Very Large White Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may give you a starting point.
As a side note if you go to the log yard and scroll down to the bottom there is a picture of my mill sawing French brown Oak. Not the Dolmar.

http://www.talaricohardwoods.com/index.html

That is good stuff!!!!!!!!! It's awesome that these trees are being used instead of being dumped in a hole. I know of many many large trees over the years that got buried in a hole because it was to large for anyone to mess with :(. Great to see these trees being enjoyed.

Last edited:
Hi B. Edwards.

Backwoods referred me to this link; we know each other from a different forum. I own a Peterson WPF swingblade mill and live SW of Raleigh. I routinely saw up very large oaks; primarily quartersawning them. Although it's not assembled yet, I have most of the pieces to build a dedicated slabber to augment my mill; the last major part is a 40 hp motor that I am supposed to pick up next weekend. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

Typically, when I inspect very large oaks that have blown over, they are usually too rotted to obtain much usable lumber from.

I'm located about two and a half hours from Wilkesboro. Can you tell me the DBH? Also, can you make some exploratory cuts or use a stick and find out how far up the trunk the rot goes?

Thanks much.

Scott Smith

If it's realy 500 years old that tree was "born" around the time America was discovered (1492 vs 1510). Think about that for a minute.
2010-500 = 1510

Need any beams for a barn or bridge? If it's White Oak, that's the ideal wood for outdoor use man. Solid piece dining room table?

Whatever the tree becomes, if it were mine, I would do my best to create items that paid homage to a 500 year legacy...some how, some way.

This tree makes the big oak I found last week look like a toothpick. It looks like a job for a swingmill for sure. Scott did you see the picture that was on page 1 ?

attachment.php

We dont have many trees like this left around here and I'd like to use some of the wood to do something to honor the tree. I know it sounds silly but thats what I want to do.

I can't agree with you at all on this.

It doesn't sound silly at all. It sounds right. :cheers:

Keep us posted! If we find out you milled this thing and we didn't get pictures, well... You'd better have a good reason or good life insurance! :laugh:

This tree makes the big oak I found last week look like a toothpick. It looks like a job for a swingmill for sure. Scott did you see the picture that was on page 1 ?

attachment.php

Yeah Britt, I saw that. I looked at one similar to that over in Wilson a few months back; it was in the side yard of an old plantation house and blew over in a windstorm. Unfortunately it was completely rotted (especially the portion that had the bee hive - that got exciting...).

Here is my largest log to date. I'm standing on the stump that I cut it from...

Yeah Britt, I saw that. I looked at one similar to that over in Wilson a few months back; it was in the side yard of an old plantation house and blew over in a windstorm. Unfortunately it was completely rotted (especially the portion that had the bee hive - that got exciting...).

Here is my largest log to date. I'm standing on the stump that I cut it from...

I would be grinning just like you were. Very nice log!!!!!

Thanks Guys. I was able to recover some 20" wide QSRO boards from that log; some of the boards have some great ray flect too.

OK SCSmith, you opened the door with your big log pics.

Here is a large sequoia that I hauled back to the house the other day.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Although this tree was really big it was less than 40 years old.

I was a little nervous hauling this on my trailer so I made special bunks so it would not roll off and crush some little Honda civic or something.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was a little nervous hauling this on my trailer so I made special bunks so it would not roll off and crush some little Honda civic or something.

Nice log! Good idea re the bunks. When I haul large logs, I take a wrap around the entire pile and bind it down so that they can't roll. Also will use bunks to lock them in place.

I've got one log awaiting the mill that weighs 20,000 lbs. 54" red oak (small end) about 20' long.

That'll give the Lucas a workout! Please post pics when you mill it up!

Well. The butt section is a little to big to fit under the Lucas but the second section will be cut up on the Lucas in the next couple days.

Really I wish I lived close to NC, I would love to help out milling that big oak. Personally I would quarter and band mill it. I did that on a 5' oak last year and it made the nicest quartersawn boards you have ever seen, the widest being 29" of qsawn ray and fleck.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back in the early 80's a farmer friend gave us a bunch of White Oak logs just about that size. I'm 5'9" and they were right at arm pit height. He sold them to a mill that made barrel staves, they took one tractor trailer load out and came back and got all of their equipment and left. Said the bottom fell out of the market and they would lose money recovering the rest of them. They laid on the ground for a couple years when he gave them to us. Other than being big pretty logs they really meant nothing but firewood to us. They were so straight that I split every stick with a 3lb ax. Wish I had pics, Joe.

Back in the early 80's a farmer friend gave us a bunch of White Oak logs just about that size. I'm 5'9" and they were right at arm pit height. He sold them to a mill that made barrel staves, they took one tractor trailer load out and came back and got all of their equipment and left. Said the bottom fell out of the market and they would lose money recovering the rest of them. They laid on the ground for a couple years when he gave them to us. Other than being big pretty logs they really meant nothing but firewood to us. They were so straight that I split every stick with a 3lb ax. Wish I had pics, Joe.

OK, I am crying, I hate hearing about beautiful trees like that getting bucked up and burned. It happens all the time I know but I just love milling up big logs and for the most part it is worth the extra effort.

Here is the largest oak I have ever milled.
attachment.php

I put out some really nice quartersawn boards.
attachment.php

http://www.arboristsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=132540&stc=1&d=1270841103

I know this is an old thread.. but just wondering what happened with the tree??

Interested because I live soo close.. could literally throw a football and hit Allegheny county from home.

Mikey

I also live close, and have a much smaller but still monster tree to get milled up.

How big is your lil monster log B Harrison? Location?

I acquired a 38" dbh red oak yesterday evening. Top blew out, 25' still standing,
Straight.

Latest posts

Back