Very impressed with the burn on the Kuma Stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We brought these in this year and we are very impressed with the burn times and the active firebox. Never mind they are made in Idaho.

4630382f63e481349fad1289c9f6612a.jpg

They have been good sellers as well. If they bring the big boy back they will have a nice lineup.

Never heard of them.
How do they compare to LOPI, Pacific and some of the other big names?

They look very familiar in the burn process as LOPI and some of the others.

They are simple, welded steel stoves made in Idaho. Even their cast iron is poured here in the US.

Their warranty is fantastic, they even warranty their bricks for 3 years.

No frills hybrid stove. Secondary air as well as a catalytic combuster. They throw a significant amount of heat for their size. I loaded this stove twice yesterday. Once around 9 and it was ready to be reloaded around 230. Came in this morning at 730 and there was enough coals and charcoal to get it going again.

Nice. What are those big glowing holes in the back top of the stove? Do they add air and reburn the particles before going up?

That will likely depend on usage.

They are an Applied Catalyst combustor and carry a 6 year structural warranty and a 12 year performance warranty where the performance warranty covers 50% of the cost of a new combustor.

How often does the CAT need replacing?

That will likely depend on usage.

That's a nice looking stove!

Plugging up a catalytic element largely depends on the moisture content of the wood.
If you cut in the summer and burn in the fall, the fuel is probably not seasoned enough and will plug up the element in any stove.
Then add in people wanting long burns with the stove closed down, burning well seasoned wood is essential.
A temperature gage on the flue really helps.
The cat can be cleaned by poking out the individual holes, however most are ceramic, and as they age they become more fragile and crumbly.
They are intended to be replaced every number of years as regular maintenance.
The plus is burning cleaner (less chimney build up) and more heat from the fuel (or less fuel used).
Hot burns helps keep the cat and glass clean.
When cleaning the chimney I pull ours out as a precaution to keep it clean, and inspect and clean if necessary, or replace if fatigued.
We have two cat stoves that are the same, and keep a cat element on hand, as the one good wood stove store we had close by, closed many years ago.
Vermont Casting, also not as popular as it used to be, and dealers no longer stock many items they once used to, with mail order what it is.

I have 2 LOPI wood stoves. They are non-catalytic. They burn very clean. I season my wood usually 2 years prior to burning.
I get very little residue in chimney when I clean them.

Back