"Walkerized" chainsaws.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have built a ton of 372's , 385's and have never seen a Husky under .040. and I live in Canada. The saws here are the same as they are in the States on squish, our 372's are a single ring well theirs are a twin ring, they have a high filter as ours has a lower filter,

ehp said:
I have built a ton of 372's , 385's and have never seen a Husky under .040. and I live in Canada. The saws here are the same as they are in the States on squish, our 372's are a single ring well theirs are a twin ring, they have a high filter as ours has a lower filter,
This is very strange. You are in Ontario? My measuring instruments are Mitutoyo and Zeiss.

Yes I am, my 066's are .040 stock as are most stihl's, but out here the 372's are all over .040, Hell I cut .070 off the base of the jug and then cut my piston to my squish which is .022 on most saws. I have got 372's from out west in the states and they were the same but maybe Husky is building you guys a different saw than the rest of us .
I have lots of measuring tools , I have Mitutoyo and Zeiss and others, you can just never have enough of them . I have 2- Zeiss , they are nice but I find the ones I got hard on Batterys compared to the others

ehp said:
Yes I am, my 066's are .040 stock as are most stihl's, but out here the 372's are all over .040, Hell I cut .070 off the base of the jug and then cut my piston to my squish which is .022 on most saws. I have got 372's from out west in the states and they were the same but maybe Husky is building you guys a different saw than the rest of us .
I have lots of measuring tools , I have Mitutoyo and Zeiss and others, you can just never have enough of them . I have 2- Zeiss , they are nice but I find the ones I got hard on Batterys compared to the others

Here is a 372 tip to save you decking the cylinders. The piston from a 670 Jonsered has the wristpin located 0.033" lower than the 372 piston. I machine 0.018" off the crown and travel in 3/8"(0.375") on the cross-feed of my lathe. Although this is a vented skirt piston, it gives excellent results and you drop several grams in reciprocating mass.

rahtreelimbs said:
Hey Simon,

How much expansion will you get on a piston assembly when the saw comes up to full temp.?
This depends on the size of the piston. The change in dimensions is length* coefficient of linear expansion * change in temperature. Lets look at the piston from an 066. 54 mm * 24*10^-6*200K=0.26 mm or about 0.010" The coefficient of linear expansion for aluminum is 24x10^-6/K. Don't forget the cylinder grows too. In a liquid cooled engine this can cause problems if the tolerances are too close. The piston will grow before the cylinder.

I will stay with my 372 pistons, it only takes me a couple minutes to cut a piston so why add cost into it.

ehp said:
I will stay with my 372 pistons, it only takes me a couple minutes to cut a piston so why add cost into it.
I don't add cost because I end up with a 372 stock piston everytime. Cheers. Just a tip that few know about.

But your piston and rod will grow more than the jug at it high temp. That is why you need more squish than most people think. I have seen motors with a cold measurement of .016 squish and the piston hits the roof of jug on the intake side once they have been cutting for 3/4's of their tank of fuel with their throttle wide open, guys cutting firewood do that

So now I would end up with a pile of 372's pistons that are cheaper to start with than a Jonsred part that I put in the saw. No thanks I will stay with my 372 pistons plus I like my wrist pin was it is,

Once you get beyond using a dremel tool on the muffler you've lost me. My 372 should arrive tomorrow. I hope to someday send it to EHP, even if I don't understand what he will do to it.

walkerized

I didn't want to hi-jack someone else's thread.....so I thought I'd start my own.

I've heard of the term "Walkerize" several times, and I know it has to do with improving the performance of a saw......but what exactly is done to the saw or what does the process consist of?

Thanks in advance! :)

Well walkerizing is porting exh work and ignitioin timing on some models we want your saw to last and work good thanks talk soon.any questions email [email protected]

Just thought I'd bring to your attention that this thread is almost 2 years old. Didn't catch on till I got to where Ed and Russ were posting to it.

Ian

Well walkerizing is porting exh work and ignitioin timing on some models we want your saw to last and work good thanks talk soon.any questions email [email protected]

Just thought I'd bring to your attention that this thread is almost 2 years old. Didn't catch on till I got to where Ed and Russ were posting to it.

Ian

Yes, but if you reffer to the post above, that is "Don". Hence why it was brought back to life.

Ran a Walkers 460 awhile back and so far it has been the only WOODS used 460 that has impressed me running it.
Just something about that 460 that makes it run like my 7900. :D

Can anyone else varify that sharping the divider in the transfer ports harms power in the 372XP?
Seems like that the blunt divider would cause terbulance!
No?

Al.

turbulance is good on right parts of engine, but more likely sharping the divider will affect spray from transfers in a bad way...

Latest posts

Back