Weekend Report - What ya doing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to go out and split up the last remaining knotty rounds I have left here at the house. Then when that's all split, I'm headed out across my friends farm to finish splitting some Oak rounds I've had on the ground for over a month. To me it's all an excuse put the truck in 4wd and go play in the snow:D

Saturday...Finished work on a new cow manure digester, it provides heat and electricity to a 4000 head dairy farm.

Today....spending the day on my tractor and using the snowblower to catch up on snow clearing that I haven't been around to take care of.

If there's time, and I'm up to it, toss a cord of wood downstairs.

Cut wood for about 4 hours. Large oak laying at the top of a pretty steep slope. Got a new 8 cu ft. wheel barrow for transporting down the trail to my trailer. Worked pretty good... it has two wheels in the front. It was a lot of work for the amount of wood it yielded, but I'm happy for it. Was running low and was very pleased when I brought in a couple of sticks to test they started right up and brought the house temp up about 3 degrees.

I've read some posts about large stuff and should you even mess with it. The property where I'm cutting has 3 very large trees (at least a yard stick across). They are taking me a long time both based on their size and how they are at steep angles. (this is my first year cutting wood for my house so it's a learning process). I was heads up and propped some small logs where this tree was hanging a few feet above the ground. Got feeling pretty cocky. However, when i made a good cut freeing about 5 feet from the middle I realized a small log downhill to "catch" this thing would have been a great investment in time as I watched this run away train roll and tumble about 150 feet. I'm thinking I'll probably go down and retrieve for my prides sake.

It was a great day all in all. Brought home my 5x8 trailer with cut and chopped to size firewood. Had fun despite the cold and was able to learn how not to loose a weeks worth of wood when cutting on a hill!

Well since I have my OWB installed and wood cut I find myself looking for something to do. Unfortunately my wife wants me to paint today. I just hate painting but I guess I got to keep the little woman happy.

Just got home from helping a friend drop and cut up a dead elm...His BIL needed wood and could not be there when he dropped the tree so I said I would run across town and help...Got to run his old JD 55EV, I would bank on it being one of the nicest ones out there...Love those old echo's...:cheers:

Saturday...Finished work on a new cow manure digester, it provides heat and electricity to a 4000 head dairy farm.

Today....spending the day on my tractor and using the snowblower to catch up on snow clearing that I haven't been around to take care of.

If there's time, and I'm up to it, toss a cord of wood downstairs.

That sounds interesting. Capturing methane?

How does it work?

Split some more of the ash I cut over xmas, worked with my dog(She Did It thread) and am getting her to pull a sled. That went well.

Im watching some football now and trying to spread the word about the burr oak:clap:

More snow last night so plowed my place out and also the wood-roads in the 50 acre lot I'm cutting on this winter. Got about 5 hrs of cutting in today and pulled a few logs to the landing where I am building up some inventory. Temperature went up to 20 degrees today and it felt like a heat wave.

Maplemeister:

pignut

I spent my Sunday enjoying the sunny snow-filled skies and moderate temperatures. I walked the adjacent woodlot between two cattle fields and marked a couple of recently fallen Ash trees that I will buck in 14ft sections so the landowner can mill them into boards. I removed a rather large and extremely limby Pignut Hickory from a fenceline, and bucked it up into firewood rounds. I plan on coming back and splitting it then stacking it along the fenceline where it will season till next winter and both myself and the landowner will share this wood. I ran 4 tanks of fuel through my 372, and 3 tanks of fuel through my 346. I can't get over how much I enjoy that little 346! This was the first time running my 28" bar on my 372, and WOW was I ever impressed. Cut like a dream, and the extra length really helped with the last 14ft all the way to the butt-end. Any questions I had about it running a 32" bar have officially been answered!

Last edited:
Just had a water line burst under the house. What a freaking mess, the basement had about 2" of water in it, luckily I don't think anything got ruined. Had to crawl down in the dirt (mud) crawlspace and cut off and cap the offending pipe. I don't it was a freeze break, more like it was just a stress crack that failed at an elbow that had tension on it. I got covered in mud, insulation and other crap and was very thankful to have a hot shower when I was all done.

Great weekend!!!

The weather was warmer this weekend. Yeah!!! Yesterday started cutting on a 36" red maple trunk that split out from hurricane ike. Used my husky 353 with a 20"inch bar. Ground was frozen so took advantage and drove my s10 across yard to edge of woods were tree was. Cut up in 18" sections and quartered it with wedges and sledge. Then split with maul into pile. Worked until dark. Started today with a sunday morning run at park with my wife. Come home and changed oil and washed wifes 99' camry. What a car. And yes it was about 35F. cloudy, occasional snow flurry and damp. Just perfect for winter working outside. Then hit the woods again and finished out the maple. Would of made a good butt saw log but........... Then noodled some dead elm into quarters until dark again. Too tough for me to split with maul. What a great weekend outdoors. Now tomorrow got to go to work and hope to be able to rest up some. He! He! Tony

Friday cleaned up the mess I made last Sunday. Brought 3 saws with, 137, L65, 288xp, only used the 137 for about 15 min. as I had almost a whole truckload of small stuff (10" and smaller) laying around from last Sunday. Have at least another truckload of stuff to be spilt laying around. Then I decided to take a different way back to the road and almost got the truck stuck. Thankfully a little digging, swearing, rocking back and forth, a floormat shoved under one of the wheels and a heavy right foot got me out. Saturday had to work-very boring. Today got another load of wood out and have a good amount already cut up that I had to leave in the woods. So I got a good start already for this coming weekend.

I can't even remember Friday night but on Saturday, I tried to run the saw in the morning with no luck I guess 20 degree was too cold. So I went and help a buddy build an engine for a hotrod. (rice rocket haha) Today was just a perfect weather for firewood gathering (50's and clear sky) so I finished cutting up a 20"+ red oak that went down last fall. Cut in 18" rounds and 1/4 sewn and still it was about 25lb a piece. Hand carried up the hill to the house and split. My legs are sore. Worked until the sun set, ate, ran to the store, came home and made a click to.....

buy another Stihl!

Now I can't sleep and got to go back to work tomorrow. Sigh

Last edited:
Had to work Saturday untill noon. The weather was perfect for firewood stuff, about 18 above zero. Got home to the truck loaded with tools and the wife was sick. I ditched my plans and played with kids in front of the wood stove. Aroun 3:30 the Mrs. said she was feeling alittle better so Dad and i hauled 2 loads of hickory I dropped and cut last weekend. It was along a very nice lawn and with the griund froze was a perfect time to get in there. Also brought a small load of nice dry oak home from the meadow where we keep our wood. All in all it was a great day. By the way my brother went to funeral for a friend of his that he rode cycle with. 31 harleys in the funeral parade on an 18 degree day talk about die-hards.

Spit wood Friday and took one load to my house and part of a load to a lady in need.

Saturday I spent 8 hours driving (round trip) so my wife could pick up her dog.
Picture008-1.jpg

That sounds interesting. Capturing methane?

How does it work?

Solids, and some liquids are pumped underground to 80'dia x 20'high tank, mixed with a starter culture, then internal mixers, software and monitoring equipment, and anaerobic action take care of the rest. Methane is taken off the top, and a methane powered generator provides electricity. The heat from the composting is removed via heat exchanger and pumped to the various buildings for heat.
The composted inert matter is taken out at regular intervals and used for bedding, soil conditioner.

Excess power is sold to the utility.

Latest posts

Back