Warning: dragonfly and butterfly harnesses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Asa

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The komet dragonfly and butterfly harnesses do both have a "new re-designed replacable front strap". That strap is fixed to the harness with a bolt on each side.

Yesterday when my boyfriend, who is also a climber, got down for lunch, he noticed that one of the bolt where loose. He gave it half a turn and the bolt fell out!! :angry: The harness is two months old and has been according to regulations.

What if that had happened in the tree instead? The result could no doubt be deadly.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing with those harnesses or any other? Its ????e they're allowed to sell that, and strange that those harnesses has such a good rep. Was this a one off or not (even that's one too many!)

check yo facts sista!

and do a pre climb inspection, and invest in some Locktite (the blue kind)

Someone else had a similar thing happen, I don't know if it was posted here or on ******** but I read the pins on the shackle had started to come undone.
Pre climb check is paramount.
Nice to see you back Asa!

and do a pre climb inspection, and invest in some Locktite (the blue kind)

Red locktite is stornger blue is meant to be removed red requires heat to be removed. Just what the locktite rep told us when I was a mechanic. Take it for what it is worth.
Jared

getting off topic

I think the discussion is straying from the original problem. I don't believe you should have to put lock tight on bolts that are factory set to save your life. I am not familiar with this belt ( I use a Buckingham) but anyone who does and the manufacturer should be aware of this potential hazard. did you contact the manufacturer and if so what was there response?

Point Well Taken!!!

I think the discussion is straying from the original problem. I don't believe you should have to put lock tight on bolts that are factory set to save your life. I am not familiar with this belt ( I use a Buckingham) but anyone who does and the manufacturer should be aware of this potential hazard. did you contact the manufacturer and if so what was there response?

I believe that Komet ( the manufacturer of the Butterfly ) recommends Loctite. I use the Red because I know that it holds!!!

These shackles are not set, so to speak, they are meant to be removed in the event that the user want to change a worn bridge or change the length of the bridge!

This is getting off topic. Bottom line I fel were going to find out is the man took this bridge apart, didnt read the caution that came with the saddle, and put it back together with no loctite!

Treeco and Rah

Why pick a fight with him? He had a valid point, it wasnt the most eloquent post but he was right. If you are going to write checks with your mouth make sure you bum has the funds to cash them. Dont allude to things your not prepared to be called on and asked to prove.

Donny is a VERY intelligent man and I dont think anyone here knows the respect we ought to show him for he is an extremely well respected man in the state of MA as far as Arborists go.

Stop the BS and lets get to the bottom of why the Komet products are "falling apart"

Good point...........but he could learn some "eloquence"!

No one has established anything as far as I can tell...........so the comment that Komet saddles are "falling apart" may be a little premature!

I put it in quotes becasue I dont think they are fallingappart I think there is more to the story. But the original poster made it seem like this is a junk saddle and it just all of a sudden came apart. I climb on a BFII and have never had a problem.

OK guys, I am closing this thread.

attn anyone using the butterfly or dragonfly saddle, before climbing tomorrow morning, check over your saddle(s). make sure nothing is loose or can work loose.
above all, stay safe
-Ralph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back