Very aggravated With Spee Co

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is exactly what small claims court is made for. You would be foolish not to take advantage of this outlet. You simply sue for what is called "rescission". Which simply takes you back to your prior situation BEFORE you bought the splitter. Factor in all of your time, gas, and other costs involved you have in the splitter, plus the price of the splitter, which you can state is of no use to you now since it doesnt work (you tell the judge). Every state has different small claims max limits to sue without going into district court. Here in Minnesota, its $7500, so I'd think most states would be in the same neighborhood. Also, businesses do not like being dragged to court over customer service issues. I wouldnt hesitate to take the merchant to court for a second over the matter. They hold more responsibility on the products they sell than you think they do. Especially warranties where they do service on the product

Before you start dragging the courts into the issue, give speeco a chance.It appears from other posts on the company that they do take care of their customers, although the comment about "excessive use"bothers me to no end.
OP, thanks for mentioning the fact that even in the manual it doesnt make any stipulations as to warranty applying only to non commercial use.
Even the biggest pieces of junk on the market have a better warranty than 4 months on a $1200 piece of equipement.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like maybe your local dealer is tired of dealing with the situation, and may be handing some real nonsense to speeco on the matter.I imagine a few,"well, this thing has really been abused" comments to speeco may have slowed their desires to help you out on the matter.Maybe you can send them some pics of your splitter?

I know my local dealer is tired of dealing with me on an issue,I bought a
Husky 137 for my wife last year, and it has spent most of its life in the shop.The last time it was in for an impulse pipe replacement, the dealer hinted that he would be glad to apply the price of the saw against something better.Gonna take him up on that one next time this thing falls apart.

He bought the splitter April of 2008

he said it probably has been "in the shop for months" so technically he has used it 8 months.. Even so 8 months is not a lot of time on a splitter,.. My dads old brave splitter has been on the farm for close to 30 years and still works fine. original engine and all. And he split a lot of wood with it before he retired it to me.

Wow, what a cluster :censored:! Sounds like something I always end up with:)

It just pisses ya that a guy buys a new piece of equipment and it is a POS off the start. And everyone has excuses but no solutions other than telling ya to get bent and your on your own. I hope that the warranty came with the unit and wasn't a purchased warranty.

It shouldn't matter how much you use the unit if they state that it has a 3 year warranty, than honor it. It sounds as though yours isn't the only POS they've made and they are probably taking a beating on warranty work. They should have engineered it to last rather than skimping materials/quality to add money to the bottom line. Doesn't sound like a company that I'd want to purchase from. Thanks for the heads up, and best of luck:cheers:

Last edited:
that's totally not true! this is the first instance of a speeco splitter giving this much trouble. No machine is warrantied against abuse! don't know that this is what happened, but it's totally possible to drop the beam and break the tank tabs.

if you read the OP... it's not for a lack of trying to make good on the splitter. anyone that's got a speeco splitter knows the tank mean 1/2 the machine. speeco has sent out a beam, Ram and two tanks trying to get issues resolved.

that will build up almost an entire splitter. Now I don't know the entire story, but if it was me sending out all those parts and it's still not resolved. I'd put a stop to this mess and find out all the details before proceeding.

again... we have not heard the the other side to story. but this runs so completely against the other great feedback for speeco splitters. that it sure would be good to hear the other side of the story. before assuming the worst. VS feedback say from Harbor Freight splitters.... it's so common to gets horror stories. one automatically assume they are correct.

whereas speeco based upon loads of positive feedback has earned a bit of consideration before passing judgment.

again... we have not even seen pictures yet....
I'd just get the tabs welded locally and be done.

It shouldn't matter how much you use the unit if they state that it has a 3 year warranty, than honor it. It sounds as though yours isn't the only POS they've made and they are probably taking a beating on warranty work.

Last edited:
I suspect they'll make it right. Even a BS lawsuit will cost them more than the cost of making it right, just to get the thing dismissed for failure to state a claim upon which relief may be granted.

Fear not, speeco is not the only one to drop the ball from time to time. Iron & Oak gave my saw dealer a runaround on parts/warranty service to such a degree that he no longer has them on the floor, though he remains a dealer. I've tried to entice him to the red and gray side of things, going so far as to bring mine down to the shop, but no luck so far...

that's totally not true! this is the first instance of a speeco splitter giving this much trouble. No machine is warrantied against abuse! don't know that this is what happened, but it's totally possible to drop the beam and break the tank tabs.

This is not the first instance of a failure, look at the bent plate issue. There has been many people here have that problem. I have seen one at the local TSC that had one of the beefy looking cast plates that popped off under load. How many times have you heard of other manfactures having this issue? It seems it's a SpeeCo issue in the design? Also the piviot point seems to be weak in design also with oblongating of holes at the pinned connection.

And I'll disagree with the dropping the beam and the tabs breaking off, the tabs should have bent before weld failure happened if such occured.

This is just a question, but how does one abuse a splitter, they are really supposed to be set-up for abuse. Other than maintanence.

if you read the OP... it's not for a lack of trying to make good on the splitter. anyone that's got a speeco splitter knows the tank mean 1/2 the machine. speeco has sent out a beam, Ram and two tanks trying to get issues resolved.

Yes they have made an effort but does he have a quality running machine that he satisfied with???
It seems they fell short of the total goal.... to give him a dependable running machine no matter the cost. He had confidence to invest with them and they are not making their problems right. That is a lack of customer commitment to me.

again... we have not heard the the other side to story. but this runs so completely against the other great feedback for speeco splitters. that it sure would be good to hear the other side of the story. before assuming the worst. VS feedback say from Harbor Freight splitters.... it's so common to gets horror stories. one automatically assume they are correct.

Your right we really don't know the whole story other than what the OP has provided us with. I think in order to restore confidence in the manufacturer, they'll have to makie it right. SpeeCo makes an affordable splitter for the common guy that is great, but if it fails and it looks like it is their fault than they should make good on it without any BS. In this event it looks like it is. Even if it includes having to spend more money in parts than the splitter is worth. And not tell the guy, here ya go it's your baby you fix it, we've washed our hands of it:mad:

please reread what I posted....

this is the first instance of a speeco causing this much trouble.
there's been a few instances of bent toe plate, couplings, etc. all taken care of by speeco promptly.

NO one else has had this many problems with a speeco. they have been a pretty solid splitter. the best of the low end splitters.

have you even operated a speeco splitter?

anyone that's changed beam positions knows... beam is extremely heavy and can be dropped.. possibly causing damage. this could be viewed as abuse. please note at no point is anyone accused of dropping their beam. just that it's possible to cause damage this way.

NO one else has reported a failure of beam mounting tabs.

we have not seen any pic's or heard from other side.
all I've been pointing out is based upon speeco's reputation of taking care of customers. I'm withholding judgment until all the details comes out.

This is not the first instance of a failure, look at the bent plate issue. There has been many people here have that problem. I have seen one at the local TSC that had one of the beefy looking cast plates that popped off under load. How many times have you heard of other manfactures having this issue? It seems it's a SpeeCo issue in the design? Also the piviot point seems to be weak in design also with oblongating of holes at the pinned connection.

And I'll disagree with the dropping the beam and the tabs breaking off, the tabs should have bent before weld failure happened if such occured.

This is just a question, but how does one abuse a splitter, they are really supposed to be set-up for abuse. Other than maintanence.

Yes they have made an effort but does he have a quality running machine that he satisfied with???
It seems they fell short of the total goal.... to give him a dependable running machine no matter the cost. He had confidence to invest with them and they are not making their problems right. That is a lack of customer commitment to me.

Your right we really don't know the whole story other than what the OP has provided us with. I think in order to restore confidence in the manufacturer, they'll have to makie it right. SpeeCo makes an affordable splitter for the common guy that is great, but if it fails and it looks like it is their fault than they should make good on it without any BS. In this event it looks like it is. Even if it includes having to spend more money in parts than the splitter is worth. And not tell the guy, here ya go it's your baby you fix it, we've washed our hands of it:mad:

please reread what I posted....

this is the first instance of a speeco causing this much trouble.
there's been a few instances of bent toe plate, couplings, etc. all taken care of by speeco promptly.

NO one else has had this many problems with a speeco. they have been a pretty solid splitter. the best of the low end splitters.

have you even operated a speeco splitter?

anyone that's changed beam positions knows... beam is extremely heavy and can be dropped.. possibly causing damage. this could be viewed as abuse. please note at no point is anyone accused of dropping their beam. just that it's possible to cause damage this way.

NO one else has reported a failure of beam mounting tabs.

we have not seen any pic's or heard from other side.
all I've been pointing out is based upon speeco's reputation of taking care of customers. I'm withholding judgment until all the details comes out.

I guess before there is a full out pissing match here, we'll have to agree to disagree:)

I have used a couple of different SpeeCo splitter TSC branded. One was a 22ton and the other a 27 ton. It performed well for me, but I'm still not in love with the overall design. I think it could be improved on. I think the engine sets to close to the buisness end of the splitter kind of in your way almost. The beam is a little sloppy fitting, which is why it oblongates the piviot point tabs. I don't think it is the kind of machine that will be still going in 20 years on it's original pieces/design.

That beam that you refer to as extremly heavy probably weighs < than 80 pounds. If I'm thinking correctly it is a built up beam and not a Hot-roll W beam of any sort. I don't think it is the dimesions of a W8X18 which weighs 18#'s per lineal foot and it cannot be longer that 5'-6'. Not a real heavy item there. I'm sure structural it's fine but as far as weight not heavy more awkward than anything.
Edit: Opps, I forgot about the weight of the toe plate to the beam so it probably adds a bit more weight to it:dizzy:

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it:greenchainsaw::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Ok sorry guys I have been busy. As far as the whole warranty issue, it is not specified between commercial and residential use. NO where, on the site or in the manual does it specify warranty terms. And whose to say what is residential and what is commercial?? I know a few tree company's who sell wood, would be considered "commercial" but actually split very little and chip most everything. I know a few "residential" guys who heat solely with wood year round (even for hot water etc) and split a heck of a lot of wood. They make things called hour meters. If you are concerned you state that the machine will be warren tied for 3 years or so many hours. If the company is that concerned their machine wont make 3 years even under commercial use, then you need to state a difference in warranty and/or put an hour limitation on it. I am posting up pictures. I will admit my machine is not waxed nightly, but as to say it is abused no. I has split wood, but isnt that what it was designed for? Note picture 3 is of the wedge. That is the origional wedge. It has never had a file or a grinder to it to smoth it out or anything. If it was "used excessivly" that would be wore down. If it was miss used that thing would have damage to it. The cylinder was replace, but the wedge is the origional. Picture 4 still shows that the sticker is still partially intact inside the rail.

Last edited:
More pics. Note the last 2 pictures of this post is of where the welds on the previous tank cracked. The welds spot welds are part of the tank. The only reason that the whole tank had to be replaced is this spot weld was cracked. Look at the quality of the spot weld. The weld is barley hangin onto anything.

The 4th picture here is to illustrate that "knubbies" are still on the tires, which dismisses the service techs theory that the splitter has been "roaded" alot ie taken on the road a lot. It has gotton its milage too and from the dealer. The spot welds showed in the above picture cracked. They had to replace the tank cause the weld is part of the whole tank. When they sent the new tank, the cap on the left was the wrong cap for that tank. They cross threaded the cap in the tank at the factory. When I used the splitter, it leaked oil everywhere. Then in order to try to rectify the problem they sent me the right cap( the cap on the right). Though it is hard to see in this picture, the cap size (diameter) and the pitch IS different. Once they cross threaded the cap at the factory it screwed up the threads in the tank. How is that my fault? Even with the new cap it still leaked.

The footplate don't look like heavy solid steel, that looks like that would bend again.

The first two pictures are of the dipsticks. Again the one on the left is the wrong one that was cross threaded at the factory into the new tank. The one on the right is the right one. As you can see the dipstick lengths are different and threading is different. Before I started splitting. I completely wiped the whole area down around the dipstick/fill cap and the tank. After about 20 minutes splitting this is what it looked like. Though hard to tell it leaks pretty good. I put the splitter in the shed everynight, and dont like it leaking on my concrete.

The first 2 pics are of the leak. The third picture is of the sutff we usually split with this splitter. I have the other heavier splitter for the big stuff and the foot plate is very small on these splitters. If you try to split anything large in the vertical position with these splitters there is so much wood hanging off the splitter it tries to pick the splitter up rather then split the wood. Lastly, this is the picture of the old beam they replaced due to bending.

well that certainly looks like a marginal weld. wonder why speeco didn't just get the old one repaired by welding it. looks like you'd been better off getting the old one welded and be done.

looks like one good slam and your new weld will be broken too.

it's hard to tell how much wear is on splitter due to new beam, tank, cylinder, etc. but I'm starting to think you certainly have basis to be pretty pissed.

looks like quality sure has gone down as compared to my 35 ton speeco. mine has good quality fab work all over. 35 ton's beam is 200+ lbs.

mine has been trouble free with exception of foot bending. it's so simple to change out beam. can't imagine going to all the trouble of taking to someone for repairs. changing out tank is another kettle of fish. all hydraulics fluids has to be drained with all hoses unbolted. have you tried using heavy Teflon tape to stop your leaks?

I'm still rooting for speeco to come through and do you right.

Last edited:
attachment.php

Is that welded on as crooked as it looks in that picture?

I never saw a speeco in real life before. I'd think the channel that the wedge travels in would fill up with bark and wood pieces, and the design would make it difficult to clean out. Those 2 holes by the foot plate look too small for most garbage to fall through

one would think so... but debris getting cleared out is never an issue.
20+ ton of force will push just about anything out of the way

I never saw a speeco in real life before. I'd think the channel that the wedge travels in would fill up with bark and wood pieces, and the design would make it difficult to clean out. Those 2 holes by the foot plate look too small for most garbage to fall through

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back