Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6714d46c2192471c7731456b4b544185.jpg

The piston looks near mint on this saw. However the exhaust port has at least 1/8" layer of carbon and some of it is falling off. Do you guys recommend removing the cylinder and de-carbon the cylinder/ piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6714d46c2192471c7731456b4b544185.jpg

The piston looks near mint on this saw. However the exhaust port has at least 1/8" layer of carbon and some of it is falling off. Do you guys recommend removing the cylinder and de-carbon the cylinder/ piston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably wouldn't hurt, I have a few that I probably need to do that too

Pretty good looking C-51 by the way

Was rooting through my pile and found a Homelite big red super XL. Don't know much about it but definitely looks vintage.
Those big reds are really collectible from my understanding, but they were also a re-run in like the 90's, it was one of homelites last attempts to bring sales back by trying to play on nostalgia from the old super XL's. The made the "Big Red" and "Old Blue".

It's broken down but looks like everything is there. Might even have the original bar. It's in a plastic case so I'm guessing it's the 90's version. That's still well over 20 years old. It's probably the biggest saw I have.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.

It's broken down but looks like everything is there. Might even have the original bar. It's in a plastic case so I'm guessing it's the 90's version. That's still well over 20 years old. It's probably the biggest saw I have.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow.
Man they are great runners, they have a lot of torque. The Super XL in my avatar is what started my addiction haha, my grandfather in law gave it to me and it runs beautifully, I thought the auto oiler was going out but when I used it the other day it seemed like it was oiling on its own pretty good.

So how was everybody's weekend? Got a couple of little projects unrelated to saws done, but the 017 did get a little run time, so that automatically made the weekend good.

Latest posts

Back