Walnut log on Craigslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyR

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here's one close to me, but seems a little steep. At least this one is already down. Most of these types of ads on there the tree needs to be dropped too...

http://chambana.craigslist.org/grd/835135800.html

I offered to take it off their hands if they didn't get a better offer, but I haven't gotten a reply... that certainly isn't $50.00 worth of firewood is it?

I get so much wood for free I very rarely pay for any. That said, there is definately $50 worth of walnut lumber in a log that size. If it was only a few miles away and I had the Saturday free, I might go ahead and drop half a C-note on a log like this.

The last time I paid $50.00 for a walnut, I got the whole tree all 6 logs.

Figure in the cost of gas and your time, you already got more then $50.00 into it by the time you get it home. Add your time milling, drying ECT. there is not a whole lot of room for a profit margin.

However, if you are milling the log for your own use you do not figure your time into it, just your other cost.

I would haul it off for them as well if I was a lot closer.

The last time I paid $50.00 for a walnut, I got the whole tree all 6 logs.

Figure in the cost of gas and your time, you already got more then $50.00 into it by the time you get it home. Add your time milling, drying ECT. there is not a whole lot of room for a profit margin.

However, if you are milling the log for your own use you do not figure your time into it, just your other cost.

I would haul it off for them as well if I was a lot closer.

I got a 27" hickory like that....had 6 nice saw logs out of it....nothin beats free wood :). It just kinda sucks when you have to roll it by hand and drag it at times with a truck. I don't have heavy machinery to lift that bad boy.

As for that walnut...I would be more than willing to spend $50 on a log like that if it were close. Looks to be reasonably clear straight from the photo. Heck, you can get some nice boards from that. Well worth it.
Now, if your just going to cut it up for firewood....then I would pass....its a shame to see a nice walnut go to the flames.:cry:

Back