back guy but when it comes to swearing thats fine, but not in front of kids, especially when they are not your own. I spend probably between 300-500 a month at farm and fleet, well I used to. I now shop at tsc, which is quite a ways away, and I dont really like tsc, but I wont give any more money to that corporation. I tried calling farm and fleet corporate. I was told that all they do is take the complaint down and forward it via email to the store manager, who clearly doesnt care.

i'm sorry to hear about that, hopefully someone will see this post and make it right. if its warrantied, it shouldn't matter how many times it breaks - it still broke.

personally, i would have dropped it 4 months ago and just went out and bought something else. i hope it works out for you though.
Its not my fault you make a faulty product, if it is breaking that many times make it right or give me my money back.

as said before call them direct. If you're not getting any where with them tell them that your lawyer will be contacting them. The should have just traded you a new splitter
My lawyer costs 300 dollars an hour, unfortunatly, it woudlnt take long to spend at the lawyer what the splitter is worth. I do know somone who owns property near the local farm and fleet. A sign and a few plastic lemons haning off of it has been my next thought.

There is a alot of information and opinions to weed through here. We are looking into this matter and do take your concerns seriously.

Some of the comments posted reflect a mixture of what our SpeeCo rep said,what the service representative said and interpretations of both. I will try and contact you directly to attempt to sort through a mutually acceptable resolution. Not to minimize the problems you have experienced, but the selling dealer /service center has indicated this splitter has seen a considerable amount of use as compared to the in-service date. The residential or commercial usage issue I will review with our staff here as it can be muddy water where the warranty is concerned.

Thanks for allowing us the opportunity to respond & I do look forward to assisting in untangling this situation. Carolyn aka "nice lady"
I will gladly post pictures of the unit. I will agree it has been used, but it has definitly not been used 8 hours a day 5 days a week or even close to that. I did not know that there was a limit on the warrenty based on use. I thought it was warrentied for 3 years on steel parts. I did not know there was a certain number of cords that could be split before the warrenty expired. If so you need to state this in your manual that came with the splitter. To me that would be false advertisement, it says 3 years, not so much use. I dont know if the servicing dealer noticed or not, but one time when it went in, it had a wix hydraulic filter on it, the next time it had a fram filter, and then the servicing dealer changed the hydraulic filter. The fuel filter has been changed, and the motor oil gets changed as well. All this has not been changed because it has SO man hours on it but because I am believe in maintenance. I would rather spend 7 dollars on a filter and a little bit of oil then have contaminates in the hydraulic oil and motor oil. I especially change the engine oil, more then I need to, because it takes less then 1 quart of oil to change, and there is no filter on the motor. The machine is shedded EVERY night. I dont know what more I can do to maintain it. I did buy it to use.

Unless the unit in question has an hour meter or cycle meter that is a very subjective statement "looks like it had alot of use". Its very possible and I even know of a situation where a private individual uses his splitter probably more than most commercial ventures do. And that individual has been using the Speeco 22 ton for 7yrs now without a single problem other than he flat wore out the first engine.
I really like the 28/35 ton designs but in my opinion Speeco needs to go just a tweak further with it and it could really be a nice splitter. Get off the China stuff. Go back to all quality USA made parts and quit trying to save a nickel here and there. Clean up a few of the weak areas and they will be far better off even if it costs a buck two fifty more. They have to be selling enough of these units in these times to justify a little more quality and all this stuff like is in this thread will go away.
Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree, I don't see anywhere in the manual or on their website that distinguishes the warrenty period based on your use. I also know 2 people with spee co splitters. One guy has a newer one and has had the same foot plate bending and cylinder problem. Another guy has an older one, who has an outdoor wood furnace and he has split 100 times more wood with his then I have and he hasnt had any problems.

Let us all see how wore out this unit is., Seems like 4 out of 12 months it can not have all that much wear. Heck, half of the unit is new parts. LOL
I will gladly take pictures of it tomorrow and post up when I have a chance tomorrow night.

Like the OP, I find this statement a little vague at best.Why make an effort to escape the obligations of a warranty with hidden clauses,exceptions, etc when it appears that the equipement mentioned appears to have failed repeatdly?When I looked up the warranty terms on the speeco website, this is all that is listed.

Special Products Co. warrants that the equipment manufactured by SpeeCo and delivered hereunder will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period as outlined below.

Three-point linkage: 1 year
Hand-held diggers: 1 year
Three-point diggers: 3 years
Quick Hitch: 3 years
Log Splitters
Hydraulics: 1 year
Engine: 2 year (warranted by engine manufacturer)
15-Ton Splitter Engine 1 year
Steel Components: 3 years

There are no exceptions noted between commercial and private use, and like was mentioned above, how can you determine usuage anyway?
I understand that maybe the full terms of the warranty issue are not described on your website, and probably a great deal more detail is given in the owners manual, but even under heavy commercial use a quality log splitter out to be able to withstand 4 months of use without breaking down.

To me, it appears that speeco is succumbing to industrial greed typical of corporate America with this one. I believe with all my heart that for a corporation to be succesfull, the customer has to come first within reason. A customer that plunked down $1200 should be entitled to a working splitter far longer than 4 months.

To give an example, I bought some years ago a Husqvarna tractor, warranty period of three years. The entire time that I had it, it blew head gaskets on the Kohler engine. Last year, 2 years after the warranty expired, I decided to give Kohler a call about the head gasket problem, I was tired of changing head gaskets every year.When asked about how many hours where on the engine, I sent an email with a picture of the hour meter, 200 hours on it.

Kohler came through,even though my warranty period was long gone.Kohler believed that a man should get more than 200 hours out of a pair of head gaskets.they sent me two new heads, gasket kits for both,and a new muffler.
I sent the old parts back to Kohler and a month later got a call from the tech guys.They had found the problem. A baffle had failed in the muffler, causing some restriction in the exhaust.

To me, this is corporate America at its finest.When a issue comes up concerning expensive equipement,sometimes a human needs to intervene the system of clauses and exceptions, and just take care of a customer.

Knowing Speeco's reputation, I hope that they will come through for the OP. He deserves a working log splitter.

I've never heard of a "warranty cap" or too much use. I hope this all works out in the end for you. I can understand why you are upset, I would be also.
Just for the heck of it, how many hours do you think you have put on it?
Wonder how many hours Speedco figures the warranty should be for?

Like the OP, I find this statement a little vague at best.Why make an effort to escape the obligations of a warranty with hidden clauses,exceptions, etc when it appears that the equipement mentioned appears to have failed repeatdly?When I looked up the warranty terms on the speeco website, this is all that is listed.

Special Products Co. warrants that the equipment manufactured by SpeeCo and delivered hereunder will be free of defects in material and workmanship for a period as outlined below.

Three-point linkage: 1 year
Hand-held diggers: 1 year
Three-point diggers: 3 years
Quick Hitch: 3 years
Log Splitters
Hydraulics: 1 year
Engine: 2 year (warranted by engine manufacturer)
15-Ton Splitter Engine 1 year
Steel Components: 3 years

There are no exceptions noted between commercial and private use, and like was mentioned above, how can you determine usuage anyway?
I understand that maybe the full terms of the warranty issue are not described on your website, and probably a great deal more detail is given in the owners manual, but even under heavy commercial use a quality log splitter out to be able to withstand 4 months of use without breaking down.

To me, it appears that speeco is succumbing to industrial greed typical of corporate America with this one. I believe with all my heart that for a corporation to be succesfull, the customer has to come first within reason. A customer that plunked down $1200 should be entitled to a working splitter far longer than 4 months.

To give an example, I bought some years ago a Husqvarna tractor, warranty period of three years. The entire time that I had it, it blew head gaskets on the Kohler engine. Last year, 2 years after the warranty expired, I decided to give Kohler a call about the head gasket problem, I was tired of changing head gaskets every year.When asked about how many hours where on the engine, I sent an email with a picture of the hour meter, 200 hours on it.

Kohler came through,even though my warranty period was long gone.Kohler believed that a man should get more than 200 hours out of a pair of head gaskets.they sent me two new heads, gasket kits for both,and a new muffler.
I sent the old parts back to Kohler and a month later got a call from the tech guys.They had found the problem. A baffle had failed in the muffler, causing some restriction in the exhaust.

To me, this is corporate America at its finest.When a issue comes up concerning expensive equipement,sometimes a human needs to intervene the system of clauses and exceptions, and just take care of a customer.

Knowing Speeco's reputation, I hope that they will come through for the OP. He deserves a working log splitter.
Even in owners manual doesnt have any more stipulations in it about warranty, residential vs homeowner use.

I've never heard of a "warranty cap" or too much use. I hope this all works out in the end for you. I can understand why you are upset, I would be also.
Just for the heck of it, how many hours do you think you have put on it?
Wonder how many hours Speedco figures the warranty should be for?

Honestly I know without a doubt there is not 200 hours on that machine. I really isnt run 8 hours a day 5 days a week. I not a tree service with a laborer running it full time. I used to use and still mostly use a JD 4840 160 horse tractor for most of my splitting. It is a homebuilt splitter. It is on the 3 point. The reason I dont like using that all the time is that its way overkill, but it is what I have for a tractor. Running a 160 horse diesel tractor to power the splitter isnt very economical. It is wickedly fast, even with 1 guy he can do real close to 1 full cord an hour vs with the spee co if you get 1 face cord per hour done you are lucky, it moves very very slow, even slower then when new or what I expected.

fortunately your experience is very different than all the other feedback on speeco that I've seen on AS.

from the mass number of complaints... you must of got a real lemon!
seems your splitter is not fixed... not from a lack of trying. wonder what the small engine mechanic that worked on this splitter has to say?

the bent foot issue has showed up a few times, which speeco was quick to fix.... otherwise from what I can tell the rest of your complaints are all firsts on AS for speeco.

yes please do post pic's ... a LOT of wood can be split in one year's time (not 4 months). it's common for mfg not to offer the same warranty for commercial use.

I have nothing but bad to say about spee co unfortunately. I have the 25 ton model. I bought my splitter 4-18-08. The unit has probably been in the shop for over 4 months out of the year I have owned it. Who knows when I will get it back. First the cylinder was leaking, after a few weeks I owned it. Took it back, they had to order a cylinder, by the time they got the cylinder, put the cylinder on that was close to a month. As I understand MANY cylinders of that time had a problem leaking because spee co had a problem with their supplier. I was told that by the technician who was repairing the splitter under warranty. Next the coil went out on the motor. A few weeks later. I called up pretty aggravated at this point they gave me the song and dance that the motor is a briggs and they have no control over it breaking, and how quickly they get parts out, since the coil didn't actually go through them for the engine. I agree, I understand, but at the same token if I go buy a brand new chainsaw and the carburetor goes out it would be like the saw company to tell me hey not our fault we didn't actually build the carb. I realize it is out of their control, but it is on their machine and therefore, it should be a concern of theirs. Next the footplate on the splitting beam bent, so back to the shop it goes for a new splitting rail. Apparently from what I read on here, that's not that all uncommon either. Next, the splitter sits at the shop because where the splitting beam (ram etc) attaches to the tank, there are 2 welds and both welds are cracked. I noticed it when I was changing the hydraulic filter. It is a very poor design. There is a pin that the splitter pivots on (horizontal and vertical) and where that pin attaches to the tank (frame), there are just 2 welds and both welds are cracked. The service shop tells me it is because I have been "roading it too much", ie moving it around, but the most it gets roaded is to and from the shop and 50 ft in and out of the shed about 3 times a week. So now they are going to send a new tank and oil fill cap and put my motor, wheels pump etc on the new tank. I got the splitter back and it is leaking oil around the threads where the cap threads into the tank. I call spee co and they tell me that maybe its over full, nope, maybe the vent is plugged nope. So they try sending me a new cap. The new cap that is obviously the right cap for that splitter and tank is a completely different size and thread pitch then the cap that was on the tank that came from the factory that they just installed. They sent the new tank out with the wrong cap installed in the tank so the cap leaked. They send me a new cap but the threads in the tank are soo messed up that the new cap wont seal either. So out they send me a complete new tank and cap again. When I get there with the splitter the technician at the shop says that he will give me the tank for me to install. I say whoa wait a minute its under warranty. He said your machine has been warranty locked, Spee co company has spent more in parts and labor repairing your splitter then the splitter is worth so they are no longer going to warranty the splitter at all. So I have a new tank now, because the threads were messed up at the factory on the tank they just installed but they wont pay to have the tank installed, nor will they warranty the splitter from this point out. I have paperwork stating the warranty and it says nothing about there being a cap in a dollar amount of money they will spend fixing the splitter. I know someone who owns a spee co splitter as well, he has had the ram replaced and the foot plate bent. The welds cracking where the splitting beam attaches to the tank is just a poor design. The fact they had to send me another new tank because they cross threaded the wrong cap into the tank at the factory shouldn't count against me either. I am strongly thinking of looking at a new timberwolf this weekend. Meanwhile I don't know what I am going to do with my spee co.

also sounds like your dealer and service tech is a real piece of work...

I agree with that. It sounds like your servicing dealer is the problem. Speeco has taken care of their customers very well and I think they'll come through on this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back