Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good weekend everyone? Ran a 40 mile race around Letchworth state park Saturday... saw plenty of places a little saw would come In handy and some spots a big saw would be good!
6011b644f13afad632b12882169ec76c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone mentioned hearing a saw running and trying for an ID.
The old monsters had a voice that carried, in certain locations you knew who was working and where.
I could hear a big Homelite on the opposite ridge and know the saw and who was running it.
It's also easy to tell a big cube saw by its sound as well

The old monsters had a voice that carried, in certain locations you knew who was working and where.
I could hear a big Homelite on the opposite ridge and know the saw and who was running it.

Yes, for sure! Each brand had a very distinctive sound! Now with the saws all having higher rpms as well as less manufactures it has gotten much harder to tell. Despite that, I can usually tell an Stihl from a husky which is all they run around here.

I can tell you a Mac generally. Sometimes Stihl from husky. I can even tell the difference in my husky from my Stihl by exhaust smell. Don't know why but it's true

So gonna post here in hopes of some help.
I have two project saw that I can't get to run, both act the same way. One is an old blue homelite ez. The other is a Sears Roper D44 both of them have had kits put in the carbs and new crank seals. They will both fire right up on a prime but absolutely refuse to run on their own. The homelite I have been back in the carb 3 times messing with the metering lever and triple checking all of the ports. I can say for sure that it is getting fuel to the metering chamber.The roper has a weird power products carb on it that I've never seen, but I rebuilt it, pulled all the Welch plugs, made sure everything was clear. What am I missing? Any ideas?

So gonna post here in hopes of some help.
I have two project saw that I can't get to run, both act the same way. One is an old blue homelite ez. The other is a Sears Roper D44 both of them have had kits put in the carbs and new crank seals. They will both fire right up on a prime but absolutely refuse to run on their own. The homelite I have been back in the carb 3 times messing with the metering lever and triple checking all of the ports. I can say for sure that it is getting fuel to the metering chamber.The roper has a weird power products carb on it that I've never seen, but I rebuilt it, pulled all the Welch plugs, made sure everything was clear. What am I missing? Any ideas?
Checked and set points?

How does it get its impulse?

Compression?

Points have been cleaned, gapped, and I have fat blue spark on both saws. Dont remember what I got for comp on them but I wouldnt have gone this far if it was low lol. Impulse is through a port in the mounting flange on both and ive made sure the impulse holes are clear. Both saws are pumping fuel to the carb as seen through the clearfuel line, they just wont run on their own.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Points have been cleaned, gapped, and I have fat blue spark on both saws. Dont remember what I got for comp on them but I wouldnt have gone this far if it was low lol. Impulse is through a port in the mounting flange on both and ive made sure the impulse holes are clear. Both saws are pumping fuel to the carb as seen through the clearfuel line, they just wont run on their own.

No air leaks between carb and flange? Intake boot, if it has one is in good shape. Flipping the reed valves has also made an improvement to the overall running nature for my one saw. Don't know too much about those saws, so I'm just tossing out ideas.

Interesting, let me ponder on that

Bright blue spark, carb is pumping fuel, fires on prime.

That tells me everything is doing its job except for the fuel is not getting through the jet.

Here's what you do, prime the carb, run it til it dies, switch the ignition off, pull the cord about 4 or 5 times like your gonna start it then flip it back on, see if it will fire at all, if not pull the spark plug and see if it's wet.

Prolly a 900 series Homie ear bleeder.

ac13795c77f1210c57faa55e1c00e000.jpg
if it's a Roper like the craftsman 3.7 I can pull my carb and loan it to you to try it out.
Two things, that dirty saw above scares me. Haven't you taken it all apart yet and cleaned it? Secondly, what is the long knob for on the side of the clutch cover on the Craftsman? Chain adjuster, or the power-sharp?

Back