We all love pics, so post up your pics (saw/wood related).

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I was hoping to get a link or some info out of you. I get Log homes magazine.. but its mostly them trying to sell stuff.

Yea, log home magazines, funded by kit home manufacturer advertising dollars. I bet you can guess what they push most for their articles.

I challenge you to find any article in any log home magazine, mentioning the Log Home Builders Association, an organization which has been teaching log home construction since 1965. Save ya some time, as you won't find any. Kit manufacturers hate LHBA. The forums at www.lhoti.com can confirm that.

Last edited:
Here are a two pics from a wood cutting day we had for a 87 year old friend of ours. I am glad a had camera even if it was a cheap disposable.

I've posted this one before,but I'll throw it up again just to contribute...
010_10-5.jpg

cherrybark is one of the faster growing southern red oak species, here in southern IL i am in the northern range of the tree, i absolutely love cutting them and so does the saw....can all out lay into them...wood looks alot like what u cut there, sapwood is almost identical...either way that is a nice looking tree

cherrybark is one of the faster growing southern red oak species, here in southern IL i am in the northern range of the tree, i absolutely love cutting them and so does the saw....can all out lay into them...wood looks alot like what u cut there, sapwood is almost identical...either way that is a nice looking tree

There was almost 2000bd.ft. of wood in that log...It brought quite a peice of change...That's why I like em'.

that is always a good enough reason too...they are prolly my favorite tree to cut, well maybe a poplar......ahhh h*ll i just like cutting trees

To me, a mature Red Oak always smells like puke when you cut them. I like cutting Poplar too, but the hingewood is near worthless.

i know when it comes to poplar it sure does respond to wedging/pushing with a skidder very well. is u leave a solid hinge all the way across the notch it will almost always pull fibers out of the heartwood...just the nature of the wood. i always thought the hinge worked pretty good. it is prolly one of the easiest trees to not split...unlike that darn hickory---i hate that stuff!!!

i know when it comes to poplar it sure does respond to wedging/pushing with a skidder very well. is u leave a solid hinge all the way across the notch it will almost always pull fibers out of the heartwood...just the nature of the wood. i always thought the hinge worked pretty good. it is prolly one of the easiest trees to not split...unlike that darn hickory---i hate that stuff!!!

Poplar is fun and fast cutting, smells good too. It is about the only eastern tree that I have ever cut that busts when it hits the ground though.
With hickory a very small, fine hinge will hold a lot. Combined with a open face and a sipe it will greatly reduce the splitting. The bark is hard on chains.
The stink in red oak is bacteria. I have cut a few nice size ones that smelled good, almost like a cinnomon smell.

busts when it hits the ground??? if anything i think there is a less chance of it busting when it hits the ground. a white or red oak will bust first. u can almost abuse a poplar and not bust it. atleast around here

what are u calling a sipe?

busts when it hits the ground??? if anything i think there is a less chance of it busting when it hits the ground. a white or red oak will bust first. u can almost abuse a poplar and not bust it. atleast around here

what are u calling a sipe?

Sorry for not responding sooner, I did not see your post.
Big yellow poplar is the hard wood most likely to break, in my experience. When it does it rails pretty bad, making a good peeler log into pulpwood is not a good thing.
I call a third cut between the hinge and the outside off the stump, that opens the face more, a sipe. If it is on the stump, it moves the tree forward as the face closes and tends to shear the fibers.

Maybe kinda late, but I agree that the hingewood works well, but only for a few degrees. My opinion was based on working in the tree and trying to control the blocks and branches as you part the tree out. Great stuff to saw though, mega super ultra chips...:D

Latest posts

Back