Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on my newly acquired West Bend 820, and I replaced the worn woodruff key that drives the clutch. I put the new one in, started the saw a few times and pulled the clutch to replace the springs.

While I had the clutch off again, I noticed that the brand new woodruff key was already worn... haven't even made a single cut with the new woodruff key in the saw, But it's already wore .005"

Is this normal??

Working on my newly acquired West Bend 820, and I replaced the worn woodruff key that drives the clutch. I put the new one in, started the saw a few times and pulled the clutch to replace the springs.

While I had the clutch off again, I noticed that the brand new woodruff key was already worn... haven't even made a single cut with the new woodruff key in the saw, But it's already wore .005"

Is this normal??
Pictures will probably help, along with the clutch so we can get an idea of what's going on in there.

I believe my 10

Well you can...Just that pesky s/h that kills it most of the time. So what is the cheapest way to ship stuff globally anyway? Might have to do a shipment later this year after my school is over for the semester and trying to figure details out in my spare time.

Air Mail is Cheaper than Postal from
Malaysia, so I've been told.

That keys job is not to secure but to keep from slipping, the fastener and if it has a cup washer locks it in place. That's what I would be looking at, why it's not securing it to keep from moving. I hope I didn't lose you on trying to explain it. All a key's job to do it keep it inline and help prevent slippage, not stop slippage. Something must be loosening up or not getting tight enough.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

We made it through the storm with a few trees down, worked all day hauling limbs and trees. Dad said I have a months worth at the farm to cut, only work there on Saturday, so looks like I'll be busy when we dry out.

Perfect time to get some video of some oldie's running then!

Got them pulled apart still, sorry. I'll be using my trusty Echo and Wild Thing. [emoji38]. That old Sears Ranger is just too dang loud to run, be deft from running that with ear muffs. Be like sticking my head down to my mufflers on my Harley, may sound good at first then after that you'll be saying uh, speak up all day. [emoji38]

I looked at that key, have you removed the sprocket drive and put something in place of it with the same thickness and tightened it down and checked for play in the clutch on the shaft?

Yes the sprocket is off, the clutch is a little sloppy on the shaft, and the only fastener is the nut on the very end of the crankshaft.

That keys job is not to secure but to keep from slipping, the fastener and if it has a cup washer locks it in place. That's what I would be looking at, why it's not securing it to keep from moving. I hope I didn't lose you on trying to explain it. All a key's job to do it keep it inline and help prevent slippage, not stop slippage. Something must be loosening up or not getting tight enough.

Just looked at a parts book, it's missing a spacer behind the clutch. Thanks for your help!

Back