vid of climber falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texting and Climbing is Dangerous

Painting pruning cuts?

Spurring up a tree to paint pruning cuts??

It doesn't look like you just got the trees pruned, it looks like you just got the trees aerated.

I am commenting before watching the vid -- don't know if I want to.

I ALWAYS do a visual check on my lanyard clips when I switch from one to the other to get around a limb, or when I switch in or off my life line, in addition to "weighting" the new piece of protection.

Switching to my rescue 8 (a figure 8 with "horns"), same thing. I will loop the 8 on the life line, tie it off with a few wraps and a half hitch behind the horns, and gradually loosen a flip line until it is loose and unsnap it (with one hand gripping both pieces of rope above the 8); then I use the other hand to unbind the 8, and rappel.

Never had a problem, knock on wood (just knocked on my desk! :D

I HAVE noticed that one or two times my lanyard clip, clip (or 'biner) at the end of my lifeline or /biner on my split tail did not close because of a chunk of pitch or bark in it -- I even got a piece of a jacket in a clip once-- something that could go unseen without a visual check.

This is an ingrained habit, like double checking where the rigging and flip line is when cutting a piece.

Now if I could just transfer that focus to my life on the ground...:bang:

fall

All I can say is I am angry to hear some of the arrogant or flippant comments made on this forum. God bless that man and I pray he can take care of his family.:angry:

All I can say is I am angry to hear some of the arrogant or flippant comments made on this forum. God bless that man and I pray he can take care of his family.:angry:

I appreciate your remarks and it caused me to go back and read my comments.
I think we are all trying to learn from his mistake and identify what that mistake was so that no one repeats it. I was being as critical as I could to provide constructive and useful critique without just finding fault. The only real criticism I have is of the owner distracting the climber and then suggestion that he roll over. I am sure he was in a little shock to see this but everyone should know not to move someone after this kind of accident. That was just ignorant.

I too hope the man is ok and can live a full and successful life.

Is there anything you can suggest to help others learn from such a serious fall?

I would like to understand better what you are saying here. What do you mean by "instruction" and why is that sad?

Thanks

Because people confuse knowledge with experience and get hurt or killed.

Just because one knows something does not mean they truly understand it.

Just because one knows something does not mean they truly understand it.

I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant, if you know what I mean. :msp_confused:

Because people confuse knowledge with experience and get hurt or killed.
Good point.
Can you give me some examples?

Just thinking...
knowledge vs. experience
knowledge with experience
knowledge without experience
experience without knowledge........

Good point.
Can you give me some examples?

Just thinking...
knowledge vs. experience young college grad vs old timer
knowledge with experience old timer with college or school of hard knocks
knowledge without experience teenager ... how they survive is beyond me
experience without knowledge........ school dropout (learning disability???) that learns by doing

Difference between knowledge and experience is pain ...

That last category, learning disabilities run in my family ... dyslexia and such. Several of my relatives never made it through school, yet they had families, supported them and were well regarded by local communities because of their work ethic and competencies. A couple of them never learned how to read ... does not mean they were stupid. They were quite canny in their own way.

I know you think you understand what you thought I wrote but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant, if you know what I mean. :msp_confused:

I have read enough of his posts to form an opinion that only has value for me ... so I take what I need and leave the rest untouched.

It is all I got and there are other members that can get what they want or need from all our posts. :shrug:

I never could get the video to load enough to see him actually fall(dial up), but from what I saw, it looked like he was trying to get his climb line or a lanyard across a limb above him, in a white pine. If you've ever worked white pines, then you know the limbs are extremely brittle, if it's not a good sized limb(at least 4 inches or more), and your line isn't close to the trunk, then you stand a good chance of snapping the limb off by putting your line across and resting your weight on it.

It's best to get your line around the trunk, and tie a running bowline for an anchor than to use a single limb, especially in a brittle tree like the white pine.

Just my $0.02

I agree.
I think it's sad that some take this forum as a place for instuction.

For me instruction implies an organized, systematic and interactive approach to learning and I certainly would agree that the structure of this forum does not meet that criteria. As an example, imagine a flight instructor trying to teach a person over the internet how to land an airplane. Probably will not go to well but can the student still learn something? I think so.
The NTSB spends billions analyzing accidents so that others can learn from them and hopefully not repeat them. It would be sad to me if I did not learn something from this poor man's tragedy and incorporate it into my activities. I agree that this is not a place for instruction but I certainly hope to learn something from every post and incorporate it into a well balanced approach to learning. I think it is a great place to learn by listening and sharing and it is up to each individual as to how much benefit they get from that.

I'm a paramedic, have been on an ambulance for 4 years, and seen a lot of ####, and that was painful for me to watch. Talk about a learning experience!

Latest posts

Back