Wanted: Ms310 Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey. This is my first post on this site so please do not flame me. I tried to post this in the trader area, but didn't see a "new thread" button.

I just bought a MS310 that spun the crank bearings and scored the piston. I have a new crank, bearings, and rod. I'm needing the piston to complete the saw. Anyone with a good used one? I would really appreciate this. Thanks

I just started cutting wood. I was tired of paying high propane bills and installed an old wood furnace in my basement. It is like a longwood but better.

I think he's after a good USED one. Not an after market.

Yes. Trying to just find a good used one to make this saw run good on a low budget. Things are tight right now and I really don't wanna get a new one from Stihl. I'm sure they're $100+ for a new piston. I picked the saw up for only $100. And I just bought a used crank and rod assm for $30. I just need the piston and take the cylinder in my shop to hone it a bit. It's still in really good shape.

The saw was used for less than 3 months and the bearing shelled out. Stihl wouldn't warranty it. On a THREE month old saw!!!! I thought Stihl was suppose to be the "best". I just talked to a good chainsaw shop from here and he said Dolmar and Jonsereds were top line. I'm still green, yupppp...

I have a MS290 and a 192T right now.

If Stihl wouldn't warranty it it was because the dealer didn't ask, or didn't think it was justified.... They almost never refuse a dealer request.

Easiest solution - put a used MS290 P&C on it.

New 310 piston: $94.40

If Stihl wouldn't warranty it it was because the dealer didn't ask, or didn't think it was justified.... They almost never refuse a dealer request.

Easiest solution - put a used MS290 P&C on it.

New 310 piston: $94.40

P&C < ???? What's that?

The cheap, easy option: should have put an entire MS290 "long block" in... around $150 or so on ebay for a new take-off.

Well... After a complete tear down and assessment of the saw, it needed new crank bearings which was what blew apart first. Then the piston gulled up the cylinder.

I bought a good used crank, bearings, and rod off ebay for about $30 to my door step. I used the muratic acid trick on the cylinder and wet dry sand paper to remove the aluminum. The bottom portion of the cylinder was scored a bit but the top was fine. I buffed the piston up with some sand paper and wd40. Ran the entire saw through the dish washer this am and while it was washing I ran to Javelin's shop and he had a set of rings that would work.

I assembled the saw today and it works. Runs pretty good so far. I just need to do some clutch work as the chain still runs at low idle. Otherwise, I hope to go cut with it on sunday. Should be fun..

Thanks Javelin...:clap:

Back