Weekend Report - What ya doing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iCreek

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We had some good temps today, Saturday (40s) compared to the cold front that moved through last week, set some 2 year low records. The OWB really likes the cold weather, and my dad used alot of wood in his PE insert also. So this morning I headed into the woods behind the house and cut him some wood, 16" lengths. I use a wood stick with some markings 16" and 28", 16" for dad, and my OWB can take up to 30". Normally I used my 361, but got a new bar and chain on my 025, and I really enjoy using it when doing the small stuff for dad, the 10 lbs weight is really nice.

Here is a pic of Ash and some misc. wood, and my new/used ($125) beloved Stihl 025 with an 18" bar, the tree was dead fall from the ice storm last year. Cut a pickup load and drove it over to my dad's this afternoon, about 15 miles away. The below pic is one fuel tank in the 025, it seems to be more fuel efficient than my 029 and 361.....:)

What did everyone else do this weekend ?????

attachment.php

Last edited:
iCreek, you're killing me again with the no snow thing. I am running low on wood but can't get to the woods. I just came in 5 minutes ago from blowing snow with the tractor and 7ft blower, my wife is due home in an hour and she would have got stuck for sure. Other than that I ran the kids to 4H and karate today, visited my mom and stayed inside. Oh, and fed the owb a few times to get back up to temperature.

Last edited:
Last night I pulled the cylinder and piston out of the 024 I was given (it got run on straight gas). This morning I picked up the muriatic acid to clean the cylinder. I'll take the acid to it tomorrow....before I go to the motorcycle show with my son.

Watched the boys today and don't know about tomorrow...The wife hasn't told me yet...

I ground a few rocked out chains for a friend. Got them all evened up and got the one almost new chain back beyond all the tramp metal damage.:(

Picked up my deer from the locker mmm.... deer jerky. Wife found the last stash of last years today.

Put new electrical receptacles in our bedroom. Some of them were getting touchy to get good contact, plus they had about 3 different paint jobs worth of paint on them.

Filed the chain on the 372 and played with the kids. Wish I was out cutting but cut the extensor tendon loose in my left index finger so no chainsaw work for a while.:cry: :cry: :cry: I can't bend my finger for 4 weeks. It doesn't allow for a good grip on the saw.

The rest of you guys that can - cut a few rounds for me. I'll be thinking about you.

Don

Last edited:
iCreek, you're killing me again with the no snow thing.

Well blakey we have had two or three dustings, nothing much at all, and the snow only stayed around for a few days. Come to think of it, we have had a pretty mild winter so far. The ground is frozen, so getting out in the fields and woods is really easy.

Another thing I did this morning was order a Rim Sprocket drum kit and bearing for my 028 Super from Baileys. I put a new bar and chain on it and before I use it I want to install a new rim sprocket. So instead of using the stock one piece drum, I read some here, PM'ed a couple guys and decided to order the kit and convert it over so future rim sprockets replacements will be a breeze. I hope I am doing the right thing investing a little in these older Stilhs, instead of buying new ones, well me 361 is pretty new, but others are good 'ol Stihls.

finally insulated my three car garage! It has radiant floor heat, but I've had the t-stat set at 45*. Most of it has poured concrete walls, as it is built into a hill, but there are some steps in the side walls that are framed up. Only used three rolls of R19, and some plastic vapor bairior. I started hanging 7/16 OSB over the insulated areas, what a pain. I have no idea why I didn't do this 7 years ago when it was built, it would have been much easier before it was full of crap. Next project after I finish the OSB on the walls is to do either OSB or drywall on the ceiling, currently it's just unfaced insulation and looks like crap. I've got an apartment above the garage, so all this should help out keeping that place a bit warmer.

Made a tp to Kalamazoo to pick up parts for the Quadrafire.
I-96 was a comedy of nasty weather and synchronized ditching.

Had Lunch at Red Lobster... wont do that again.
Prices are still high, food has dropped to Long John Silvers level.

Swapped out fiber board and Ceramic blanket in the quadrafire, and watched Apaloosa.

Nice slow day.

Will be splitting and cutting tomorrow.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

finally insulated my three car garage! It has radiant floor heat, but I've had the t-stat set at 45*. Most of it has poured concrete walls, as it is built into a hill, but there are some steps in the side walls that are framed up. Only used three rolls of R19, and some plastic vapor bairior. I started hanging 7/16 OSB over the insulated areas, what a pain. I have no idea why I didn't do this 7 years ago when it was built, it would have been much easier before it was full of crap. Next project after I finish the OSB on the walls is to do either OSB or drywall on the ceiling, currently it's just unfaced insulation and looks like crap. I've got an apartment above the garage, so all this should help out keeping that place a bit warmer.

I vote OSB or Luan.

I just finished our 4 Season room, and still HATE sheetrock!

At least with OSB it will hold some weight without searcing for a stud and ya don't have to mud, tape, sand, and then clean up the friggin mess.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Ran the snowblower at my parents house and fed the wood furnace. Made plans for some carvings and played online. Can't wait for spring to get here.

Right now I'm running "Mikes Autobody" As a week ago our '04 Trailblazer got in an arguement with some guardrails. 9 below 0 yesterday A.M. The propane heater I've got in the garage is not keeping up very well. The bodyshop said 6 grand to fix the car, for 1500.00 in parts & my time, it'll be on the road in about another week. If I don't freeze first.

It was a toasty 12 degrees in the sun yesterday so I went outside and dug out the splits I left laying around my chopping block last week and stacked them. So far this season's haul is 2 full cords of oak, locust, a little bit of apple, and some poplar. I want to try to get at least 2 more stacked and split before the end of March so I have 4 ready to burn for next season. Tomorrow I head out to pick up a used Englander 28-3500 add-on.

WoW! I was going to.....

WoW! I was going to.....comment on a lot of your guys posts but I found I'd be doing to to all most all of them! You guys sound a lot like me! Doing things yourself because you either want to or have to.

When the sun finally gets up I'll be heading out to find another victim to cut down/up (most of the trees that I've been cutting are dead fall), then it's off to church, help around the house with/for my wife and baby and probably back out to cutting and splitting.

I'm thinking about trying to start selling some of this wood to make ends meet. I'm going to get a face cord ready to go and then post it on CL. What do you guys think is a fair price for Ash that lights ~ 1 minute or less after laying it on a bed of hot coals? This is practically right out of the woods. I don't know how long it's been drying, but if that woods caught fire it would be a hot one!

Dan:chainsaw:

Gutted my bathroom. Had to rip up the particle board that had been but in all around the tub and toilet and replace with plywood. Took out hot water heater to get to the tub faucet just to find out that the surround that was listed to go with the new tub was the wrong one. No bath, no hot water, luckily I have a half bath so at least there is a toilet.
Got ready to go to my parents to get cleaned up last night and someone broke down in my driveway, dodge diesel truck with trailer. Not too far from my house so someone came and pulled the truck and I pulled the trailer for them. On way back my truck started knocking. :cry: :cry: :cry: It sounds like upper back in the passenger head. I am hoping that the nut loosened on the rocker arm or a bad lifter and it will be a quick fix. Kinda afraid to touch anything today. On vacation this week and was planning to cut a couple of trailer loads of wood in the area close to me where the May tornado came through. More wood than I could burn in a lifetime within a 10 minute drive. Time to start working on the bath and hope nothing blows up....

Turning keys, again. My BIL just got a 4' T.V. and will be watch the games at his house and eating his food. :givebeer: :clap:

Got a stepped key made for the Honda engine for the splitter upgrade. Then I brought the engine in to the kitchen for assembly as it was a bit cold in the barn to handle metal yesterday. Got the pump on, so now all I have to do is get the splitter out of the snowbank (today?) and see what's next.

Right now I'm running "Mikes Autobody" As a week ago our '04 Trailblazer got in an arguement with some guardrails. 9 below 0 yesterday A.M. The propane heater I've got in the garage is not keeping up very well. The bodyshop said 6 grand to fix the car, for 1500.00 in parts & my time, it'll be on the road in about another week. If I don't freeze first.

I take it you don't want to make an insurance claim?

I'm finishing up a rebuild on an old Jotul 118 out on the barn/garage. New gaskets, touch up of furnace cement and a flat black paint job. These old "cigar" burner box stoves can pump out allot of heat for their size. I'm toying with the idea of "plugging" it into the middle chimney till I get a woodstock soapstone next year. Only thing missing is that "collar" that goes onto the back of the stove where the pipe hooks in. :cheers:
PS: got a pretty good snow coming our way. 4" down and another 10 coming.

Last edited:
Back