Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate when people share their knowledge but, if they don't want to there is no reason to try and bully them into it with "it's for the good of the community" BS.

If it's so simple to figure it out why haven't you done so? Evidently this has been a problem for a while, why no call for the information to be shared with the masses, until you needed it?

:cheers:
I'm not trying to bully anyone. I'm simply trying to promote a sharing community. What would this forum be if we all refused to share our knowledge with the community? Besides, it was Scott that came in here trying to sell his work, while refusing to share any info, on a thread that was looking for info. To me, that was a little distasteful.

I don't necessarily disagree but, just because you want him to share or think he should share his "fix" for the greater good does not obligate him to do so. You complained about the price he was charging, he explained how he arrived at that cost. Having seen that his price doesn't look exorbitant to me.

In your original post you said you had a couple of saws that could benefit from this fix, are these personal saws or customers? If they are for customers, are you charging to fix them?

It would seem there are two main reasons people bring their stuff to others to have it worked on either they don't want to fix it themselves or they can't. I'm sure we've all been in one of those categories before, it just appears that you're in the latter at the moment and aren't enjoying it.

Again, you're completely missing my point. I don't have one issue with Scott charging to do this for others. What I have a problem with is his general refusal to share with others. This isn't the first time this came up. I've been as long add most any active poster, and that's not conducive to the atmosphere that makes this place what it is.

$25.00 plus shipping and i'll make it run better then new

just the carb, i have saws to test them on

the acc pump is not the problem

I will gladly pay you for your troubles Sir on the next 199's that come in. I have had woods ported 346's and 357's come through with 199 carburetors on them with all kinds of idling and throttle response problems. Nothing I tried worked. I then bought the Zama replacement carburetors and they would not flow for crap on the ported saws for nothing. I tried the Zama on stock 346 and 357 and they were fine. They just wouldn't work on the hot woods ported saws these guys are using up here. Thank you for your offer to do this fix for us Sir.

Again, you're completely missing my point. I don't have one issue with Scott charging to do this for others. What I have a problem with is his general refusal to share with others. This isn't the first time this came up. I've been as long add most any active poster, and that's not conducive to the atmosphere that makes this place what it is.

Brad, I gotta say i thought you would take the high road,, pay him $25 and share with us.

I mean, the solution is simple-

:eek:uttahere2:

If someone wants to have the work done, then yes, it's a good deal. But, as I keep saying, that has nothing to do with what I'm saying. How about from now on, every time someone asks a question, we refuse to answer without payment. Is that the kind of site you guys want this to be? That's exactly what you guys are promoting.

Last edited:
I will gladly pay you for your troubles Sir on the next 199's that come in. I have had woods ported 346's and 357's come through with 199 carburetors on them with all kinds of idling and throttle response problems. Nothing I tried worked. I then bought the Zama replacement carburetors and they would not flow for crap on the ported saws for nothing. I tried the Zama on stock 346 and 357 and they were fine. They just wouldn't work on the hot woods ported saws these guys are using up here. Thank you for your offer to do this fix for us Sir.

Have you looked at the venruri size of those Zama carbs?

I'm not missing anything. You didn't care about a fix until you needed it. Now tree monkey evidently has one and won't give it you and you got torqued up. This is not the first time we've seen this behavior from him and also not the first time we've seen it from you.

As for not having an issue with him charging, was this not you?

Because that's the kind of community we are. We're not askin him to fix our carbs for free. He's asking $25 + shipping to fix a $40 carb.

That seems like you have a problem with it or, am I completely off base.

In any case, I do not have a fix for the 199. :(

Good luck in the search.

Why haven't I asked before? Because I didn't care or need to know. How difficult is that to understand? You can twist the facts any way you want, but I have no issue at all with someone charging for their labor. I have significant issue with someone refusing to share with the site. I also find it very distasteful when someone asks for help, and gets the reply, "I know how, but won't tell anyone.". Scott brought this to the table, not me. That's not the AS I know or want!

Last edited:
scotts been at this a lot longer than the average monkey. if he says he has a fix for it id say he has a fix for it. i also know that if you pmed scott and asked him in private how to fix something he would probably help out. i also dont know how it is with other guys shops but unless your a friend or paying customer most shops arent going to tell how to fix a problem that they would otherwise be paid to fix. scott does this for a living and we shouldnt expect him to publicly announce a fix for any problem. he pays his sponsorship to advertise his services just like any other sponsor does.in my opinion he advertised his service for fixing this carb problem and you can pay him for it or not. no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over it. ive learned that someones hard earned knowledge should never be expected to be givin away. if one chooses to share than so be it,if they dont well so be it. carry on

scotts been at this a lot longer than the average monkey. if he says he has a fix for it id say he has a fix for it. i also know that if you pmed scott and asked him in private how to fix something he would probably help out. i also dont know how it is with other guys shops but unless your a friend or paying customer most shops arent going to tell how to fix a problem that they would otherwise be paid to fix. scott does this for a living and we shouldnt expect him to publicly announce a fix for any problem. he pays his sponsorship to advertise his services just like any other sponsor does.in my opinion he advertised his service for fixing this carb problem and you can pay him for it or not. no need for anyone to get their panties in a bunch over it. ive learned that someones hard earned knowledge should never be expected to be givin away. if one chooses to share than so be it,if they dont well so be it. carry on
That's all good and well, but it sure doesn't set well when someone asks for help and is basically told, "I know, but I won't tell you.". If your work is that good, you're sure not going to go out of business sharing some of your knowledge.

And just to make this clear, this isn't really about fixing some cheap little carb. It's about a philosophy, the way we interact on this site. Trust me, it's no sweat off my back not to fix these carbs. Sure, it'd be nice if we all could save them. I got one little carb here. Big deal. Like I said, it's about the general unwillingness to share. If that's how you want to do business, then start a Web site and advertise your work, but don't come in a thread looking for info and refuse to offer some guidance.

Why haven't I asked before? Because I didn't care or need to know. How difficult is that to understand? You can twist the facts any way you want, but I have no issue at all with someone charging for their labor. I have significant issue with someone refusing to share with the site. I also find it very distasteful when someone asks for help, and gets the reply, "I know how, but won't tell anyone.". Scott brought this to the table, not me. That's not the AS I know or want!

You've proved my point. You didn't care until it effected you. Which means you're not looking for a fix for the community, you're looking for a fix for yourself. A week ago you didn't care that tree monkey wasn't sharing his fix but now that you want to know he is somehow withholding information from everyone.

If you find it distasteful that he won't share, why not figure it out for yourself? You don't want to or you can't?

And, the facts are the clear to see. There is no twisting required.

To be on topic: Is the issue with the accelerator pump or is it in another portion of the carb?

Like I said before, this isn't the first time that Scott has done this. It was with a different sponsor last time.

And what's your beef with me asking about this now? Are you suggesting that I should purvey the site, looking for everyone's issues, and then find the answers for them? That's not even logical. Of course I asked because I had a question.

And, if I may be so bold, no one has tried to share more than I have with this site. Others know plenty more than me, but I have always openly shared everything I've learned.

Last edited:
Well said Terry.....I refrain from entering these type of stirrings but I feel compelled to throw in my $0.02 on this one. First I respect Brad and his willingness to share quite freely info on a number of saw issues...it does add to the site greatly and others do this as well. He has answered questions from me about porting figures and results quickly and throughly. That said, if Scott makes his entire living from chainsaw repair and he has some tricks up his sleeve and desires to be compensated, that is totally understandable...it's his job/living and I expect it hard enough to make ends meet doing this work as it isn't like old car restoration or other high dollar mechanic type professions. His price is generous and though there was talk of $40.00 carbs unless you have an in somewhere the cheapest I have found the Zama carbs is around $50.00 these days and a Husky dealer is $90.00 or so.

I can understand his position...there are currently two high end woodworking websites that feature my work promently of the opening page of the sites....leading potential customers to believe that they are capable of such work...there is no mention of my firm or me personally. As close as that comes is a vague mention of using nothing but the best "local craftsmen". I can't stop them as they don't specifically say they did this work nor is there anyway to copyright or patent one off woodworking. Looking at it from Scotts position, should he divulge this info freely and publicly someone else (not you Brad) could certainly buy a sponsorship and advertise that he can fix 199s better and cheaper and Scott's out with nothing gained for himself or his business. There two side to every coin and I think Terry hit the nail on the head on this one.

Like I said before, this isn't the first time that Scott has done this. It was with a different sponsor last time.

And what's your beef with me asking about this now? Are you suggesting that I should purvey the site, looking for everyone's issues, and then find the answers for them? That's not even logical. Of course I asked because I had a question.

My issue is falling back on the "community". If you think tree monkey is being a jerk, just tell him that. There is no need to make yourself into a martyr for the cause.

When you only care after it affects you, personally, it's laughable to say you're just looking out for the community. You're doing for it yourself and if that happens to help the community in the process, that seems to be a nice side effect.

With all due respect, it's not your AS. Unfortunately, it's that very arrogance that breeds the resentment you occasionally experience from others. It's their AS, too.

No dog in this fight. Just sayin'....

Poge

Arrogance? Call it what you want. Other than the owners, I have invested more than most into this site. I care about what goes on here. I don't want to see this place return to the days of builder wars. It's a MUCH more enjoyable place when we all work and share together. That's how we learn, and pass the torch on to the next. No this isn't my site, but it is what we make of it. I'm simply doing my part to help see that this site stays a place that openly shares in this hobby we all enjoy.

Last edited:
Back