view from the tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve got some pictures in here of my harvester stuck pretty bad. It can and does occasionally get pretty wet here. We try to get across those acres as soon as possible. Few tracked machines here also. Deere used to make some hillside machines also but I don’t know a lot about them as it’s flat here. Never seen one in person but they made the “side hill” model for years. Maybe they still do?
The Deere sidehills were quite popular here in the late 1970's and through the early 1990's. I rode in one many years ago and it was quite freaky. My personal opinion is they fell out of fashion for several reasons. The first being in the 80's we were facing the some of the worst times agriculture had seen. The government had many programs to try to offset the losses. Of course cutting production through the use of "set-aside" acres was one. The next was the CRP program. I know I might be in the minority on this but it was actually a program I supported. It took a poop ton of the land out of production that folks should never have been farming anyway. You should see some of the land that was cleared here in the 70's and the hills they tried farming. That ground was taken out through the CRP program. When it was taken out of production the need for a sidehill combine was greatly reduced. The next thing that killed the sidehill was the fact that technology caught up. The companies developed better grain distribution in the threshing system and reduced the 'piling" or bunching of grain in the machine. Some might remember the Gleaners with the blower assemblies. Lastly in my opinion the downfall of the sidehill was simple economics. They just plain cost more and the benefit received did not outweigh the cost.

Split a couple cord of wood for a neighbor today with the ol' 886.
KIMG2747.JPG

It runs this splitter quite nicely 😏
KIMG2747 (1).JPG

I can’t hear very good now at 37 from running equipment. Had a 1566 also. Had a cab but we took the doors off back in the day
I have never been a Deere guy so I cannot confirm this but I was told the 4020's with cabs rattled so bad many guys took them off. I have heard some tried filling the hollow area with sand but it did not help.

I have never been a Deere guy so I cannot confirm this but I was told the 4020's with cabs rattled so bad many guys took them off. I have heard some tried filling the hollow area with sand but it did not help.
I want to own a 4020 diesel one day. They’ve become so popular with the collectors they’re becoming unobtainable for me. They’d have little use for me today so basically it would be a toy. But I really really want one. A respectable beater is around 10000 $ these days

Yes it does
last time it happened, earlier this year... had been shredding just fine... then on one slope, i slipped down. stuck in mud! and got between fence and steep bank. edge of old country road that used to run along the property eons ago.... i tried for a good 20 mins to no avail to get unstuck! in morning, other tractor had it out in just a few mins...

and then... on with the day.

Back