W.P.S. modded 625 Johney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

romeo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I spent the weekend playing with a 625 Jonsered that Dean modded. It is a stage 3T mod that Redprospector had done. First thing I noticed was his workmanship looked nice, nothing sloppy. Dean never got a chance to run it at all because it had a torn intake boot so he sent it untested.

So I put it together with a 28" bar and a full comp square chain and took it out in the back forty and ran it on a dry doug fir log. Also the rakers were set pretty deep ,.050 from an old experiment. The little red saw powered through and had no problem pulling chips. I then put a 30" bar and semi-skip square chain on it (rakers at .25) and she really started pulling chips. Surprising for a 61.5 cc saw.

Mid Saturday we decided to hit the desert with the dirt bikes and get in some camping while the weather was nice. So I put a 20" bar and full comp square chain on it and brought with us. This is where "little johny" shined. The hardest wood you can find around here is desert mesquite, I cut a few truckloads of it in no time flat. That little saw tore through that mesquite like it was bumping pine knots.:clap: :clap: :clap:

I not quite sure Red will ever see this saw:hmm3grin2orange:

Nice work Dean.

Well I spent the weekend playing with a 625 Jonsered that Dean modded. It is a stage 3T mod that Redprospector had done. First thing I noticed was his workmanship looked nice, nothing sloppy. Dean never got a chance to run it at all because it had a torn intake boot so he sent it untested.

So I put it together with a 28" bar and a full comp square chain and took it out in the back forty and ran it on a dry doug fir log. Also the rakers were set pretty deep ,.050 from an old experiment. The little red saw powered through and had no problem pulling chips. I then put a 30" bar and semi-skip square chain on it (rakers at .25) and she really started pulling chips. Surprising for a 61.5 cc saw.

Mid Saturday we decided to hit the desert with the dirt bikes and get in some camping while the weather was nice. So I put a 20" bar and full comp square chain on it and brought with us. This is where "little johny" shined. The hardest wood you can find around here is desert mesquite, I cut a few truckloads of it in no time flat. That little saw tore through that mesquite like it was bumping pine knots.:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice work Dean.
I have to find a older Jred to prove a piont in my mind if nothing else. Nice to hear about a older saw doing a good day's work.

W.P.S. modded 625

Romeo
Sounds like that Johnsered 625 screems.
When you were helping Metals 406 with some mods to his saw. I noticed he had a Johnsered 670 Super ll. Would that saw see big gains if it were modded?
I was supprised no one suggested it to him.

That family has always been one of my favorite saws and I always thought the 625 was the most suprising. I will almost always pick up the 625 in favor of the 630. I don't know why, but I like it better. I think it has a little more grunt.

Romeo
Sounds like that Johnsered 625 screems.
When you were helping Metals 406 with some mods to his saw. I noticed he had a Johnsered 670 Super ll. Would that saw see big gains if it were modded?
I was supprised no one suggested it to him.

Yea, its a much better saw to mod. But since he was on his first mod I think the cheapy is a better learner.

Nice work Dean.

Well, he!!. Now I see how you are.:laugh:
Can I at least see a video of it in action?

Andy

Latest posts

Back