Weekend report 4/4 - 4/6/2008

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helped out at an open house saturday and sold over thirty Stihl units.

Spent all day today working in my yard and barbqueing for some family members.

So who is doing the step by step tig how to??? lol

Would love to learn, but the trusty stick and mig will have to work for me till then..

I got over my bought with Bronchitis and pneumonia. I got some packed things out to my storage unit. That was it for the whole week! seriously. This sickness put me down, hardcore.

I use a solution I got years ago at a welding supply for cleaning aluminum and magnesium prior to tig welding. It's a concentrate and is a vibrant pink color. It takes any oil off of the metal prior to welding. I have about a pint left and have checked with my local welding suppler for more and he doesn't even know what it is. The label is long gone so I don't even have a name to look for.

I tig welded an aluminum air cleaner box for a vintage NASCAR today and used this solution to clean old gas residue prior to welding. (1987 #17 Walltup Tide Car) I have also been trying TileX and it works pretty good at removing oil and greases, but you need to use warm or hot water to really remove all of the soapy film. I also use a stainless steel brush, not a steel bristle brush if I need one for stubborn dirty metals.

What did you use to clean aluminum/magnesium prior to welding?

Nice Lincoln welder by the way. I bought a Lincoln ProCut 55 Plasma cutter last year and it's a very good machine. Cuts SS like it's butter. First project was to make Dad/Mom some yard art. Lincoln makes nice stuff. I have a Airco Heliwelder tig/mig/stick machine that I have had for 25 years and it's still going strong.

jerry-

So who is doing the step by step tig how to??? lol

Would love to learn, but the trusty stick and mig will have to work for me till then..

I got over my bought with Bronchitis and pneumonia. I got some packed things out to my storage unit. That was it for the whole week! seriously. This sickness put me down, hardcore.

Take good care of that, I had it for 3 months last year and it turned into bronchial asthma for me because I had to work and kept breathing in car and truck fumes, dust, etc. Finally quit that job and I am better but still not 100%.

What did you use to clean aluminum/magnesium prior to welding?

I just use warm soapy water to remove any oil or petroleum film. Residue free solvent (carb cleaner,etc.) or isopropyl alcohol, then a stainless steel brush.

Your pink potion sounds like the golden ticket...too bad you can't remember what it is.

Lakeside53 said:
I brought in 20 yards of soil, 12 yards of cedar bark and landscaped (added drains also) my neighbors bank. Bobcat skidsteer helped, but a lot of raking and humping... 1.5 inches of rain didn't help... my body hurts.

Great work Andy!:clap:

Great looking weld! No way I could do that.

Saturday I went fishing, then dropped a good-sized elm, with some climbing and some 084 time. Carrying 80+ lb. wet elm logs is my idea of fragrant fun! they don't call it Pi$$ elm for no reason! Then I watched my KU guys get back at the turncoat Roy WIlliams hahahahahah Go KU!:clap:

I live threee blocks east of downtown, and my church is on the downtown main drag. Sunday morning I mopped up a lotta beer, both spilled and kidney-strained. Gross stuff.:dizzy:

Cleaned up my back yard some on Sunday PM. Got sum saw time both days.

I finished restoring my Stihl 090AV. Last week Stihl Canada sent me 3 brand new covers [top,airfilter,rewind] with tags!! They were the very last ones in inventory!

Willard.:cheers:

Last edited:
lots of little stuff

• Ran the Mantis at a property I maintain to till up the weeds and put down some pine straw.
  • Put the chain brake assembly I won on Ebay on my old 028WB.
  • Replaced the fuel lines and pickup on my FC85 edger, tore into the carby and cleaned it out, re-assembled it and edged about 6 or 7 neighbor's yards to make sure it ran right.
  • Replaced the leaky ends of my garden hoses.
  • Played with my kids.
  • Rode bike with wife.
  • Drank beer.
  • Stayed up late and watched Axmen.

That's all.

Willard- you can't make a post about a restored 090 and not include pics....:greenchainsaw:

Yes your right Jacob , being a greenhorn on this site I am still a little slow in learning how to make a good post. Boy this posting can sure be addictive LOL!

I'm a little fussy with my saws and still have a few things to do to the 090 but I'll get some pics off tomorrow.

Nice repair Four Paws, was that clutch cover off the 981?

I spent the weekend working on my backhoe, knocking out and replacing bushings, pins, etc. Spring maintenance long overdue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

You have my condolences if thats a 3 lever case with side swing pedals.

:spam:

Refurbished 090

Willard- you can't make a post about a restored 090 and not include pics....:greenchainsaw:

I have a little story to tell everyone about my 090. Last year my worker and I had a contract cutting in half paper rolls for the local pulp & paper mill ,these rolls couldn't be sold because of defects so in order to fit them into the repulper they had to be cut in half. These rolls are 54" in dia.x 10 ft. long with about a mile of paper in them and weighing 7,000 lbs.This paper is used to make cement bags [very strong paper]. The only chain that would stand up cutting 45 rolls in a 12 hr.day of this stuff was Stihl harvester chain. It took 4 minutes on the average to cut through these rolls at full throttle. One day almost 3/4 through a roll the exhaust ignited the dust and scrap paper on the ground and the roll. With a helper handle on the end of the bar and a wedge driven in tight in the cut on the top of the roll I couldn't pull the saw out . Man was that fire hot . By the time my worker came with the mills big fire hose and I flooded the 090 and the flames , I thought the 090 was a goner. We got the saw out found the fuel line,starter handle, decomp. button ,spark plug cable and half the saws paint had burnt off. I replaced the starter handle with a stick. Wrapped electrical tape around the bare spark plug wire and found some fuel line hose . 3 pulls the 090 fired back to life and it finished the day and the next 3 days of the contract.

The 3 pictures here tell the story. I just bought the last 3 covers Stihl Canada had in inventory for the 090. I still have some of the plastic pieces, knobs,decomp. button and the hand guard on back order. So then my 090 will be complete again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back