Watch this video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's how I climbed line structures too. Freeclimb and clip in when you want a break. Like they said its efficient and I still think it's a tool that all tree climbers should posses and not be taught to fear.

They say there is no fast way down, how about a parachute.

Thats nuts, I did comm tower work for 1 winter. Up to 400ft, never anything like that... and definatly NEVER freeclimbed. The view looking down from the top almost made my stomach turn... I'm happy in my trees.
:chainsawguy:

Well once you go 30ft and fall your dead ya my as well go the other 1700 ft and have some fun , its along way to change a light bulb ...

That's how I climbed line structures too. Freeclimb and clip in when you want a break. Like they said its efficient and I still think it's a tool that all tree climbers should posses and not be taught to fear.

They say there is no fast way down, how about a parachute.

When I was being taught to climb I was taught to free climb up to the TIP. Back then, any service you worked for would have laughed you out of the tree if you started using alternating lanyards and whatnot to bypass limbs. At least that was my experience. Had a friend fall 10' from a large spar back in the early 90's. He fell on a small stump and fractured his spine. Paralyzed at 22.

I like to set a line in most trees I climb these days. I do mostly hardwoods though. On pines I would usually just climb, limb, top and chunk or drop. I teach anyone who works for me to remain tied in while climbing. Not the way that I was taught but I don't want to see another 22 year old paralyzed. I don't care if it takes a few minutes longer to reach the TIP.

Well once you go 30ft and fall your dead ya my as well go the other 1700 ft and have some fun , its along way to change a light bulb ...

yeah but at 1700ft you have a lot more time to think on the way down......

Yeah that video gave me sweaty palms. I would do it but not without a parachute. Free climbing, wow.

yeah but at 1700ft you have a lot more time to think on the way down......

Yeah that video gave me sweaty palms. I would do it but not without a parachute. Free climbing, wow.

You could eat a bagged lunch on the way down , but I doubt that you would hit the ground in one piece cause the tower gets wider and you would probably get hung up in the webbing ...maybe not..

It seems it would be quite easy to install a safety device that wouldn't slow down climbing. Putting something like this next to the ladder to snap into wouldn't hinder you at all and offer a stopping point if you messed up. Seems the climber would be able to move faster with less stress and easily up production. Just a thought.

attachment.php

Thought i've seen where they have a cable just running up the side of the ladder that the climber attaches a cable grab to and just slides it up as he's climbing.

That's what I was thinking. A self line would be perfect for that application. I've seen them rigged beside ladders in caves before.

I would do it but it would be big bucks. I would not wear gloves though and if there was lightning anywhere near the county, heck no. The second climber clipped in swifter, at least he was smart!

I find it funny how OSHA requires you to be tied off if your head goes above 6 feet, I believe, after leaving the ground. If you are on a ladder though you are not required to tie off. Are these towers just tall ladders?

that tie off system looks really shakey that big snap he is using could possibly just slide right off the end of one of those ladder rungs. wich some are just bolts. i could climb it but i would deffinetly feel alot better about working if i had a better tie of system. i would atleast wrap it around the center post and over a rung that way it cant slide off if you slipped.

Latest posts

Back