A saw named cooter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickhound93

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Some of you may remember one of my very first posts, chronicling the misadventures of a farmertec engine for an ms250, and all the troubles I had with it, and definitive Dave's problems with supplying these engines. After buying a fair amount of stuff from Dave, he informed me that new crank pans for these engines had been made and he asked if I would try one out and see his they worked, if they were any better or still unserviceable.
About a week ago my parts box showed up right from Ohio, and included were 2 ms250 engines and new crank pans
14515812356461650105157.jpg
As you can see the casting isn't that great, but a little work with a dremel I had it cleaned up enough to where I was confident it was serviceable. I assembled the engine with the new crank pan, and there was to play in the crankshaft as there was before.
Now that I had a runnable engine, all I needed to do was come up with a test saw. Scrounging through my tote of 1123 series saw parts, I found a broken handle assembly, a really nasty ugly recoil, an equally nasty tank, a banged up clutch cover, and assorted other bits.
Being as my little brother is home from college, I put him to work with brushes, some purple power and all my mast parts. All of these parts are either broken in some way, or were too ugly to put on saws that I sold, they were the reject parts.
After the parts were cleaned, I started assembly, robbing bolts, nuts and other hardware from all my other totes.
Being this is a Chinese engine, I saw fit to install chinas finest fuel line, pickup body, impulse line, a lazer spark plug, and a no name knockoff carb. Being that the handle assembly was cracked, I broke out the trusty soldering iron and made an attempt at welding the crack, its ugly but it works. After final assembly, I had an ugly saw that u had little faith in. But after 5 pulls... Little cooter came to life.
He still has yo prove himself, but after 5 test cuts he is still ticking, whereas the first Chinese engine I tried didn't survive long enough to even idle.
After all this, I am proud to introduce to AS, my ugly little saw that is quickly becoming my favorite. Ladies and gentleman, I introduce to you the little saw that could, Cooter
14515812356461650105157.jpg 1451581285799-1854365744.jpg 1451582136014-1462879576.jpg 14515812356461650105157.jpg 1451581285799-1854365744.jpg 1451582136014-1462879576.jpg 1451582200604486276462.jpg 1451582242404363326041.jpg
Thanks to Dave for letting me test this engine, and I am still looking for another saw to become cooters brother! I have completely exhausted my 1123 parts to bring Cooter to life.

thanks for giving it a test!!
the batch of these I had all had bad engine bases but when I let Huztl know about it they said their engineers had determined that the cylinder bolts needed to be tightened :(
Of course we know that was nonsense because Tickhound93 had already torn them down and had them machined to fix the problem.
Lo and behold after a few month Huztl got back to me to say they had a problem and were sending me new bottom plated for the engines.
So the tester engines I sent out are the old complete engine with the replacement bottom plates (engine pans? what the heck do you guys call em).
If they seem solid again I will mark the rest of my stock down to less than $1000.00 each :)

Time will tell. I'm looking for an hour meter to put on cooter and see how long he runs before (if) he experiences a failure. I may be getting ahead of myself, but if cooter can prove himself, I may tear him down and enlist the likes of randy and brad to wake him up a bit, box his powerplant up, and send it back to Ohio, only time will tell...

Now I am trying to figure out how to make it a 3/4 wrap handle. This entire saw is ridiculous to begin with, might as well keep it going

The wheels are turning (grinding?) In my head about what to do next. I have to find an inner spike from an 066 to compliment the other one, and sometime the 3/4 wrap will start getting bent. I'm reaaly digging this little feller!

In case anyone forgot, Ben "Cooter" Jones served 2 terms in Congress while living in Georgia. He lives and has a "museum" in Sperryville, VA and ran for Congress again in 2002 but was defeated by Eric Cantor.

Back