Was the 009 ever a good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John in MA

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Just something I've been curious about. Everyone hears about how the 009 is too heavy, too slow, underpowered, and overpriced. Was this always the case, or was it competitive back when it was introduced?

I know I have some saws that were cutting edge when they were new, but you wouldn't be able to give away as a current model.

rupedoggy

rupedoggy

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Don't you mean the 090? The 009 is a little tree trimer saw. It isn't heavy at all. The 090 is big and heavy. When the 090 is properly built, and the air vane governor is bypassed, it is an awesome saw for power. It can hold its own against modern saws. Mike

Treeman14

Treeman14

Addicted to ArboristSite
I keep two 009's in my truck. Its been my only climbing saw for the last year or two. I don't have any problems with it. I don't like the feel of those top-handled saws. Just too awkward for me. Not enough power, you say? How much power do you need for pruning? If I'm doing a removal or cutting larger limbs, I switch to the 026 when the 009 bogs down.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
I like my little reed valve 009. I bought one used on E-bay and then sold my 017. True, the 009 is primative (solid mount handles). I know a bucket worker who uses one after he threw his 335 out of tree, the 335 didn't fall, HE THREW IT!

stihltech

stihltech

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member

Ah yes the much maligned 009. The guys telling you it is junk either had an early one or just don't appreciate our first consumer saw. Started in 1981, still going today. I use mine to do all the top until I get to the trunk. Early versions had carb and vent problems (all orange). Later version is all white. Problems seem solved. More Stihl junk that refuses to die. It keeps going and going and going....................

Toneman

Toneman

Makin Chips
No one has ever had a valid reason for calling this saw "junk" although I have seen called that in many posts on this and other forums.
I have had one for the past 3 years and use it for limbing and climbing,and to this day(touch wood) have not had any problems with this saw.
Local Stihl dealer is also a rental shop, and he has 2 of the 009's in his fleet,and says he has not had any mechanical problems with the saw, other than those inflicted by inexperience or negligent operators.

John in MA

John in MA

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the info. I'd like mention that I have no idea what I'm talking about. :) Never owned or used an 009, just heard a lot.

Mr. postman should be bringing me an 011AVQ, so I'll be in that family soon.

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
I got some free firewood today, an 8' long 22" round oak log. The only saw I had on hand was my 009 with a 12" bar and pico micro narrow (.043) chain. The guy who gave me the log watched in awe as the little 009 bucked that oak. If it's a girl saw then slap my butt and call me Sally!

Tony Snyder

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite

My opinion; they were better than the McCulloch, Poulan and Homelite competition, but not better than the Echos.

I've got one now to work on. All the rubber stuff needs replaced, fuel filter, carb rebuild; throttle linkage is not working properly. They are kind of troublesome to work on. However, they usually don't wear out internally. They usually die of some combination of more minor problems.

I would much rather have an Echo.

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

WOLF_RIVER_MIKE

ArboristSite Guru
really impressive sedanman, sounds like your saw done good too. No kidding, I'm asuming 22" diameter? Ya'll bucked that , with that? 18" bucks? Is your saw still alive? Jeez, you need to call somebody. :blob2:

sedanman

sedanman

Just cut the piano!!
16" bucks for a Vermont castings wood stove. The big end was pushing the 24" range, the very largest buck was held to the next by a strand about 3/8" that the 12" bar could not reach so I had to break the two apart with a wedge. The saw is one I got off E-bay used and is still running great. I DID stretch the .043 chain a bit on this task but it's a fairly new chain so some stretch is to be expected. I wish I had a digital camera to shoot the work this little saw did. True my 064 would have made mince-meat out of the log but I only had the 009 on hand, it's to the point now that I can't go ANYWHERE without a chainsaw!

Lawrence Martin

Lawrence Martin

ArboristSite Lurker
most saw will cut through any thing , the point being the time and effort needed to the the job is too much.

Why push a little saw like that through that, thats a lot of wear and tear on your body arms etc.. Not to mention the saw, if you are doing this for a living spend the extra money. and buy a better saw ( echo, still 020, husky 335.......) .

Can you emagine taking down a red oak trying to make a spear cut with that saw the fustration alone would drive you crazy.

Ever saw has its place Ijust don't think 09 should be in the tool box of a professional Arborist.

Its a consummer saw for "back yard bob "
Well it's only a opion and it's mine.

Lawrence Martineau

HUSKYMAN

HUSKYMAN

Addicted to ArboristSite
009 I had was worthless. It basically ran out of power on anything that was more than 2-3". And dont bother trying to work on one because you are wasting your time. My Homelite XL2's will run circles all over them. Its lighter, more powerful, starts easier, and can be fixed if something breaks.
The 009 is way overpriced at $239 just because it has Stihl on the side. It should be $139 at the most. :angry:

Latest posts