Wear your chaps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with the boss saying, "You aren't ready for this job yet." And back to the brush he was sent.

:)

I've never cut my chaps.

I have cut my jeans twice, both in the same spot right under the knee...each time grabbing only fabric by some amazing luck. I've been MUCH more aware of what I'm doing since the second time I did it and realized it had to be something I was doing and not just an accident.

I wear chaps now for everything except if I have just a few simple, straight forward cuts to make on good ground. Soon as anything gets the least bit squirrely, I'll put them on.

I have never owned a pair of chaps, stupid I know but this thread sent me a message. I ordered a set today, I have learned the hard way what happens when you ignore the messages that are sent to you.

2 yrs back, nearing the end of an intense day clearing tornado debris, we were working on a large tangle of stems nearby above. I was cutting while others were rotating through the area pulling freed sticks down and out. Lots of foot traffic.

After one cut, to clear fellows, I rotated the bar to the left away from them, with chain still spinning. Cut a good vent in some new jeans and cut a tiny gash in my upper leg. Blind luck saved a hospital visit.

Lessons learned:
1. Use the chain brake a/r.
2. Enforce distance around sawyer; have others respect chainsaws.
3. Get chaps; use same. Expect the unexpected.
4. Always have room for evasive maneuvers. Lots of room.

Good reminder. I have been slipping lately. Lots of tramping around in brush on muddy hills, and the chaps are a PITA for one or two bucking cuts, then tractor work.

I'll toss 'em in the cab in the morning.

I got hold of 2 second hand pairs that were being thrown by foolish wasteful. Had them neat tidy well stitched up by littleoldlady for a quit pro quo tree job as they only had surface cotton tears and exhaust burns no issue with the protective layer good as gold

I wear mine when using the Fiskars also...

8620335034_5288a84d8f_c.jpg

Glad I wasn't eating breakfast when I saw that picture. Nice detailed photography.
Save the old chaps for splitting wood and moving log piles around , saves wear and tear on the jeans.

I snagged a hole in my chaps last year its easy to do when your tired after a day of cutting you get lazy and haphazardly swing the saw around . My friends say they are a waste of money too bulky and hot to wear they'd rather wear Levi's instead .listen closely. :theres a femoral major artery in your leg that supplies alot of blood through your body .if its cut into you got like 5 minutes to stop the bleeding before you ultimately bleed to death . Add in that the Average ambulance takes over 10 minutes to arrive . It's not worth the risk . An economy pair can be bought for 45-50 bucks so f you don't own a pair of chaps you better think about getting them !!No piece of firewood is worth dying for guys. The graveyards are full of tough guys who said. " it won't happen to me. "

Last edited:
Remember to tighten up the chain too. Sounds like some of them might be still spinning while the saw is not being throttled. I got lazy a few times and said I'll tighten it up once I'm done with this tree or this branch or whatever. After 2 times of the chain coming off and hitting me int the jewel bag I'll come back to the cut.

Good reminders. I'll put in another plug for hearing protection. So many of us don't realize the damage we do to our hearing because it happens so gradually. Through a virus that attacked my ear nerve, I suddenly lost the hearing in one ear 6 years ago, and discovered I was chipping away at the other one by not using any ear protection. Now I use it ALL the time. I only have one ear left, and I like listening.

I always wear eye and ear protection even when mowing the lawn,

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

You are born with 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 legs, & 2 arms! Hopefully they all work the way they are supposed to. Respect what you have & try to keep all of it intact until the end. PPE is worth every cent, worth every second to put them on, and worth much more than the macho attitude that keeps us from wearing them. I'd rather be a sissy with all my parts, than a tough guy missing some stuff. Accidents happen quicker then you can imagine. No turning the clock back a few seconds once it happens, then a lifetime (if you are lucky enough) of regrets & what-ifs. Stay safe & be smart. And when you are done…have a beer!

I have cut my jeans twice, both in the same spot right under the knee...

I've got the scars on both knees, and I've ruined a few pairs of jeans.
The last time was on my upper left thigh... the chain hooked the steel reinforced leather money clip I carry in my left front pocket and stopped it cold without touching skin.
I still don't own chaps, and have no intention of getting any... but I'd never, ever slam anyone for wearing them or any other PPE.

You are born with 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 legs, & 2 arms! Hopefully they all work the way they are supposed to. Respect what you have & try to keep all of it intact until the end. PPE is worth every cent, worth every second to put them on, and worth much more than the macho attitude that keeps us from wearing them. I'd rather be a sissy with all my parts, than a tough guy missing some stuff. Accidents happen quicker then you can imagine. No turning the clock back a few seconds once it happens, then a lifetime (if you are lucky enough) of regrets & what-ifs. Stay safe & be smart. And when you are done…have a beer!

I went decades with nuthin other than some cheapo earplugs, but now have the full set (got my stolen chainsaw boots replacement on order). My boss razzed me one day said I was a walking OSHA advertisement, I said yep! You look at some of the pics guys have posted..I wear the gear now, cutting pants, helmet, boots. I actually feel weird if I don't have the gear on. Puts me into at least serious amateur cutting mindset status.

I know the best safety is just watch the bar tip and other normal safety things, but it doesn't hurt any whatsoever to do both, wear the gear and cut safe.

Latest posts

Back