walnut slab

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkupcha

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Took a nice drive 90 miles south today to meet IMBeachy and pick up the slab he cut for me. Here are the photos. Had to trim off the soft wood from the edges. In the second photo you can see the final size the slab yielded. You can see some insect damage on the surface in the third. I will need to work on that and some end grain damage I'll need to fix. Fantastic grain pattern though. I'll need some advice from the good folks on this board to turn this slab into a beautiful sofa table. Thanks for looking.

What's the bug damage look like on the other side? You'll need to stabilize the splits with glue and clamp, moisture content in the teens. You gonna leave it live edge or trim? If you cut it square you could consider trimming it out with another contrasting wood-just some thoughts nice slab!

I'm not going to edge it out. I like the live/irregular look. Bug damage doesn't go through, maybe half way. Thanks for the tips!

Looks like a nice slab. If the damage doesn't go through I'd clean out any soft junk and fill it with epoxy after the slab's dried out. I might have to take a drive farther south to where I can find some walnut one of these days. They just don't grow around here.

looks like i need to start selling walnut slabs. you'd better fill that hole with something, or the kids will be wiping boogers in it. :jawdrop:

Back