Walnut trees & stumps in a pond

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slipknot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am currently building a pond where a woods of black walnut trees were, (I cut them down). A friend told me that I would have to get rid of all stumps and any walnut trees up along the bank. He swears that walnut stumps and any walnuts that fall into the water will blacken and poison the water, and the fish will die! Can anyone tell me if my friend is a dumba$$ or not? :) Can't stock it till I know, can't contact any of the authorities in my county. I was told I also needed a permit to build a pond. Its about 90% complete about 15 acres big so maybe its a lake, but I didn't get a permit so maybe you guys see where I'm comin' from. :angel:

slipknot said:
can't contact any of the authorities in my county. I was told I also needed a permit to build a pond. ...I didn't get a permit so maybe you guys see where I'm comin' from. :angel:
Whopsie. That omission may well come back to bite you. My dad built a dock into Green Bay without a permit, so my mom had to pay $100,000's to get it up to code before she could sell the place.
As for the walnut, google "juglone effects on fish" and see what you see.

slipknot said:
Can anyone tell me if my friend is a dumba$$ or not?

He's freinds with you isn't he.

Permits? Dude, a pond that size I think you should talk to the army corps of engineers or the department of interior.

And I agree, you may have alerted someone and get yourself in trouble.

But a 15 acre lake of my own would be bada$$.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its on my own land 49 acres! I just decided one day we needed a pond :)
So you guys are trying to tell me they find out what I'm doin I'm screwed?
This land has been in the family for 80 years and it will never be sold in my lifetime! The way I look at it, I pay taxes they can't tell me what to do with my land. If thats really a law well then I guess it aint a crime if you don't get caught! phuck em'

Last edited:
You can look the land use codes up at your counties website..just punch in the county and put .org at the end of the name.Yes I have heard of the walnut trees doing this to water and fish though have no proof.But lore is lore and it is probably true because they will poison plants under them.

I doubt you need a permit to build that size pond, there are regulations in Missouri that require a permit to build a large pond if a levee failure could threaten other property. It is based on levee height.
I would go to your states website and do a search.
If no one has noticed so far I wouldn't worry about it just don't make enemies, who could turn you in.
Dan

"The way I look at it, I pay taxes they can't tell me what to do with my land."

???? right!

Ditto Danl. Ohio permit required if pond is over 8' deep (don't answer that) and insurance req'd if the side could wash out and harm property other than your own.

So, your 7 1/2 foot deep, 15 acre pond, with spillway into your own property via a pre-existing ravine is perfectly legal.

Talk about a banging place to shoot some ducks!

As far as the walnuts, I'd get rid of 'em regardless around a pond, but thats just me.
If you really think a few nuts falling into a million gallons of water will kill your fish........
The normal leaf drop from all trees decomposing in the water robs fish of dissolved O2.
Every pond accumulates leaves, and the fish keep swimming.

Stock it and invite me up to fish!!!!!
-Ralph

Yeah right Trig. If you really think you own your land, try not paying the yearly, and BTW, unconstitutional, taxes on it. You'll find out real quick who owns it.
-Ralph

People have gone to Federal prison for building ponds on their own property. The magic word is, "wetlands".

Look up the legal (Federal) definition some time. It's so broad that your driveway drainage may qualify. It all depends on the local officaldom, and how leftist green they are.

The definition of wetland is changing via Congress. I'm pretty "green", but Mark's right that some feds were not using this law/EPA rule very carefully.

What about juglone and fish?

More like some were using it dictatorily! But I'm glad to hear Congress is addressing it. It was WAAAAAAY too broad!

What new pond? That things been there for years!!!

Well maybe the deed to the property would say it wasn't there.

Anyway...plausible deniability. Keep that in mind.

That pond was here when my gran-daddy bought this land. Wink Wink!!

helpmytrees said:
What new pond? That things been there for years!!!

Well maybe the deed to the property would say it wasn't there.

Anyway...plausible deniability. Keep that in mind.

That pond was here when my gran-daddy bought this land. Wink Wink!!

I'd check and see if there are any satellite photo's in existence prior to making any claims of the ponds age ;)

That pond was created when you put the embankment in for a driveway wasnt it? The water just started pooling there and you were just cleaning it out so it would drain properly and wouldnt lay stagnent!!! That would be promoting West Nile or something, you are looking out for everyone in your county!! I tell ya there should be more good samaratins like you. Good Luck!!

Some folks obviously have no clue about the state of environmental laws in this country today.

Let me give you a hint: Good intentions - even if you really do have good intentions - will not keep your butt out of jail.

Obviously phoney "good intentions" have the potential for adding perjury charges to the mix, if you are so foolish as to push it that far.

This isn't playing with a speeding ticket, folks. It's not an "aw, shucks, you caught me - :laugh: ".

If he's in violation, he's playing with FEDERAL PRISON TIME.

Some of the advice given here is equivalent to telling someone that it's okay to leave the scene of a fatal accident, and if they catch you, just say you didn't mean it.

:rolleyes:

BlueRidgeMark said:
Some folks obviously have no clue about the state of environmental laws in this country today.

Let me give you a hint: Good intentions - even if you really do have good intentions - will not keep your butt out of jail.

Obviously phoney "good intentions" have the potential for adding perjury charges to the mix, if you are so foolish as to push it that far.

This isn't playing with a speeding ticket, folks. It's not an "aw, shucks, you caught me - :laugh: ".

If he's in violation, he's playing with FEDERAL PRISON TIME.

Some of the advice given here is equivalent to telling someone that it's okay to leave the scene of a fatal accident, and if they catch you, just say you didn't mean it.

:rolleyes:

Yah got that right. Back in '87 I was offered a chance to clearcut a patch of wood (willow-not bad firewood as long as it is free) about 10 acres in size. Was 3 years into the project and a good 3 acres cleared when the landowner used one winter to cut and windrow the remainder. EPA caught us that spring. Seems it was a bit dampish on the end I started on. They claimed wetlands. I managed to avoid problems but the landowner is still suffering the consequences and yes, the windrows of logs and the stumps are still there. He isn't allowed to even burn the stuff. How did they even find out? That place was 5 miles back on a dirt road that no-one but the farmers and hunters travel. I suspect it was some hunter that ?????ed us.

Altering a stream flow (dam qualifies for that) can get you deep in the doo doo faster than you can blink.

Harry K

Latest posts

Back