Waiting for my supersplit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookpederson

Prairie Lumberjack
Reaction score
Well I bite the bullet and purchased a ss. I have been contemplating for awile now how to speed up my operation. And listening to every one in this forum I went with the ss, so you guys better be right or there is going to be some **** hitting the fan:msp_wink: I have a older shweiess 25 ton with a loading arm. So my plan is to put them side by side and split the 30" plus stuff in half then move it over to the super split. I'll put some pictures on when I get my new baby, man this is worse than csa:msp_scared:

I've had mine since April or so and at first was wondering if I'd made the right decision- I had saved all my elm rounds over the winter and they actually dried out pretty good. This made them much tougher to split. Now I split everything the same day, green as can be and am very happy with the SS. Those partially dried out elm rounds caused a lot of stalls and blown breakers (my SS is electric). The same types of wood (american/siberian/red elm) split much easier green. Have not blown a breaker since I've started splitting green. Standing dead elm that has been dead long enough for the bark to come off will usually split just fine too, but anything inbetween can be problematic.

If your planning on splitting huge knarly american elm rounds from a yard tree- keep the hydraulic splitter around for those....

Well I bite the bullet and purchased a ss. I have been contemplating for awile now how to speed up my operation. And listening to every one in this forum I went with the ss, so you guys better be right or there is going to be some **** hitting the fan:msp_wink: I have a older shweiess 25 ton with a loading arm. So my plan is to put them side by side and split the 30" plus stuff in half then move it over to the super split. I'll put some pictures on when I get my new baby, man this is worse than csa:msp_scared:

SS owner for a week...

Just picked mine up last friday. Only thing I'm sad about is I haven't got to try it out yet!! Between having minor surgery on my back (don't wanna pull stiches apart) and this dang head cold... oh well. Hopefully it don't rain tomorrow and I can try it out then.

But, dang that thing does look good !!! :rock: :msp_tongue: :rock:

I'm not worried about performance or longevity. The SS reputation speaks for itself. I learned what a kinetic splitter will do by owning a cheap SS wannabe. You can see the craftsmanship in the SS and it is very impressive.

I wish I could have picked mine up. And I did consider driving out to get, it but I did the numbers and the freight was cheaper. Oh well, at least I have about 4 cords bucked up and ready to go.

Unloaded, assembled and put about a cord though it. Now a bit of a critique -
Positives - Well made
easy to assemble.
splits like lightning- this thing is fast really fast.
No problem with the knotty or stingy wood, i tried both locust and elm crotches and knots A+
Light weight, I plan on lifting this thing into the back of my dump trailer w/ my loader and i like the fact that its 500#
I like the production table, as you split the wood is just pushed right off the back.

Negatives- Very tippy- Like the old honda 3 wheelers if you don't watch out you will tip it over moving it around, i came very close.

One coat of paint, more coats or powder coating would be nice. Paint is coming off in alot of spots already=rust:msp_unsure:

There is no way to move it around very good, i know this have been covered in other threads but it does suck. I was lucky with
my fix, i used the tow hitch off of my timberking sawmill. I don't trailer the sawmill anymore it stays in one spot so this was
perfect. I was going to weld it on but decided that i might one day need it for the mill and ended up bolting, it works. It
solved two problems, one when it's hitched up there is no tipping it over and i can move it anywhere, two it lowered the
center of gravity and strengthened the machine up a bit.( Pictures Below )

Overall it was well worth the money and I am happy as a squirrel in walnut grove with the speed and performance.

View attachment 268877View attachment 268878

Congrats!

Did you put the wheels on the table end on purpose? :msp_confused:

Seems this would make it more tippy. Never seen one assembled this way.

Mine's not too tippy at all and easy to move around by just grabbing the table by hand and walking it.

No wonder it's so tipsy. He built it bass ackwards. All the weight from the engine and flywheels are basically balancing on top of a post! LMAO!!!

I guess I could see how that could happen since the axle placement on a traditional hydraulic splitter is usually by the wedge.

I like splits being pushed off the back, I'd likely put one together the same way. A longer axle would go a long way with stability, but might not work to well for the OP if he wants to haul it in the back of a pickup. Moving the axle forward to about under the pusher would help a bit as well, but might not balance there without adding more weight.

Lmfao- see what i get for not reading the directions. You wanna guess what im doing after lunch.:monkey:

I plan on ordering one before spring...glad you posted your thread or who knows I could have been the one showing how to not put it together ;). Have fun with your new SS.

I want, I want, I want! I just can't make myself make the call and actually spend the cash. I lined up enough camp fire wood for the local park yesterday that would pay for it, but still would like to have some profit(or Chief financial officer would). I curse myself for finding you guys, you make me want more stuff.

Now that is funny!! I'm glad you are able to laugh at yourself. Everyone has DA (dumb@$$) attacks once in while! I have them often.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back