vid of climber falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New to me, just another reminder to slow down and focus on what your doing.

Anyone care to interpret this for us non-climbers?

I know what I think he did...but I only have enough knowledge to know some of the terms and zero practical experience.

He is basically free climbing while moving around... meaning he has no lanyard or climb line holding him up. The shame of it is he has two lanyards and a climb line clipped to his belt.

Yup, looks like he was switching from his lanyard to his climb line but never tied off into the climb line before releasing the lanyard?

Was he painting pruning cuts as he spiked up the tree?????

When he tried to make the switch from sitting on his lanyard to lowering himself from his top rope he didn't quite get the proper grip on the right rope. It looks as though he went to lower himself without any kind of belay device or friction hitch.
If I am on my spikes sometimes I unclip my lanyard and drop onto a single line with a figure 8 which actually can be tough and scary having no back up. I had to turn the volume down when I watched this video again.

Yup, looks like he was switching from his lanyard to his climb line but never tied off into the climb line before releasing the lanyard?

Was he painting pruning cuts as he spiked up the tree?????

When he tried to make the switch from sitting on his lanyard to lowering himself from his top rope he didn't quite get the proper grip on the right rope. It looks as though he went to lower himself without any kind of belay device or friction hitch.
If I am on my spikes sometimes I unclip my lanyard and drop onto a single line with a figure 8 which actually can be tough and scary having no back up. I had to turn the volume down when I watched this video again.

thats what I get for not going full screen. I did not see him toss his climb line over before spinning to the other side of the tree.

Call me a wussy but this is why I always leave my lanyard connected when switching to climb line until I sat in on the climb line and know its holding.

is it me or does he kinda look like AA's crackhead nephew.

Last edited:
thats what I get for not going full screen. I did not see him toss his climb line over before spinning to the other side of the tree.

Call me a wussy but this is why I always leave my lanyard connected when switching to climb line until I sat in on the climb line and know its holding.

Another thing he forgot to do. After all this time I still check just how snug a new tie in is before letting loose of the old.

Yea he hit hard , I felt bad for him, I mean that sux for real , as much as you despise some , I would never wish that on that many people , well a few but that lost is small and distinguished

What figure 8 are you using? I recently bought the Petzl Pirana as my back up. I have yet to use it with spikes but I used it the other day in a large Live Oak I was pruning. I used it while traversing to another section of the tree Drt style. I was able to adjust the friction where it almost held me in place. when I let go I was barely moving. Then I just tied a half hitch when I needed a break.

I am with you Treepig. I rather take an extra 10 seconds to check my hitch, line, & TIP will hold while backed up with the flip line so I don't make a devastating, yet simple mistake:rock:

I am with you Treepig. I rather take an extra 10 seconds to check my hitch, line, & TIP will hold while backed up with the flip line so I don't make a devastating, yet simple mistake:rock:

I have actually done the opposite, lowering on my climb line and had to go back up the tree to take pressure off the lanyard. But it beats the hell out of the alternative.

Anyone care to interpret this for us non-climbers?

I know what I think he did...but I only have enough knowledge to know some of the terms and zero practical experience.

First mistake happens at about :23 (beyond of course the whole spurs and spray issue).......he becomes distracted, I suspect that he is thinking more about being posted on Facebook and making it look good. He gaffs out at :48 and doesn't even flinch or slow down because that would not LOOK macho. To maneuver around the tree a little better it looks like he places a climbing line above but never checks it. AGAIN, probably thinking about all the people that will be watching his video. A beginning climber probably would not make this mistake, it takes experience to make this kind of mistake. What I mean is that you get to the point that you can let things distract you and you are not thinking about what you are doing 100%. You can see that he drops his lanyard and sets back on his climbing line that he never checked. Again, because he is probably thinking more about the camera than climbing. (and talking to the customer)
It is like the story in in the preface of TCIA's Best Practices for SRT in Arboriculture. I is not "what went wrong, it was who went wrong?.
I suspect there is a point when a climbers ability is such that he lets other things, other than the climbing, fill his mind and the discipline is to not allow this to happen. It is a discipline just like any other, keeping full control of your mind.
Can't help but comment on the home owner. ......... "What happened?", well let's see, I think I just fell out of the tree, probably shattered my spine into little tiny pieces. Well then, "do you want to roll over on your back", maybe that would help sever your spinal column too, just want you to be more comfortable you know. No thanks, but if you would just stop asking how I feel and call 911 that would be great.
Good god!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm glad the climber survived and I hope he has made some recovery.

Was he planning on spraying all his spur marks aswell , or just wounds over 2" ? I mean that skip out he had had to be 10" long ! Glad to see that there was a ficus bush at the base of that tree I am thinking that may have saved his life !

Latest posts

Back