very old crosscut saw pic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboln52000

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Really, this probably belongs in the off-topic forum, but there are a ton of other threads related anyway, so i thought this is a good place.

If you all have read some of the Art Martin threads, and seen the pictures, there are several old cross cut saws shown.

Like this one,
044ecce9.jpg

Its at a local auction on Saturday, in case anybody is intersted.

Here is the link to the sale bill,
http://www.bostoncentury.com/

Matt

Nice picture, thanks.

Forget about hauling it into a tree MB imagine flipping it on its side to make a backcut:confused:

Wonder where the chain brake is on that one?:D

Is that a hit and miss engine on it?
I found these pics on eBay I think.

Is that a hit and miss engine on it?
Yeah looks like it, and gear drive too. Hey Blaster you need that to keep your 090G company.

Wonder what happens when the bar gets pinched and stuck. :eek: John

Ray Benson, Those old hit and miss engines had a total loss cooling system. They didn'y make as much heat as you'd think so all they needed was a bit of water to boil off.

Ottawa was probably the biggest name brand in drag saws years ago, and I think they eventually marketed units that could be powered by the PTO of a tractor. While Ottawa certainly sold engines like this for use as power units in other situations, these old dragsaws are the most commonly seen.

That particular model was probably 4-5 hp, and could run on kerosene if necessary. A neighbor's grandfather had one of these and a shingle mill on his farm to complement his small lumber business. There is a photo of My neighbor's dad operating it as a small boy.

The old man had one. Not nearly as big. It was moveable by one man (or boy as in me) by moving one end at a time. Was on a V shaped frame, wide end went on the log with two dogs to drive in to hold it. Slow cutting but it worked out that you could split and load the prior round while the next one was cutting. My problem as a 14yoa was jus getting it on and off the wagon.

Harry K

I do plan on attending this auction, but not for the saw. But, I will post back the price it brings. Any gueses on what you guys think it will go for???

Nice condition, looks restored, but not concours quality job. Given the economy, probably around $350.

If a couple people get interested in it I think it would go for $700-800 at least.

Latest posts

Back