Weekend report 4/4 - 4/6/2008

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Four Paws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What did you guys get accomplished this weekend?

I tried my hand at welding Magnesium.

I had this cracked side cover that needed to be repaired.

attachment.php

Picked up some MAG rod from the local welding store.

attachment.php

Magnesium is similar to Aluminum, you can't ever seem to get it clean enough prior to welding. I used my TIG machine set at 75 amps with a pulse frequency around 8 Hz. I bevelled the crack with my dremel, preheated the casting in the oven, and welded from the center out to the edges of the crack. Good penetration looking at it on the backside, although there is a little porousity evident after I ground it flush. I attribute this to the fact that the casting soaked up bar oil and other contaminants which were being driven out by the heat and cleaning action of the AC. Overall, it turned out just fine - it is a chainsaw after all.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gave it 2 coats of paint and cooked it in front of my wood stove - still snowing here; about an inch today. Put it back together - now it's ready to go.

attachment.php

Last edited:
What did you guys get accomplished this weekend?

Great work!! I just tried reducing the rust problem on my and my girlfriends car. First time! Worked quite well.

Not as cool as your work though.

7sleeper

Nice work, welding is one skill I have never attempted and am jealous of those that can. ; Someday I will give it a shot.

Nice repair Four Paws, was that clutch cover off the 981?

I spent the weekend working on my backhoe, knocking out and replacing bushings, pins, etc. Spring maintenance long overdue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, they are 12'. I almost went 14', but it would have been a much bigger hassle, plus you need an engineer to stamp your barn plans with 14' walls:dizzy:

The backhoe just has to be lowered about 6 inches to get through the door, and my dump truck is only a 5 yarder and fits in great.

Never seen a crack there, did you drop the saw or have a log land on it?

Never seen a crack there, did you drop the saw or have a log land on it?

Came that way from the previous owner...maybe it got pinched, dropped, bumped...people do all sorts of things. Welding proved much cheaper than a replacement cover.

Nice work 4-paws... a good TIG is on my list... Nearly bought a Miller 250 this weekend but got busy...

I brought in 20 yards of soil, 12 yards of cedar bark and landscaped (added drains also) my neighbors bank. Bobcat skidsteer helped, but a lot of raking and humping... 1.5 inches of rain didn't help... my body hurts.

My neighbor was away at Disneyland - a short break from 2 (and debilitating) 12 week treatments of chemotherapy and radiation. I figure they will be suprised as all heck when they drive into their property this evening.. ;) They know I was putting in some soil, but..

A freebie to the best of neighbors... Pay it forward...

attachment.php

Yes, the Mallard drake is real...

Busy weekend
Saturday - 8 hours in a ready mix truck then drank beer the rest of thr day
Sunday-cut ,fit,hammered 10 sheets of plywood in the garage and stapled 4 rolls of insulation. Took the corvette out for the fisrt time in 5 months(long winter. cleaned up, pick up, Now watching ax men :)

Nice job lake, looks a lot like what I did this weekend...too bad I'm not done yet. Oh, thats what the rest of the week is for I guess.

Nice work 4-paws... a good TIG is on my list... Nearly bought a Miller 250 this weekend but got busy...

I brought in 20 yards of soil, 12 yards of cedar bark and landscaped (added drains also) my neighbors bank. Bobcat skidsteer helped, but a lot of raking and humping... 1.5 inches of rain didn't help... my body hurts.

My neighbor was away at Disneyland - a short break from 2 (and debilitating) 12 week treatments of chemotherapy and radiation. I figure they will be suprised as all heck when they drive into their property this evening.. ;) They know I was putting in some soil, but..

attachment.php

Nice!!!:greenchainsaw:
And nice of you!!!

cut timber in the mud and muck yesterday and today...had an alright weekend...prolly got somewhere between 40-50,000 bdft down....a 20,000ish bdft average per day aint too bad in these parts

wish i would have gotten pictures of it..but they were dragging logs with one of these..only it was red and white(this is not the machine that was being ran)
skidder.jpg

Last edited:

attachment.php

Nice jesture and nice work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,can I come duck hunting. I have a new shotgun.

Latest posts

Back