Wanted Dolmar 421 Feedback.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Send two to troll one with dolmar badges and one with husky badges. I will let you guess which one would be better:D

Heck, if we sent one to the Troll, the little sucker'd probably grow on him too. They're just that nice.

My 5100 sits around a lot. If the 420 can't handle it, the big saw might as well come out. There's less "in hands" difference between the 420 and the 5100 than there is on paper, or cutting cookies.

FWIW, mine still runs 3/8 LP, since everything bigger runs 3/8 and I've got a couple other small saws with LP - I'd rather have two sizes of chain than 3, and good non-safety LP chain is pretty good cutting stuff in it's own right. 91VXL is my chain of choice for the little fella.

I'm sure I would sort of like it, it is just that I don't really have any use for one, and the inboard clutch surely destroys the handling. Also, it weights basically the same as a 550xp....

I'm sure I would sort of like it, it is just that I don't really have any use for one, and the inboard clutch surely destroys the handling. Also, it weights basically the same as a 550xp....

The extra money in my wallet (back left pocket) counterbalances the inboard clutch quite nicely. Besides, you can't get a 550 in red with the good straight handlebar here yet, so it's a non issue.

:msp_razz:

I GUARANTEE you would love the 421. It has balance, light weight, tons of power and is smooth as all get out. With a 16" bar and .325 you'll be packing, not much will slow that combo down. The inobard clutch does NOTHING to harm the handling- If you notice, the folks who knock them on here usually havent run one. ;)

Please help me understand your thinking here on suppose to be smaller saw 421? :confused2:

Dolmar 421 42cc 10.8lbs PHO about $339 before shipping or tax.

Husky 545 50cc 10.8lbs PHO $400 out the door total price to my door.

Kevin,
I wont be paying anywhere near 330 for the 421. I also prefer the control setup over the husqvarna, not to mention the easy start system.

Kevin,
I wont be paying anywhere near 330 for the 421. I also prefer the control setup over the husqvarna, not to mention the easy start system.

I just thought guys were saying they wanted a smaller lighter saw package and I wasnt seeing it in 421. The little redmax 3800 was 9.1lbs PHO 38cc and thats what I was thinking 421 would have been till I looked it up.

Just one of those deals if I'm going to carry the weight and the same weight is in a bigger cc saw why not, no matter if it is dolmar, stihl, husky, poulan, echo, redmax, efco, etc etc. I guess if $40-$50 weighs a decision and easy start have fun. :msp_biggrin: I was just trying to figure out the weight on such a small cc saw. Thanks.

Now that is more like it. :rock:

I lucked out. There was a guy who opened a shop, became a Dolmar dealer, then realized how much work a shop was. He stocked up for the hurricane damage and we didn't get any.

He was trying to liquidate what he could and close the doors. Right down the street from THall ain't exactly the heart of Dolmar country.

i had one of these for about 6 months before a good friend bought it from me to replace his 025.
is heavier than some 40ish cc saws out there? yup, but in no way do you notice it while holding one. very well balanced little saw. also has THE best anti-vibe out there, and i think a little extra weight helps that along a bit. hardly uses fuel and tuned properly, bone stock will put a whooping on most 50cc saws out there. would i take a 440 or 445 over one? nope not for a second. they are good saws and all, but they don't pull a chain like the 420/421 does. and although the anti-vibe is ok on the little husky's, it isn't as good as the little dolmar.
people need to look at the whole picture instead of only focusing on the weight numbers on paper.

I was at a motocross shop one day. There was a guy there who hand built custom ATV frames. A few guys were picking his brain on various points of his frames. Eventually a guy asked if the custom frames were lighter than a stock frame.

The frame builder poked two fingers into the guys belly and said, " Weight savings starts at the refrigerator."

Words to live by.

I was at a motocross shop one day. There was a guy there who hand built custom ATV frames. A few guys were picking his brain on various points of his frames. Eventually a guy asked if the custom frames were lighter than a stock frame.

The frame builder poked two fingers into the guys belly and said, " Weight savings starts at the refrigerator."

Words to live by.

Not sure I will get this right as my memory is starting to fade. But I remember for every 100lbs you could shed on a street bracket racing car was good for a 1/10th quicker.

The 421 and a 6400 would be the perfect 2 saw plan for 99% of the firewood cutting population of the world.............................as long as they'd never heard of Arboristsite!!!

Mike

The 421 and a 6400 would be the perfect 2 saw plan for 99% of the firewood cutting population of the world.............................as long as they'd never heard of Arboristsite!!!

Mike

Wait till they finally come out with the 6100. That will then be the perfect plan.

Mike

Funny isn't it, how being on this site makes a good many of us go borderline retarded. :msp_smile: Not that it's all that bad...

Last edited:
The extra money in my wallet (back left pocket) counterbalances the inboard clutch quite nicely. Besides, you can't get a 550 in red with the good straight handlebar here yet, so it's a non issue.

:msp_razz:

You can here, and I don't think it is too long before they enter the US - the boat may even be on the water? :D

Latest posts

Back