Viper lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Found this on the internet.It looks pretty interesting!!Just tring to find out how much? Might make something like it.
viperlift.com

I don't know not an engineer but my son could figure it out.I just need something to load big rounds on to my truck instead of me lifting into it.Yes i could cut them in half but thats more time.It just would be nice !!!Even if i built something my self thats like it.

That is interesting, wonder what the rotation torque is on the receiver hitch ( might be the weak point)
the way its designed puts minimal torque on the reciever (as long as the load is centered in the bed) it's mainly a vertical load on the reciever...
load is applied as shown in this high tech "paint" drawing lolpaint.png

still a rotational torque on the receiver. Can't transmit straight down force when off set, at some point lengthening the top arm to the right in your drawing things would even out, this would vary with the mass of the load. I am sure it works just fine, just concerned because not all receiver hitches are frame mounted. A lot of those suv units do not even have a frame- uni-body. 18 gauge sheet metal isn't very strong ( 18 ga. is giving the benefit of doubt as well)

Receiver hitch with a cargo carrier. Light weight adjustable logboss brand splitter. Splitter rides to and from jobsite on that removable carrier.

Iam wondering how much there selling them for.I need to do something besides using my legs and back.Work smarter not harder,i try to do.

still a rotational torque on the receiver. Can't transmit straight down force when off set, at some point lengthening the top arm to the right in your drawing things would even out, this would vary with the mass of the load. I am sure it works just fine, just concerned because not all receiver hitches are frame mounted. A lot of those suv units do not even have a frame- uni-body. 18 gauge sheet metal isn't very strong ( 18 ga. is giving the benefit of doubt as well)
It is used only with a jack stand under the receiver , and I doubt any one would be using one to load a SUV!

Well the price is drum roll please..................... they start at 9,000$$$ :eek::buttkick:

Nine grand? The truck better be included!

I ain't enough of a hillbilly engineer to guess on the rotational torque, but another jack on the outside corner would be added to one I built.

Well iam going to build something just drawing some stuff out.I might try to use my rope winch.

i think it would be cheaper to find a harbor freight near you and get one of there bed lifts. not as fancy but around 150 if i remember right. or if you are handy with a welder i have heard of guys converting engine cherry pickers to work in a truck. i am not a big fan of putting all that load on a reciever especially rotational torque. that is only really a 2 1/2 square tubing. say your truck is 6 ft wide, split that in half since you are only going to one side. no you have a 3 ft bar making a 90 turn and running parrallel to your bumper. if just a 200lb man stands on the end of that bar that will put 600ft/lbs of static torque into that reciever connection. good drive shafts have blown with less than that. say you wanted to lift that 500lb plow that is 1500ft lbs of torque as long as you dont bump it or shock load the connection then the forces can go way up.

i realize the viperlift seems to try to move the load back to the center of the truck so it is mostly a straight downward force on the hitch but unless you are lifting on flat concrete and never push to the side and the spings dont move that is not going to be the case. lets be real most guys push stuff way past normal limits regularly and i dont believe that hitches are designed to be used that way. i could calculate the shear strength if i really got into it.

if you could add a outrigger like Steve said or tie it into the frame more we would be talking a differant story.
just my 2 cents of thoughts

Back