Wanted, Aspen Trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaytee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted this over in the nursery section a few months ago and had no luck so I thought I'd try here. I'm looking to buy some aspen trees in the 3 to 4 foot range. We live in SW Missouri and according to the zone maps we should be okay. Anybody know where I can find some. None of the nurserys around here have them. Maybe they're trying to tell me something! Thanks

Aspen

I wouldn't recomend Aspen for landscaping even here in Colorado. Quite prone to problems outside of their natural range.

If I remember correctly, doesn't the aspen tree have the largest natural distribution area of any other tree in North America? I am not aware of the problems, but I'll take my chances, I just want to buy and plant some aspen trees on our farm. Surely someone out there can tell me where I can purchase these trees.:)

I posted this over in the nursery section a few months ago and had no luck so I thought I'd try here. I'm looking to buy some aspen trees in the 3 to 4 foot range. We live in SW Missouri and according to the zone maps we should be okay. Anybody know where I can find some. None of the nurserys around here have them. Maybe they're trying to tell me something! Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------

If my long term memory serves me correctly Aspens only do well at elevations around 8,000 ft. and SW Missouri probably doesn't qualify. Try a Google search for more detailed info.

Aspen grows almost everywhere. There are several varieties, big tooth or quaking is the most common here in Mass, well below 8000 feet. I think they are weak, messy, short lived trees. Fall foliage is a weak bland yellow on ours.

Aspens are great trees for wildlife

Specially partridges. Get a female tree and they have larger buds that partridges love to eat in the winter. Grow a couple acres of aspen and you have partridge habitat. Cobbler

Back