Walbro HD199 Fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
drill a 1/8 " hole in the center of the metering cover.
set the lever level with the carb body,
you need at least 15 psi of popoff
report back with your results

Yer goin' too fast and taking the challenge out of it, lol.

I've seen that hole in other carbs, always figured it was there to facilitate unsticking a stuck metering needle.

Have run out of time this morning, will have to get to it in the next am, I'm sure someone else will
jump on it and hopefully report in with the results.
Good stuff, this is...

Now I'll be thinking about it all day in work, the layout of this stupid carb is burned into my brain.

attachment.php
I don't try to figure out what the guy that's pumping out my septic tank is doing either. I'm just glad he's doing it.

Fixed it for you.

drill a 1/8 " hole in the center of the metering cover.
set the lever level with the carb body,
you need at least 15 psi of popoff
report back with your results

Wow, it can't be that easy can it? I'm a bit too far away to be shipping carbs, but I have kept my eye on this thread to see if you would reveal your magic.

Big Thanks for the hints and solution, you rock! :clap:

this will only fix the hi side problem, not the poor idle
there is more to it
so what causes the poor idle?

I figured there was more to it, couldn't imagine it would be $25 to drill a hole :msp_w00t:

If I were closer, or even in the same country, I would have just shipped mine to Scott by now, but the cost of the shipping would be more than the price of the fix. It would also sit at customs forever, potential to get lost, etc... I'm sure he will not loose much if any business by reveling his secret on this one. Many will still send their carbs, even if they know how to fix it themselves. Now his secret about cold fusion...thats a different story. Thanks for the tips Scott. I hope to get some time soon to try and put all of your tips together without ruining my carb completely in the process.

If I were closer, or even in the same country, I would have just shipped mine to Scott by now, but the cost of the shipping would be more than the price of the fix. It would also sit at customs forever, potential to get lost, etc... I'm sure he will not loose much if any business by reveling his secret on this one. Many will still send their carbs, even if they know how to fix it themselves. Now his secret about cold fusion...thats a different story. Thanks for the tips Scott. I hope to get some time soon to try and put all of your tips together without ruining my carb completely in the process.

How do you figure he won't lose any business? You want him to share his knowledge, but aren't willing to pay for it. Seems that he has already lost your business.

Last edited:
How do figure he won't lose any business? You want him to share his knowledge, but aren't willing to pay for it. Seems that he has already lost your business.

As said, If I were closer, he would already have fixed mine, but due to distance, I will not send it. So he never had my business to loose. However, if he wants to send me the full fix details, I would be happy to pay for the info. I never complained about his price, but what it would end up costing me for the round trip would not be worth it to me. Tell you what, I will buy my own carb kit, do the work myself, pay Scott $12.50 for the info, and agree not to post the fix on any forum and not us the info to fix anyone's carbs other than my own. Scott would then make more because he saves his own time.

My opinion, Scott is getting lots of entertainment value out of all of this. I think he likes to see us squirm. :)

As said, If I were closer, he would already have fixed mine, but due to distance, I will not send it. So he never had my business to loose. However, if he wants to send me the full fix details, I would be happy to pay for the info. I never complained about his price, but what it would end up costing me for the round trip would not be worth it to me. Tell you what, I will buy my own carb kit, do the work myself, pay Scott $12.50 for the info, and agree not to post the fix on any forum and not us the info to fix anyone's carbs other than my own. Scott would then make more because he saves his own time.

My opinion, Scott is getting lots of entertainment value out of all of this. I think he likes to see us squirm. :)

I guarantee it....
But a great fellow he is...

How about you figure out by yourself, see how long that takes, then charge $10 to fix it and listen to guys complain because shipping is too much or that they can do it themselves (as long as you give them step by step instructions and a picture tutorial). Then let us all know how inclined to share information you are. :dizzy:

I think a new carb kit is included in the price, so you aren't paying Scott hardly anything.

Just the time people have spent in this thread, #####ing about the price, has already cost them more than if they would have sent the carb to Scott in the first place.

Yep. I'm hoping Scott figures out the HDA164 issue too. When (not if) he does, I'll send him the HDA164 that is sitting (with a new kit in it) on my shelf. Wish I'd taken the time to examine the HDA137 for differences (compared to the 164) before installing it on the saw and trading it away. The 164 was definitely better made. The 137 looked poorly finished. I had to tighten the cover screws, tweak the idle speed arm on the throttle shaft, and clean up the detent groove on the choke shaft before things worked my satisfaction...

Scott's carbs come back clean, with a new carb kit, repaired, and ready to bolt on. That's cheap in my book.

I think a new carb kit is included in the price, so you aren't paying Scott hardly anything.

Just the time people have spent in this thread, #####ing about the price, has already cost them more than if they would have sent the carb to Scott in the first place.

You're not paying for what he does, you're paying for what he knows.

Please don't interpret what I said as complaining about the price - I know Scott's reputation is what it is for a reason, and I was just saying I know he doesn't just drill a hole and charge $25. :msp_thumbup:

Hush up Scott. Figuring this stuff out is the fun part......not as fun as watching.....but still fun.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I've got two 7900s that don't want to run with the stock Zama carbs........crappy carbs anyway.

I've lowered the pop off pressure, opened the idle passage two drill sizes, made the idle air bleed in the butterfly a little bigger. Still no joy. I could probably just put a 372 carb on there but then I wouldn't learn anything. :cheers:

Hush up Scott. Figuring this stuff out is the fun part......not as fun as watching.....but still fun.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I've got two 7900s that don't want to run with the stock Zama carbs........crappy carbs anyway.

I've lowered the pop off pressure, opened the idle passage two drill sizes, made the idle air bleed in the butterfly a little bigger. Still no joy. I could probably just put a 372 carb on there but then I wouldn't learn anything. :cheers:

Lean on idle or can't accelerate through to WOT? Does that have 2 or 3 idle inlets?

Back