washing machines and chainsaws dont mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodcutter69

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just a warning, I was sharpening my chain while on the washing machine and the wife caught me, that was a big no no. She let me have it, I think I will be sleeping with my wood tonite. I thought it was a good idea since all my work benches are full of other stuff, and that is where my wood heat comes into the house, and just lit the furnace for the season. I guess I will be smelling oak and walnut while sleeping, but I guess that is a good trade off, I get my chain sharpend, and get to sleep with the wood, life cant get any better than that.

They get touchy about the funniest things I had a mini wodshop going one winter in our kitchen while I was building a guitar it was ok til I did some sanding and in my concentration didn't think about all the stuff sitting out my wife was not thrilled but hey thats what memories are made of we got past it and the shop also got moved into the garage!! HA Sleep tight

Did you tell her you were in there doing laundry? In my experience that's when they get suspicious and check up on you. :)

just a warning, I was sharpening my chain while on the washing machine and the wife caught me, that was a big no no. She let me have it, I think I will be sleeping with my wood tonite. I thought it was a good idea since all my work benches are full of other stuff, and that is where my wood heat comes into the house, and just lit the furnace for the season. I guess I will be smelling oak and walnut while sleeping, but I guess that is a good trade off, I get my chain sharpend, and get to sleep with the wood, life cant get any better than that.

:hmm3grin2orange: Someone started a "saw parts in the dishwasher" thread a while back. None of the single guys could see any problem with it. You married guys, I feel bad for you. Not really bad, just a little bit.

:hmm3grin2orange: I was thinking we might get some new stories out of this one.

Last edited:
I put saw parts in my dishwasher, have a weight bench in my kitchen and regularly use the washing machine and dryer as a work surface. I have a Mac 1-42 sitting on my weight bench now.

Lemme just give one huge piece of advise....believe TV and the movies!!!!!

I once put some car parts in the dishwasher and realized I was out of dish detergent. So I grabbed some laundry detergent and put in only a third of the usual dish amount, because of course I've seen the Brady Bunch and other shows where the dishwasher overflows into a comical volcano of suds....
ummmm.....
It's true!
Entire kitchen covered in suds!!!!
Thankfully it was before I was married!!!
Seriously, it's no joke.... small amount of laundry detergent outside of the laundry makes for either a huge headache or a huge party depending on....ahem.

Last winter I did a thorough teardown, cleaning, rebuild of 4 saws in the laundry room, and had newspaper under them to act as a diaper, bar oil leaked out of one from somewhere. The enamel finish on top of the dryer was the perfect place for the saws to sit during the process.
As long as there was enough room to change the kids diapers on the counter, no complaints, but then, the laundry and kids are my job anyway.

The year before that, did all my saws in the kitchen, because it was cold out, and that spray nozzle on the sink is just too handy with hot water as a rinse after using the purple cleaner.
Had everything cleaned up before she got home, even used PineSol to clean the counter and clear out the saw odors. No complaints.

I did do a breakdown of something in the living room once, that got a frown.

I dont know about the washing machine and chainsaw bit, never tried that one, but my wife has one big gripe about woodcutting.All the wood chips that come into the house.
Seems that somewhere along the lines, my pants legs get pulled up over my boots by brush and sawchips get into my boots. I usually take my boots off at the door, but sometimes they end up being pullled off in the bedroom before heading to the shower, and the carpet gets treated to a healthy dose of chips.Seems that before I find the vacum the wife will find the pile and let me have it.
Then of course are the socks impregnated with chips that I forget to shake off.I turn my socks inside out when i take them off(and old habit learned in the Navy) and she discovers the chips when folding laundry.After washing and drying she will pull them right side out and gets showered with chips.:(

Well of course you caught H***. The proper place for sharping saws is the dining room table.

Harry K

Don't take up trapping. It tends to get a little icky once it gets to cold to work in the fur shead. I know all about the work tables being clogged. I worked overtime all summer and mine look like someones yardsale right now. I will need a weeks vacation to get it sorted out.

Back when I was single one of my friends had a engine block and some cylinder heads sitting in his bathtub, nice parts washer. lol I don't think the landlord would have been to happy.

Sounds like I have an understanding wife, she lets me put saw plastic in the dishwasher no problem, sharpening chains on the table might raise an eyebrow but I have stripped guns down there and she never said anything.

Reminds me of the time I placed a buck deer on newspapers in the living room with the AC on since I couldn't butcher him till I got off work, and of course I needed to keep him as cool and refreshed as possible. Now if I'd have had a nice vaulted ceiling with exposed beams I could have hung him properly in a vertical fashion.

When the mosquitoes are bad I often clean fish on the kitchen table. The wife is not to happy on that one.

Sounds like I have an understanding wife, she lets me put saw plastic in the dishwasher no problem, sharpening chains on the table might raise an eyebrow but I have stripped guns down there and she never said anything.

As long as she is the only one bluing your barrel....all will be fine.

I am either a very lucky guy, and/or I have done a hell of a job training my woman.:greenchainsaw: She rarely says a word to me when I clean my guns on the coffee table or quarter a deer on a big piece of plywood laid across my kitchen counters.... you guys need to train your women...:dizzy:

My wife will cook and eat wild game and fish so long as she never sees it dead. She saw a deer once in the back of the truck and took me forever to get her to cook and eat it. So now the fish and animals get done in the polebarn but anything else is good to go.

Latest posts

Back