Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If your gonna start collecting saws your gonna want one, the old brutes have 30 year old saw dust packed everywhere

I use a substance called "Oil Eater". Just spray it on and hose it off. Sometimes it's good to scrape the stuff that's really on there. You can get Oil Eater and many farm stores and probably some auto stores. I buy it by the gallon, about $15. I read that it doesn't corrode metal as Purple Power does. It also helps to hose it off with hot water but I don't have that luxury so I just use the garden hose and dry it off quickly..

I'll be talking to my wife about getting a compressor then lol.

What is the difference between the Poulan and Poulan Pro, and why does a 1988 chainsaw not have a chain brake, didn't they have them by 1988?

Not a super easy question to answer. Poulan has had different companies at the helm. Currently the box store poulans it just means antivibe handles and a chrome cylinder are poulan pro. The green ones are rigid handle and bare cylinder.

For years poulan got away without chain brakes bc they used special "banana" bars where the bottom of the bar at the end starts to curve up. You cant flip them like others, it provides anti kickback of sorts. However older poulans destined for canada were outfitted with chain brakes.

I'll be talking to my wife about getting a compressor then lol.

What is the difference between the Poulan and Poulan Pro, and why does a 1988 chainsaw not have a chain brake, didn't they have them by 1988?
There were many different generations of poulan chainsaws when they were owned by different companies, if you look at acresinternet you will see there are 4 or 5 different makes of poulan saws, and they got around not having a chain brake by using an anti kickback bar called a banana bar, they have a curve on the bottom side of the tip that is supposed to reduce kickback and reduce the need for a chain brake, but all saws made by poulan or mac for export were required to have a chain brake...... @Boomer 87 could tell you more about the history and the differences between the two

Poulan saw company, beaird poulan, emerson electric, poulan weedeater,Electrolux, white consolidated, and Husqvarna were some of the companies that was poulan or poulan was under.

Im not gonna say bc i dont know it all 100% and i dont want to tell you wrong

Well I know more than I did a minute ago lol. I asked because I came across a Poulan Pro 655 BP with a 36" Bar on the internet. When I checked acres and saw it was manufactured in 1988 and it didn't have the brake it prompted my previous question.

Poulan is under Husqvarna now, and they just use the poulan name for cheap toss asides. Really sucks because it gives them a bad name. They used to build quality machines for pros that lasted forever. People think o its a junk poulan, but they don't know . Hand them a 5200 thatll change thier tune.

I have a bp655, mine has a chain brake i thought they all did. But that particular model is made in canada. Its the same as pioneer saws like a p65. That time period i think there was some merging going on. If you can buy it i promise youll be impressed. 6 cubic inch 99ccs monster of a chainsaw.

Poulan is under Husqvarna now, and they just use the poulan name for cheap toss asides. Really sucks because it gives them a bad name. They used to build quality machines for pros that lasted forever. People think o its a junk poulan, but they don't know . Hand them a 5200 thatll change thier tune.

When was the 5200 made?

I think 1975-1980. Thats kinda of the tail end of what i call pure poulans. After that some merging went on between poulan pioneer ie bp655. And merging between poulan partner and jonsered ie. Poulan pro 475, partner p7700, jonsered 2077. All mostly the same saw.

Jump on youtube and watch some saws running. Just search make and model of what you want to see. I do that alot, if you want to see how they run. you tube a 5200 and a bp655 see what you think.

Jump on youtube and watch some saws running. Just search make and model of what you want to see. I do that alot, if you want to see how they run. you tube a 5200 and a bp655 see what you think.

Ok so I watched videos of both saws, it sounds like the 655 doesn't have the kind of low end torque the 5200 has? What was I supposed to hear?

Ok so I watched videos of both saws, it sounds like the 655 doesn't have the kind of low end torque the 5200 has? What was I supposed to hear?
Supposed to hear bada** examples of American built muscle saw......... thats basically all, no science to it, just listen and be amazed haha

The more you are around saws and the more you collect them you will have a tuned ear for picking up on subtle differences in exhaust notes, I can hear nothing but audio of a saw idling and usually tell how it will perform or its displacement
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/best-sounding-loudest-chainsaw.301095/#post-5990135
Check out this thread, it has a lot of different saws and it kinda helps you pick out how they all have a unique sound
ADLM

Latest posts

Back