Volunteer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P1151584-1.jpg

Here ya go ;-) :cheers:

:hmm3grin2orange: Hey now, that was a very technical cut I was doing. Years of experience and accumulated skill on display.

We used an ax instead of a steel wedge to keep the log from splitting. There's lots of little tricks. And yes, you'd need to have a first aid card, and go to the first training. It's really a good thing...better than having a saw handed to you and the training the words, "don't hurt yourself" like happened to me. That was the gubmint too. I didn't hurt myself but I sure was sore the first week.

I had a first aid card over 20 years I wish they would quit screwing with the dern compressions cycles crap, confusing is what it is and yes that's gubmint. check call care was last one I went to I'm sure its different now :hmm3grin2orange: Now wait was it 2 breaths 12 compressions or look listen feel, wait omg how bout I fart first see if they wake :) 4 cycles check pulse oh no the fart killed them :monkey:

Last edited:
Pat McManus got it right with his story about the Christmas hatchet.

The gist of the story was that when a kid gets a hatchet in his hands, an urge to chop happens. Table and chair legs show damage, shrubbery gets chopped and then a true mystery happens. The hatchet mysteriously disappears after the kid is asleep in bed.

Pat McManus got it right with his story about the Christmas hatchet.

The gist of the story was that when a kid gets a hatchet in his hands, an urge to chop happens. Table and chair legs show damage, shrubbery gets chopped and then a true mystery happens. The hatchet mysteriously disappears after the kid is asleep in bed.

It's that dern tooth fairy at it again huh lmao?

I went to a couple of the local USFS classes for trail volunteers. Learned a lot about the crosscut saws. They are fun when they are sharp, and tuned, and you can use them when you want to.

Picked some up at local flea markets, CL, etc. Needed some more projects . . . .

Philbert

I dunno, but looking at the pics of those blowdowns, I didn't see any big or challenging trees. Dead softwood like that saws up so fast that a crosscut will rip through it before a chainsawyer can get his chaps clipped on. Only trouble I can see are the sheer number of downed trees, as that can slow you down a bit. Many of those little ones are just good axe practice.

Site appears to be remote. Guessing that you'll spend much more time walking to the BDs than you'll ever spend pulling on a saw.

Nope. Just gauging the size of the logs in proportion to the hiking sticks. Most seemed to be near the ground and straight across the trail. I don't remember any loose root wads or steep slopes. Typical day in the backcountry with saw and axe.

Had some neighbor kids that volunteered some where in the Washington State,they said it would be easier to let the woods rot,kids do not want to work lol

It is wilderness to the citiots. There are more of them than us. Putting them in designated wilderness areas keeps them off the roads. I understand they may drive by the worksite however it is usually to far from the trailheads to park near the worksite.

Be glad there is a spot for them in the woods.

Citiots. I like that word and will use it. If the goal of this project is education/demonstration of larger hand saws and axes, it is a good thing. If the goal is trail maintenance, bring in the chainsaws with experienced operators, the impact would be equal to damaging a grain of sand on a beach.

Latest posts

Back