Water Oak not looking good..any ideas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earthandarbor

Reaction score
Leaves went from a healthy green to brown and scorched in about 2 weeks. There is no Oak Wilt in Oklahoma City area and see no signs external signs or bark sloughing off to indicate Hypoxylon Canker. I thought maybe bacterial leaf scorch, which has been known to be around, but there are new buds all over the tree? I would think there would be no new buds if this was the case. I do know another arborist supposedly told the owner that it had Iron Chlorosis and gave it iron shots. I see no signs of chlorosis, the owners said the leaves were not yellow and no other trees in yard are yellow, the PH is only 7.5, only slightly alkaline. Could it be burning from iron toxicity? 95% of the tree has lost all color in the leaves, I'll attach some pictures of the color left in the few leaves. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

View attachment 251972View attachment 251973View attachment 251974View attachment 251975View attachment 251976

I would have serious red flags up if a healthy green Oak was toast in only two weeks.

Start looking for tree care malpractice, nefarious neighbors or vandals.

Noticed the vines in the trees, anyone apply any herbicide?

Could it be burning from iron toxicity?

Yes, it could. Leaf Scorch crossing veins is induced, not environmental. It could be BLS, but BLS historically does NOT move with THAT much speed. I suspect it was overdosed w/iron or was in stress at the time of the injection. What have been the weather conditions 60 to 90 days prior to injection?

I am sure the tree has been somewhat stressed the passed two years from heat and drought. The last two years terminal bud scars are significantly shorter then previous years. The last 60 to 90 days has been above average heat and not much rain, not as bad as last year however. I know this gentleman keeps his yard well watered, according to his wife potentially too much water. There are many vines on the tree, but they have been dead for quite some time, just never removed. Just makes me wonder about the iron toxicity, knowing how hot is has been, and the tree was always a nice green supposedly.

Coincidence of correct timing for BLS? Dunno, but worth having pathology define.

Star death and fusion ash... The visual dichotomous assessment keys are nonsense and based on myth. (Coder) Deficiency of one element causes chlorosis. Abundance of the very same element can also cause chlorosis. Fertility management will always be the bane of professional tree health care. :msp_scared:

I might have skipped ferric ammonium citrate injections and treated the causal issue. A soils potential hydrogen value can be altered in most cases. Mulch is natures slow release fertilizer.

Latest posts

Back